Ranitidine (Zantac)

Tuffy is taking deramaxx for is arthritis and it's giving stomac ache... The vet give him ranitidine (human zantac) to help... it may have help the stomac but the bowels did not like it at all! soft/liquid poop.. :(

so I stop the zantac and gived some rice/minced beef to resove the soft poop problem...

is all anti-acid medication have that side-effect?

I will talk the the vet tomorow about this.. wanting to know your ideas on this situation...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Might need to change to a different medication for him. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I give my Deramaxx with generic Pepcid AC, and we have no problems with loose poop. It could be either Zantac or the Deramaxx causing the poopy problem. Might be a good idea to discuss with your vet, and he/she might want to change the medication.

Good luck!

We've had great luck with Pepcid AC, too - I give 10mg (one of the regular dose pills, not the maximum strength ones) and it REALLY helps with stomach upsets. I have not noticed any poop problems with it.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest Energy11

We've had great luck with Pepcid AC, too - I give 10mg (one of the regular dose pills, not the maximum strength ones) and it REALLY helps with stomach upsets. I have not noticed any poop problems with it.

Yep! Same dosage I use here, too! colgate.gif

Edited by Energy11

We use generic Pepcid - famotidine - 10 mg dose (1 pill). Make sure the pills you're giving him have NO other ingredients. Some of the "extra strength" acid reducers use other drugs/chemicals and can sometimes contain sorbitol or another artificial sweetener (which are dangerous for dogs).

Good thoughts for Tuffy!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

As to poop production implications of acid reducers, Pepcid slows things down, Zantac speeds them up. Sounds like you need Pepcid for this dog at this time. It's not that one's better than the other; it's all relative to what the problem is.

ETA: It's not a really *big* effect, you understand. It's just a tendency in one direction or the other as a very mild side effect of these two meds.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I have used Zantac (generic) and I have used Pepsid (generic) and I have used prilosec (generic) with great results and no poop problems with any of them. The reason I prefer Prilosec is because it's a once a day dose and easier for me and the dog, esp. if you have to pill the dog who won't take it in food.

But usually with these things, if one bothers the dog (or human for that matter) you try one of the others. Good luck!