Struggling With Whitey

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks everybody. We had family photos today and he hung in for it, tail wags to come outside with everyone. He's resting well now, doesn't seem painful. His legs are still swollen though. Thanks for the suggestion of Lasix - asked Dr Meg and she said 'worth a shot' so I'll pick some up later today and see whether it does any good.

I just don't feel like he is quite done yet. Going to take it day by day for now.

White is one who has been able to communicate with me pretty clearly what he needs, right from the beginning. And I am still hopeful that he will let me know...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Jen, I am so walking this path with you with my beloved Zeus. I know the pain, the frustration, the love, the wanting to keep them with us forever, the tinking this is it, then having a good meal, a walk around outside, a tail wag, a stroll over to give a kiss. It is such a dang nightmare. :bighug to you lady.

Thanks everybody. We had family photos today and he hung in for it, tail wags to come outside with everyone. He's resting well now, doesn't seem painful. His legs are still swollen though. Thanks for the suggestion of Lasix - asked Dr Meg and she said 'worth a shot' so I'll pick some up later today and see whether it does any good.

I just don't feel like he is quite done yet. Going to take it day by day for now.

White is one who has been able to communicate with me pretty clearly what he needs, right from the beginning. And I am still hopeful that he will let me know...

Good luck. If your doc didn't mention it, it will make him extra thirsty, so keep lots of water nearby for him, and of course he'll need extra potty breaks too. I hope it helps Whitey like it did Cosmo.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest bigorangedog

Thought I would post a little update on Whitey. He's hanging in. His spirits are good, although he seems a bit more tired than usual. He is still able to get himself up and bop outside, even trot around a little. I still feel as though he is not ready to go. I've talked with him about it and told him that I will do whatever he wants, he just needs to let me know. I think he will. He still seems pretty happy. Puts his ears up to look for treats, wants ear rubs, wags to go out. But I know we don't have much time. I'm increasingly convinced that his leg swelling is hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, and not lymphedema. (Although the rear leg swelling seems to have gone down a bit since yesterday.) We've been treating with DMSO gel and Lasix as of yesterday so we'll see what happens. He's able to rest comfortably though with the pain cocktail we're using now.

Here he is in his favorite bed, using Brad as a pillow:

26183_1369017859757_1061032718_31054418_8210277_n.jpg

In happier days (just last week!) here he is running:

26183_1369016259717_1061032718_31054415_3677835_n.jpg

Here's a "sneak peek" at the family photos from yesterday (this is the only shot I have seen, so who knows whether this is the best one we got!), with Palu in mid-sit and Maisy's eyes closed:

26183_1368326522474_1061032718_31053145_8043782_n.jpg

And one she took of little White:

26183_1368326762480_1061032718_31053146_5570886_n.jpg

Some fine day I will probably do a painting from that shot. Love his sweet face.

We appreciate continued good thoughts as we take it day by day here.

Jen

Guest Energy11

Wow! YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL FAMILY!!!! colgate.gif

The kids are ADORABLE, fur and skin :-))) Cute hubby, too!

Whitey if sooo handsome! He does look good!

Just do what you are doing, taking it day by day.

Sending you all the love, strength and prayers we have!

Dee and The Five

Glad to hear the swelling seems a bit better today. In case it helps you, Cosmo's dosage was 60 mg of lasix twice a day. She weighed about 60 pounds pre-amp.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

What an amazing family photo! Look at all those gorgeous faces.. oh, and the people look good too. :lol

I'm glad you're having more time to spend with Whitey. I think his peace is enveloping you and allowing you and Whitey to share this time with complete trust in each other.

The girls are just beautiful!

:grouphug to you all

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so very sorry you have to go through this.....its the worst. Your doing a good job...everything you can do.

My thoughts are with you...

p.s. Your family pic is lovely

Guest fandogs

I lost my Rhoda a year ago.. to kidney failure. I had to make that final decision and was so very worried that I would not know when, or wait too long.

A friend suggested to me that when your beloved dog stops "looking outward" and can only look "in".. that it was time.

I wasn't sure I understood what she meant.. but on Rhoda's last day with me, I had my camera out taking pictures of her. (She was very photogenic)and the last image I took.. I saw the look. There was no doubt in my mind. Rhoda was a girl, that for all her years, SMILED in every photo I had taken. This last day she had finally ceased to smile, and had turned inward. The joy was gone, and I did exactly what she wanted me to do.

Follow your heart, Whitey knows he is loved..

Guest bigorangedog

Daily Whitey update: He had a good beginning to his day. He was in a good mood, the swelling in his legs is down quite a bit, and he gave many tail wags to go in the car. We went to the vet for Apollo to have his incision rechecked (it had been infected) and he wanted to come, jumped in by himself pretty easily.

Since the vet, he has been very tired and has mostly been sleeping.

The vet felt that he was doing remarkably well considering the extent of the mets. She thinks he has an amazingly good pain tolerance to have such a good attitude these days. But she agrees that he's not ready to go yet. The spinal tumor is beginning to show some neurological effects -- he's moving his left rear leg strangely when he walks. So the vet thinks it probably won't be long. She made sure we knew we could call her anytime and she would help him through it even on a weekend (although she'll be bawling her eyes out along with us). But we continue to go day by day.

Little White enjoyed some Arby's popcorn chicken post-vet, and is now flopped out on his favorite bed (which is a "Love Sac" beanbag chair which was never intended to be a dog bed but I have never gotten to sit in it myself). So I think he is pretty happy still.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts . . . hope everyone has more good days.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I know these days are precious to you, and filled with love for Whitey, and that is what is important. I have no doubt that when it is time, you will know.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Energy11

Glad you are taking each day at a time. Only way you can ...

Glad Whitey is being spoiled! Send him our love, please!