My Grey Almost Died

Guest Ingear

Guest Ingear

I need some prayers for Katie. On Sunday I took my two greys over to my sisters to dog sit for 2 weeks while my house is under construction. I took the dogs out back and they were running and playing. With in a minute the most horrable and unexpected thing happened. My 71 pound girl Katie was impaled by the handle of a wheel barrel full of bricks. It penitrated about 3-4 inches into her chest and ripped it open. I ran over and immediatle noticed a very large flap of flesh and skin torn apart with a softball size hole in her chest. I grabben the flap and put it back in place while my brother-in-law got towels for me to cover up the area. I rushed her to the vet and was told she was in stable condition. Later that night the Doc called me to let me know she also had a partially collapsed lung. She underwent surgery in the night and the Doc said it was amazing she lived. Some vitals were exposed, jugular, arteries and the nerve bundle. None of them were damaged. However the large flap of skin was not viable and had to be removed. I got a chance to visit her yesterday around 1 and they walked her into the room. She was heavily medicated and shaken up buy other wise amazingly alive. Our concern now is a chest infection. The vets office agreed to board her for the 2 weeks I will be unable to take her and will monitor her health.

I would also like to thank a member (Heidi) of Greyhound Friends of NJ for her help in taking in my other dog at the last minute. She also was willing to care for Katie after the surgery, but the vet thought it best to keep her at the hospital. GFNJ is a wonderful group with the best members.

I'll keep you posted

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

OMG! I am so sorry this happened. You did handled it quite well, from what you wrote, and kept your head. What you did, and how you handled it, could very well have saved Katie's life!

If she's made it this far, hopefully, there is a good chance she will recover. It will be a long road, most likely, though.

Sending you strength, love, hugs and many prayers! Again, you and your BIL should feel good about how you handled this!

Dee and The Five

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

How scary :( and good on you for keeping your wits about you. I really do believe you saved her life!

Thoughts and prayers for an uneventful recovery

:hope

How horrible!

I hope Katie heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest NJgrey

Holy cow, hope she's OK!

And just want to add that, even though my experience with her is limited to a few phone calls, Heidi at GFNJ is awesome!

How awful. Keeping Katie in good thoughts and prayers. We wish her a full and speedy recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh my gosh!! How horrible! Hugs and prayers for Katie and you. Hope she will continue to recover well. And you're right - GFNJ is a great group.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest smudgebear
:o Sending lots of healing vibes Katie's way! I can't even imagine what that must have been like for you. Sounds like she was a very lucky girl all things considered. Hoping for a speedy and uneventful recovery. :goodluck