Thunderstorm Fears

I think everyone knows I am a new grey owner (3 months). Last night we had a very bad thunderstorm that lasted for several hours. He shook so bad his tags were ringing and he was slobbering and panting very badly. I tried putting him in a room with now windows..no help. He also had to go to the bathroom really bad, but of course would not go outside. He just stood in the middle of the room shaking. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guest scfilby

This is how Mickey acts.

I can actually hear her shaking. She also paces, pants and whines.. We have tried all sorts of remedies from shirts to drugs and nothing calms her completely, but benedryl helps, if given in advance. Lots of pups will be more comfortable in a bathroom. We put Mickey's dog bed in ours and she will lay there mostly quiet between really loud crashes of thunder.

You can give a dog that weighs 75 lbs. 3 25 mg. tablets. If that doesn't work you can try melatonin 3 mg. You can also try Rescue Remedy or a Dap Defuser if the others don't work. The best thing is to not make a fuss over him. The more you fuss the worse they get. Try and provide him a "safe" place such as a closet or bathroom, with a bed in it so he can go and hide until the storms are over. If you can get ahead of the storm, watch the t.v. and see if storms are in the forecast and for their approximate time of arrival and dose him before they arrive, you get a little ahead of the game. I have 3 who I dose with Melatonin because Benadryl didn't work for them. I kept an eye on the radar on our weather channel and when I saw it was about an hour away I dosed them all and they do very well that way. I have one that still shakes but not as badly as if not dosed before hand.

Also wanted to add if you have the T.V. on, turn up the volume (as loud as you can stand it anyway) or turn on the stereo and play soothing music. That also helps around here. If Bebe can't hear the thunder she doesn't react as badly. I also close all the shades and curtains to keep the lightning hidden.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest smudgebear

Shadow is like this. I've had some luck with melatonin 3mg and I also find that soothing music helps. I have a CD called Canine Lullabies that works particularly well.

Guest smarthound

You're probably already getting the impression that different things work for different dogs. Bruce responds well to a drop or two of pure lavendar oil between the shoulder blades. I also put one of my tee shirts on him and cinch it with a scrunchy so it fits him closely. It's an inexpensive form of the commercial storm capes that seem to work for some dogs.

As mentioned previously, don't fret over him. This will only reinforce his fear.

This problem is so common, there's actually a book on the topic.

The Big Bang: How you can help your dog cope with thunderstorms and fireworks by Claudeen E. McAuliffe (Paperback - May 31, 2006)

Guest sheila

some ppl have had good results using the Canine Lullabies CD. You can watch a video of it here.

others have found help using a Storm Defender Cape. It's unfortunate that these capes are so spendy. I can and have made these for under $10 in materials. I'd be willing to share my 'recipe' with anyone who sews and would like to know how to make on on their own.

http://www.stormdefender.com/

I had a storm phobic dog that really seemed to find relief using Bach Rescue Remedies.

http://www.rescueremedy.com/products/

Guest krystolla

My boy isn't thunder-phobic (possibly the only thing he's not afraid of) but the shepherd-mix I petsit is. Ironically, she's named Storm.

What's worked for her is a really long walk if we know a storm is going to hit. When she's tired out she'll sleep through the storm, or at least have less energy to pace and fret. Of course, it's not always an option but better than nothing.

You might also want to try a white noise generator, it might help block out some of the storm noise. I'm not sure if it's made a difference for Storm-the-dog, she insists on sleeping in the doorway to guard us when she's visiting and might not hear it from there.

Good luck with your phobic furball.

we swear by the storm defender cape. we used this last night on murray, our thunder phobic greyhound. he was shaking like a leaf before ths storm. within 30 minutes of putting the cape on him his shaking had stopped. they give you a money back guarantee when you buy the cape so you have nothing to lose. this things works like a dream in our house.

IMG_1554.jpg

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Nothing helps Elsie, calming signals, canine lullabies, benedryl, holistic calming aids, capes... until we used 10mg of valium. It works. She is not happy, but at least she can stay in one spot. It gets so bad that when I have my arm around her, my teeth are chattering from the vibration. I am afraid she will have a heart attack.

:(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks everyone. I actually had bought one of the coats a few days ago. I didn't know they could be made for little or nothing. I also put a call into the vet today and she said to try him on 50mg of Benedryl. If 50mg didn't help, to up it to 75mg. I will also try the music and the dryer sheet. Again, thanks.

I've had dogs this bad with thunder, and also fireworks - the two usually go together. The DAP diffuser (Comfort Zone in the US) helped a lot with Jim, nothing helped with Renie. Nothing. Although I didn't try the official Storm Defender cape. I did try other close fitting clothing, but not the real deal. Even the desensitising CDs didn't work, we'd gradually work up to a certain volume and she'd be fine and then the next little tiny notch up and she'd freak again, and then we'd have to go right back to square one. I'm just SO GLAD Sid is OK with both! Happy dances! Because it certainly isn't fun for anyone when they're so terrified.

You can give a dog that weighs 75 lbs. 3 25 mg. tablets.

Just to clarify - you do mean 'three 25mg tablets' don't you? And NOT '325mg'.

I know you know, it's just not 100% clear on first reading and I don't want anyone's dog passing out cold. :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest sheila

Yes, the vet said since he weights 75-80 lbs. I could give him 3 tablets at 25mg. each. If that did not work she would prescribe him something, but I don't want to do it if possible.

one thing about the capes that I think is helpful is if you put it on your dog BEFORE the storm actually hits. Try watching weather reports so you know ahead of time. My Sammy is one that seems to sense a change in the air at least an hr before I hear the first boomer and starts to pace and begins to pace and pant. By the time a storm reaches us she is already spooked and I don't think the cape will help her then.

The way I understand it, the way the cape works is that it blocks the electro somethingorother from the dogs body and fur that makes them feel creepy and scares them.