Using The Bathroom While Sitting On The Couch?

Guest nctarbugs

Guest nctarbugs

Got a question for the pros out there. My Dollie has been sitting on the couch and I have noticed what looks to be wet spots all over the couch. It seems she licks herself and she begins to use the bathroom. Is she actually using the bathroom while she is sitting there or is something else going on?? It doesn't have the smell of "pee". Thanks

Got a question for the pros out there. My Dollie has been sitting on the couch and I have noticed what looks to be wet spots all over the couch. It seems she licks herself and she begins to use the bathroom. Is she actually using the bathroom while she is sitting there or is something else going on?? It doesn't have the smell of "pee". Thanks

Hi. Welcome to GT - and good for you for asking. I think we need more specifics. Is she actually "Sitting" on the couch, or lying down? Are the wet spots located where her bottom is, or other places?

I ask, because some dogs drool in their sleep. And some dogs lick their leg, and make a wet spot. Some dogs will even lick the blanket, or couch under them while sleeping or reclining.

Also - how old is the dog - is she new to your home - and is this a new development?

Sorry to give more questions than answers... but I think we need more info to get to the answer - and don't worry - GT will get you an answer! LOTS of wise people on here!

Guest nctarbugs

It seems to be when she is sitting on the couch. She is not sleeping. It seems to be under her tail (bottom). Dollie is 2 years old and she has been with us about 7 months. The wet spots are very wet and I just had the change the sheets on our bed. It went thru 1 blanket and 2 sheets. I have notice this in the past couple of weeks, but did not think much of it until tonight when she was sitting next to me on the couch.

Thank you. Young dog, not new to your household - new issue. Is she spayed? How long ago?

I'd have to suggest a vet visit. Possible anal gland leakage (rare but not unheard-of in greys).... possible urinary tract infection causing involuntary elimination....possible post-spay incontinance. Just throwing out ideas here. All of them relatively simple and inexpensive to treat.

I think it's probably something medical, and not behavioral.

I'm sure others will chime in with more, and probably better, advice.

If it was me - I'd have a vet visit. Wet spots out the bottom, while sitting around casually, are not normal.

I think a vet visit is in the near future. She has been spayed about 2 weeks before we got her.

So... post-spay incontinance isn't the issue.

Good for you - check with the vet. You'll probably want to take a fresh urine sample - I'd suggest using a decent-sized Gladware dish that you're willing to throw away (at least 6" in diameter) - it's not easy to collect pee from a female! :lol ....Oh, you're probably going to get peed on a bit in the process! :blush I'd suggest trying to quietly sneak the dish under her when she's having her morning pee - but don't startle her! I've manage to collect the required sample ... but I ALWAYS get peed on in the process! :lol:eek

Good thing we love these pups! :lol

Please let us know what you find out.

Guest Tigonie

Since your couch doesn't smell like pee, I'm wondering if she isn't just licking the couch while grooming. My greyhound likes to lick beds/couches, whether she's grooming or not. I used to think it was leakage, but on closer observation, I realized it was licking. Still, it's not a bad thing to get it checked out, if you think she is leaking pee.

As for urine samples, I used to put on disposable gloves and use one of those big red plastic Solo cups. Now I've wised up and take my dog to the vet as soon as they open and let THEM collect the pee. (They don't charge extra.)

Guest RocketDog

Is it possible that your girl is just licking wet spots onto the couch, or even just leaving drool puddles? Cassie licks big giant wet spots onto whatever she's laying on - sometimes it starts with her licking at a leg, but often she'll skip that and just start washing the bed/sheet/couch! All of our 'furry' beds have big lick-marks on them, and she actually licked the varnish off some exposed wood on our old couch. She's also an obsessive licker of wounds, no matter how small, even going so far as to try and lick at wounds on other dogs when they are lying near each other.

I'm thinking it might be excessive licking, as well. If she's licking and the spot is under her tail, it would seem that she's licking her butt. This would lead me to two things: 1) she needs her anal glands expressed; and/or 2) she might have picked up worms from somewhere which causes itching in the anal area. Or she could have some sort of infection.

All need a vet visit but are relatively easy to treat.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just want to chime in here for those who have hounds that lick ....

Orvis makes the best lick-proof throws and bedspreads.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest greytkidsmom

Our girl does this. A small "puddle" on the couch where her bottom used to be. Hadn't been licking or anything. Doesn't smell like urine - almost a "metallic" odor. No UTI. We find that it happens less if we let her outside more often. My theory is that it is some "overflow" incontinence - her bladder gets stretched, the sphincter that keeps the bladder closed is stretched, and a little leaks out. We have discussed it with our vet and she agrees. As long as we keep her bladder empty (and often is only 6-7 trips out instead of 4), we don't have the problem.

Good luck!