Dislocated Toe

Guest maelynnie

Guest maelynnie

My grey dislocated her rear right foot outer toe and couldn`t put weight on it. I took her to the vet and xrays showed no broken bones and we were to return in a week for them to check it. I returned yesterday and the soft tissue was swollen so returned today and they sedated her and re-xrayed and bandaged it for a week. I don`t know what bandages are going to do if its not broken. They also noted bruising on abdomen and petechiae so ordered lots of blood tests. She could have a liver problem and she has lost 6 lb in 1 week. Pepper is going to be 6 in July and I am really worried now. Anyone else have this problem with their pup???

Guest Energy11

We've had a dislocated outer toe here with Curfew, which I popped back into place and we did vet wrap it and limit his exercise for a few weeks. It is fine now.

Looks like the bloodwork is in order for Pepper. It could be anything. Based on the symptoms, bruising on abdomen and petechiae, I might ask the vet to draw blood for a full tick panel, as well. The BEST place to send the tick panel is Protatek Reference Labs in Arizona. THEY test for ALL tickborne diseases.

Sending hugs and good luck! Dee and The Five

Zoe dislocated that same toe. However, the dislocation also split the skin and she had stitches, so it was wrapped for that if nothing else. We kept it wrapped for a few weeks and she was limited to leash walking for several weeks and then no running or zoomies for a total of 3 months after the dislocation. We are now back to normal and she runs like the nutball that she was before. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest abbysmom

My Abby also dealt with a dislocated outside rear toe. If I understand correctly, the bandaging was to help prevent further dislocations and to allow the tendons(?) to tighten up after the dislocation. I know a lot of dogs don't have any further problems with dislocated toes. We weren't so lucky. Abby started to have repeated dislocations (once a week)with that toe, and I eventually opted to have the toe amputated. Hopefully, you won't have repeats of this toe issue, but for Abby the amputation went very well and didn't bother her at all. I was very happy I made the decision I did.

I hope your bloodwork comes back okay, but Abby's experience also showed me that some liver issues are quite treatable. She was diagnosed with immune mediated hepatitis at age 10 (and she was very ill at that time). She responded very well to treatment (we visited an internist) and had 4 1/2 good years (with lots of meds and supplements) after diagnosis. (I eventually lost her to Osteosarcoma, not the hepatitis.)

Hoping for good blood results for you, and wishing you all the best.

Laurie

Edited by abbysmom

Guest RocketDog

Rocket dislocated the outside toe on his right front foot last year, and after weeks and weeks of bandaging to keep it in place we still had problems with it popping in and out of joint with even the slightest touch. We made the decision to have it amputated, and so far so good on the healing. Hopefully your girl won't need such drastic measures, and fingers crossed for good bloodwork, too!

Guest maelynnie

Rocket dislocated the outside toe on his right front foot last year, and after weeks and weeks of bandaging to keep it in place we still had problems with it popping in and out of joint with even the slightest touch. We made the decision to have it amputated, and so far so good on the healing. Hopefully your girl won't need such drastic measures, and fingers crossed for good bloodwork, too!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.