Separation Anxiety--Please Help!

Guest stufts

Guest stufts

So we just adopted our retired racer about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Her name is Lola and she's 7 years old. We are not her first home, she was in a home previously--but the owners ended up abandoning her apparently for several days to a week--until she was found and brought back to the Greyhound Rescue.

She is super sweet and gentle, a little shy and wonderful.

The first week everything was going great. If we had to leave, we'd leave her in her crate and she'd be fine when we got back. A few times since then, I've attempted to leave her out of the crate while we left. Again, everything was fine--but then we've started finding poop in the house. I went back to putting her in the crate when we left. She's pooped INSIDE the crate twice now. And today when I got home and let her out she IMMEDIATELY threw up on the floor--smelled awful, I'm pretty sure it was poop. So I think she pooped in the crate again, then ate it????

I'm really upset and not sure what to do next...I'm at a loss if she's even pooping IN her crate AND eating it?? She must be feeling really anxious and my theory is that she was traumatized so badly by being abandoned, that whenever we leave she thinks it's going to happen again :(

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated!!!

Thanks so much,

Sandy

Edited by stufts

:( Poor Lola

I leave the radio or tv on and made a point of leaving often but only for short periods of time. I haven't had my grey very long and she's doing well with this so hopefully others will have some more ideas that will help.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest happygrey

I would suggest working on leaving her alone for short periods before leaving her for long periods. The first time you "leave" just step outside for a minute and then come back and act as though it's not a big deal. Gradually increase the length of time until she gets used to it.

How long does she have to stay alone at a time? Is it possible for you to bring her with you (leaving her in the back of the car) for a while?

Edited by happygrey

How long are you usually gone? She may just need a regular schedule and/or some house training or possibly alone training. You can usually tell what the problem is after trying each one of those things.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest stufts

She doesn't stay home alone very long 1-3 hours at a time maybe? Do people suggest that I do the alone training while she's crated or free in home? Because once alone training seems to be working, do I then have to start the process all over again with her OUT of the crate? I just want to do the best job I can...Thanks..

Sandy

Guest twhitehouse

I would say if your ultimate goal is to go without the crate, then do the alone training that way and see how she does.

Jenn

Agreed. Until you get the pooping thing more under control too, you can always babygate her into a room where cleanup with be easy...like the kitchen. She should be okay out of the crate, as long as she's not being destructive. If she starts to be destructive (i.e. chewing woodwork, furniture, etc) then you can muzzle her while you're gone for her safety.

I would also leave her with a kong to keep her busy and some soft music on. Keep up the alone training as it does pay off. A great resource for more detailed instructions is "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. You can get on Amazon for pretty cheap, and it's definitely worth the read!

Has she had a full vet check, including fecal?

Could also help to take her for a good long walk (or play session outdoors if you have a fenced yard) before you leave. That can help to "get things moving" so any poops occur before you leave and not while you're gone. Sometimes a new dog is just a bit nervous about your leaving, which can push potty needs over the edge while you're gone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stufts

So here's an update on Lola..

I talked to the rescue president who had some good advice which I followed.

She is now back to sleeping in her crate at night in our room (and fine with it!).. But she has still pooped IN the crate when we leave the house..

The last two times we left the house, I put her in our mudroom (which has a half door) so it's the perfect place..but she pooped there too when we were gone. And both times I had taken her out to pee and poop right before I left.

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I am. I really don't know what else to do. To let you know again:

She's 7 years old and has been in a home before. But the family abandoned her for several days to a week before she was found alone and brought back to the rescue. Now we've had her for about 4 weeks.

She's the sweetest thing, but is still following me EVERYWHERE I go in the house..which tells me she's still insecure about being here.

:(

Guest gecko_foot

So we just adopted our retired racer about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Her name is Lola and she's 7 years old. We are not her first home, she was in a home previously--but the owners ended up abandoning her apparently for several days to a week--until she was found and brought back to the Greyhound Rescue.

She is super sweet and gentle, a little shy and wonderful.

The first week everything was going great. If we had to leave, we'd leave her in her crate and she'd be fine when we got back. A few times since then, I've attempted to leave her out of the crate while we left. Again, everything was fine--but then we've started finding poop in the house. I went back to putting her in the crate when we left. She's pooped INSIDE the crate twice now. And today when I got home and let her out she IMMEDIATELY threw up on the floor--smelled awful, I'm pretty sure it was poop. So I think she pooped in the crate again, then ate it????

I'm really upset and not sure what to do next...I'm at a loss if she's even pooping IN her crate AND eating it?? She must be feeling really anxious and my theory is that she was traumatized so badly by being abandoned, that whenever we leave she thinks it's going to happen again :(

Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated!!!

Thanks so much,

Sandy

I would take her to the vet to rule out any medical issues first. Mine never goes in the house unless (1) he's not feeling well and (2) I'm too slow in getting him outside. I had the same thing happen with mine, and I'm still not sure what caused it. Thankfully, it resolved within a day or so. Are there any chemicals, food, blankets, etc. that your dog can get into/eat while you're away?

