Turns Out Boris Loves The Rain

Guest jharr

Fair weather hounds  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How does your greyhound respond to rainy days!

• Can't wait to get out in it.
    • Is hesitant to go out when it is wet.
    • I have to drag the beast kicking and rooing.
    • It'snot worth the hours of effort followed by pouting, so I gave up.

Guest jharr

We don't get much of it here in sunny San Diego, but today was drizzly and Boris went right out and started rubbing up against every wet bush he could find. Then he wanted to play. I like the rain, but mostly I wanted to get ready for work. I hadn't included play time into the morning walk schedule.

Mine will eventually go out when they can hold it no longer. No fans here. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest krystolla

Gee, I figured Hack was the only rain-crazy dog out there. He loves the rain, the stormier the better. We had a window-rattling thunderstorm going on and he was wagging his tail and pointing at the door knob. :P

They talk about racehorses being "mudders" -- running better on soggy ground -- I wonder whether it's the same in greyhounds?

I think this is the first time I've read a GT post and thought, thank god Inu doesn't have this trait. :lol

You have to drag me out kicking and screaming, so I appreciate the same in my hounds.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

My two boys - big strong handsome hunks of hounds that they are! - act like the rain is made of acid and wll melt them if even one drop touches their precious hides! They will run out to the driest spot under the trees, do their business in the fastest time possible and run back to the back door. Where they proceed to press themselves under the eves so hard they will likely have wood grain on their pretty fur by summer!

My girls, on the other hand, don't seem to mind one way or another. Toni loves to "boosh transe" when the bushes are soaking wet. Cash likes to be outside in any weather as long as it's not: windy, thunderstorms, fireworks, lawnmowers, hammers pounding, leaf blowers, or any other sounds/sight/whatever that she picks to be scared of at that time. Her best time of day appears to be after 10pm when it's pouring rain. Of course! This is when she likes to roam the yard sniffing bushes and random bits of dirt, and making Momma go from one end of the yard to the other to pick a spot to do her business!

Oh yes! They all LOVE getting dried off with a big terry towel afterwards though!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Jubilee251

You're lucky! Molly held it for 13 hours one time during the day once - it was raining when the dogwalker came by and she would NOT pee, even in a raincoat. She just froze and stood there staring at the dogwalker miserably. :P

Guest Tigonie

Emma didn't used to be willing to go potty in the rain, but fairly early on, she and I had to get that straight. I walked her around in a downpour for 45 minutes one morning (thank goodness for flex schedule jobs). After that, she has always done her business quickly, because she knows I won't take no for an answer.

She doesn't like snow, either, until it stops snowing.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I couldn't really vote because my dogs could care less about the rain. They just go outside when they need to go potty. They don't love it or hate it. They just don't care.

Guest zombrie

Mira HATES the rain. She'd rather hold it all in rather than going outside for two seconds...but she loves the pool :blink:

Edited by zombrie

Buck didn't care much for thunderstorms (at one point I had him and foster mix Kenny shaking on either side of me like a magic fingers bed during a thunderclapper) but if it was just a nice steady rain, especially in the daytime, he would go out in the yard and just stand there -- for a very long time. He loved his pool and he loved rain -- as long as it didn't have thunder attached.

Overall all my kids and fosters have been famous for sticking their nose out the dog door and figuring out how bad they have to go vs. how hard it is raining. I've had some hole up 12+ hours during major rainstorms.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest shanesmom

Elton does not like the rain but goes right out in it and does his business as fast as possible so he can come right back in. He knows he's not coming in until he goes.

I didn't vote because you don't have the 'doesn't care one way or the other' option. :lol

Sid really couldn't care less what the weather is doing - rain, snow, wind, cold, hot, he wants to go out. Of course, he enjoys longer walks if the weather is perfect, but he'll go, no matter what. Susan was the same.

Jim and Renie - neither much liked the rain, or howling winds, but they'd go out anyway. They'd just try to hide behind me when it got a bit much.

Jack, though, he seemed to positively revel in bad weather! He honestly seemed to LOVE being out in wind, rain or snow. His ears would be flying behind him, and he'd be striding out, nose up, eyes squinnied half shut sometimes, but snorting with pleasure. Funny little dog, he was... I miss him. :wub: I wonder if it was to do with the fact that he had a really thick, woolly coat?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Monty absolutely HATES the rain. When we put his leash on and go out onto the porch and open the door and he sees rain, he visibly shrivels and looks like the most abused dog ever. Allie doesn't care, so she's pulling on the leash when I open the door and Monty has to be dragged outside. He also doesn't understand that the sooner he potties the sooner he goes back in, so he holds it and holds it and holds it and we both get soaked and even more miserable.

Some days I wish he had more of a brain. I think Allie got about half of his IQ allotment in addition to her own. rolleyes.gif

Guest Drumhellergrey

Two walks, no matter how hard it is raining, or snowing , or blowing, and or freezing. Kinda like old fashioned mail delivery, come to think of it.

The only question I have is how does this fit into training ? ... although I guess it is behavior... so skip my asking.

Hate it hate it hate it. I will open door, they will take one step out and turn around and come back it, then comes chasing them around the house blocking the steps so they don't run back upstairs. Finally get then out and they will stand on the deck in the rain rather than go down to pee/poop.

It's unreal what we go through,

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My boys are creatures of habit. They know they go for a long walk every night around 10:30 pm. If it's raining at said walk time (which is unusual), they STILL want to go, even if they get soaked. They don't walk any faster when it's raining and we don't have raincoats for them. WE'RE out there with umbrellas and rainjackets on but they walk their regular route, doing their regular sniffing etc as if it weren't raining. So I don't know how much they love the rain, but it doesn't bother them one bit to be out in it! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest jharr

Ok, I may have to revise my response a bit. This morning Boris and I went out for our 6:30 walk and it was a little cool and cloudy, but that usually doesn't mean anything here in San Diego. So I am in a sweatshirt and we left Boris' coat in the closet. About 15 minutes out the skies open up and the wind begins to howl. I was inclined to stand under a tree and stay dry until the tempest passed, but Boris wanted to walk. However, once we were out in it for a while, he turned toward home and wanted to trot all the way back. Maybe it was the wind he didn't like, but we both got soaked. Thankfully mom had a towel all ready for Boris when he walked in the door.

Guest Heehoo

Pipi-Francine loves the rain, loves running in the yard during & after the rain. And loves laying in her pool. Her birthday is May 25th.

Growing up I had a dapple grey percheron/quarterhorse mix, this horse loved the rain, loved going in lake & just standing in the cool water. By the time I got him, he was white.

Pipi-Francine is white with little black freckles, Mister was white with little black freckles. Mister's previous owner said he was born in May.

When was Boris born? he he he