I Think Dusty May Have Had A Stroke

No change as of this morning. He did manage to drag himself outside at 2 am and peed but fell repeatedly. (He held for almost 20 hours, my poor boy.) At 6 this morning he couldn't get up. At 10 am, he's still just laying on his bed. He even let Maggie lie down near him and TOUCH him! I would say his appetite is fine (at least for some canned food and leftover prime steak). Unfortunately, Dusty has always freaked out if lifted or assisted in any way. Now, freaking him out like that just makes his LP worse. He was in pretty bad shape from the LS before yesterday. I feel guilty letting him go, but even if he was restored to where he was before yesterday, quality of life wasn't great and I know this not being able to get up is stressing him out.

My vet will come by this evening (unless we see a change today) and evaluate. My poor, sweet, sweet boy :weep

A glimmer of hope! Out at 2am, fell repeatedly and then couldn't get up again. A third dose of predisolone this am. Peed on himself/his bed this am sometime. 2pm he got up and went out to pee. Got himself back in, had a drink and back on the bed. I am still having the vet come this evening to evaluate. The leg that wasn't working at all seems a little swollen and still knuckles under. Don't know if he put any weight on it or not - DH was with him for the 2pm pee break and is out now. I'll check the info when he gets back.

Hoping I have good news later.

Vet was here. Dusty is still here! Doesn't think it was a stroke. Maybe a progression of his LS or somehow hurt himself (he was home alone - Maggie was out with us). Knuckling under seems to have stopped. Not going out since 2 pm. Managed to pee on 1 comforter and 3 dog beds a little while ago but now at lest I know he won't have to go for awhile. Vet suggested giving him a few days to see if he makes any further progress so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully tomorrow brings more improvement. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers.

Good news! Sending continued good thoughts and prayers for your Dusty.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

:candle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

A little more improvement this morning. A little easier standing up. Got himself outside, all the way to the grass and beyond. Leg is still not good - but amazing improvement since Sunday! We'll see how the day goes. I will be talking to the vet every day.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Vet was here. Dusty is still here! Doesn't think it was a stroke. Maybe a progression of his LS or somehow hurt himself (he was home alone - Maggie was out with us). Knuckling under seems to have stopped. Not going out since 2 pm. Managed to pee on 1 comforter and 3 dog beds a little while ago but now at lest I know he won't have to go for awhile. Vet suggested giving him a few days to see if he makes any further progress so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully tomorrow brings more improvement. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers.

I'm glad that Dusty is improving! Have you considered belly bands to help with the peeing? Pred is infamous for making dogs super thirsty and what goes in must come out! I use belly bands on Spencer when needed. I use Poise pads to keep him dry when wearing it.

How is he doing today?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's even a little better today than yesterday. I am totally amazed! Had you asked me on Sunday, I would have been 95% sure he would be leaving us on Monday. Walking further each day to pee/poop. His left rear hock is very much dropped compared to the right one (his LS had caused them to both be dropped for quite some time now). He's not up from his bed very much BUT he can get up and can wobbly walk to go out or eat. His appetite has remained good throughout. Today he even tried to "trot" but he and I decided that wasn't a very good idea :eek

He's still on the pred so I don't know what will happen when he's off. I'm assuming something happened stemming from the LS (maybe nerve is being pinched from his back?) which could account for the initial knuckling under. I guess time will tell. Thanks for thinking of us. :)