Help With Product To Use To Clean Butt

Guest mickie37

Guest mickie37

Lupo can't clean his butt due to his GME. I use baby wipes as needed and once a week he gets a clean up in the shower. He tolerates the shower but hates the baby wipes. I have put a wee bit of vaseline around the anus when I see bits of dry poo to soften it before cleaning. Any suggestions of a product that I could use that he could tolerate better.

A little baby oil will loosen the "bits left behind"

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest mickie37

I have no idea :dunno

What's GME?

granulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis

Are you using the wipes with no alcohol or perfumes? If they have either that could be irritating him.

they are alcohol free but smell like baby powder. I will try to find a brand that is scent free also. Thank you.

Guest argolola

I have been using sensitive skin baby wipes on Rudy's feet, and they are red. I had to stop using them, so I bought several bundles of white washclothes and clean the pups with warm water, then I can wash and re-use. So far it's helping.

God bless you sweet Lupo.

Guest dmona

My vet, when we lived in WV, told me to use Witch Hazel back there after my cocker spaniel had her anal glands expressed, I have occasionally used it on my greyz.

Guest mickie37

thanks everyone for your replies. I have some old linen dish cloths which are soft, soft, soft so today I soaked one in warm water and used that to wipe his butt. He was not happy but no scream. Maybe if I put some baby oil in the warm water that will help. I will get some witch hazel at the drug store and see how he reacts to that.

I was so happy to get some new ideas. We try to provide an environment as free of stress as possible and the butt wiping was causing him a lot of stress. Lupo sends lots of slobber kisses to all of you.

I do use the unscented baby wipes. You can get them in supermarket brands or, I have purchased the Huggies when I had a coupon. The Huggies are very soft like cloth and thicker than the supermarket brands. My guys don't seem to mind me wiping their butts. They sort of line up when they come back in from the yard. I also use them if their feet get very dirty and since Paul only has nine teeth, I use a wipe to clean his face.

Don't be smart now; I use a different one for butts, or feet than I use on his face. He gets a new one. :lol

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds