Music To Help Dogs With Sa? Anybody Try This Cd Before?

Guest IHeartDogs

Guest IHeartDogs

I have just read something somebody posted on a different forum regarding playing a CD (Through a Dog's Ear) and having very positive results at reducing anxiety from her dogs.

This is what she posted:

"I just bought the first 2 CD's of this series and wanted to let everyone know that it is great! I've been dealing with SA with my male (drooling, bitting wire cage, etc) and the CD calmed him down on the first time! I had the CD's playing all weekend and am very impressed.

Just wanted to share my great experience."

Here is the link to the CD http://throughadogsear.com/music_to_enjoy.htm

I would like to know if any GTers have heard of it and if it actually works? I wonder if this is too good to be true....

Edited by IHeartDogs

I hope it's better than the Canine Lullabies CD. That drove me insane. I did seem to help my thunderphobic dog though.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would have to say that the jury is still out at our house. The sound is very soothing, and it seems to help with an antsy dog in the car. I do put it on when I leave the house sometimes--if I have an anxious foster dog along with Seamus. I am not sure how much it helps. I sometimes think just putting on the music makes them think, "Oh no! She's leaving!" and they get more concerned than they would be otherwise. It does put me to sleep, however. :lol

S.jpg

I just downloaded it from iTunes (it's $9.99 there versus $14.99 at the site for a CD, btw).

It's pretty soothing. We play it randomly when Molly is resting, not just when we leave so she doesn't associate it only with leaving. It definitely put ME to sleep when I was laying on the couch the other night. Not sure if Molly really cared one way or another :P

Edited by arandomchic

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Before shelling out for a special CD I'd try just leaving on your radio! Find a station with quiet music/ human voices. Here in the UK the usual recommendation is the rather vile FM Classic, which has shortish bits of popular classical music introduced by honey-voiced DJs. I usually stick to BBC Radio 4 (the BBC's blend of news, documentaries and dramas so mostly quiet talk) as that's what the radio's tuned to for the mornings anyway.

Alternately try one of your own CDs on repeat, if you have something suitably soothing - Mozart? New Agey/ pan pipes/ whale music stuff?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I just play classical or Native American flute music & everyone stays calm but I play these every evening & sometimes during the day. The only music none of the dogs like is "Wipe Out" or Santana. Some of the dogs seem to have their favorites & will breathe in time to what's playing.

A friend gave me a different one, DogEase. Carl is not such a good rider in the car, it helped - sort of - for the first one or two car rides, but after that it seemed to annoy them when I played it at home.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014