Guest stufts

I would take her to the vet to rule out any medical issues first. Mine never goes in the house unless (1) he's not feeling well and (2) I'm too slow in getting him outside. I had the same thing happen with mine, and I'm still not sure what caused it. Thankfully, it resolved within a day or so. Are there any chemicals, food, blankets, etc. that your dog can get into/eat while you're away?

How exactly did it resolve within a day or two??? Was there a medical issue??

Guest FreddyGirl

As for following, I have had Corey one year, 3/28. He still follows me around the house, about 95% of the time. I just accept it. He is ok when left separated from the girls via a babyagate. It took abougt 3 months before he stopped whining or crying when he could not see me.

hang in there..................

Guest Drumhellergrey

So here's an update on Lola..

I talked to the rescue president who had some good advice which I followed.

She is now back to sleeping in her crate at night in our room (and fine with it!).. But she has still pooped IN the crate when we leave the house..

The last two times we left the house, I put her in our mudroom (which has a half door) so it's the perfect place..but she pooped there too when we were gone. And both times I had taken her out to pee and poop right before I left.

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I am. I really don't know what else to do. To let you know again:

She's 7 years old and has been in a home before. But the family abandoned her for several days to a week before she was found alone and brought back to the rescue. Now we've had her for about 4 weeks.

She's the sweetest thing, but is still following me EVERYWHERE I go in the house..which tells me she's still insecure about being here.

First I wanted to commend all that have already left replies.Almost like reading a step by step text-book. We are getting real good at these SA questions. Way to go .. They really are the greatest. :wubsite

One thing I wanted to ask is that you mentioned that you take her out to do her business before you go. How long is she out for, and is she getting a good work out at that time? The reason I ask is that a tired grey usually equals a sleepy grey.

Edited by Drumhellergrey

Guest gecko_foot

How exactly did it resolve within a day or two??? Was there a medical issue??

It was really odd...I took Tumnus to the vet, and they did X-rays, a fecal, and observed him for the entire day. The vomiting and diarrhea stopped later that same afternoon. Nothing turned up on the fecal, and all that really showed up on his X-rays was gas - nothing that would lead to this magnitude of GI upset. I know for a fact that he didn't get into any chemicals or eat anything abnormal (blankets, etc.) because he is restricted to the living room while I'm home (to keep him out of the litter box and cabinets), and I keep an eye on him the entire time. He also wears his basket muzzle in his crate because he likes to gnaw on the bars, and I've never found a chewed blanket since he's been wearing it. I never could figure out what caused the problem, and the vets weren't sure either. They put him on some antibacterial/antiprotozoal meds, and he came home late that afternoon feeling a little better. He didn't have any more vomiting or diarrhea issues after that. I'm thinking it was a 24 hour bug or something, but I was really scared there for a bit.

Bottom line is that I would rule out any medical problems first. :)

Edited by gecko_foot

I second the recommendation to read "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell - it's only a 40-page book and gives detailed instructions including a schedule of training. If anxiety is the cause, this book will be a lifesaver.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest barkdogs

If Lola continues to have anxiety generic prozac plus the alone training might help. She wouldn't necessarily have to stay on it for ever--maybe just a few months until she settles in, and then she could be weaned off--might be something to ask your vet about. Best of luck-poor Lola!

Poor Lola...she is still trying to figure things out. I think the key is to establish a predictable schedule.

1. A long walk of 30 mins to 1 hr before you go to work,

2. unemotional arrival and departure for the first 10 mins.

3. a stuffed kong with frozen yogurt, PB...etc for her to work on when you are alone,

4. leave TV on when you are away

I would also not to give her too much attention for a few days or even weeks. One of the fosters came back to us and had SA problem. We didn't even look at her for a few days. It sounds cruel, but you are helping her become more independent.

Hang it there!

Guest 4dogscrazy

I am wondering why this pup didn't go to a more experienced owner? For a first time dog, she seems to have come with some baggage. Someone who was at home more might be able to help. Maybe she was fostered and did fine...just curious.

Keep in contact with your group, they can be an enormous help. And this site has tons of dogs with this problem (well maybe not tons...haha) but there are lots, one of mine included. Good advice already given. I second the notion that the more attention I give to my SA dog, the worse she gets. For example, Monday is a bad day because I go back to work after being around all weekend. It's hard, but you do get to know what sets them off and can usually predict what will start a bad week for them. Keep your head up and try to have a sense of humor if you can, it helps!

Guest happygrey

To me, it sounds like this poor dog has been traumatized by this previous situation and this is not a typical case of SA. Do you know how she did in foster care? Were they ever able to leave her?

How is she in the car? Is it possible for you to take her with you when you are out running errands or whatever? Perhaps if you are able to stay with her all the time for a while to get her over the hump (so to speak) she will start to mellow and relax a bit. I agree, it does sound like she's insecure. To me, it sounds like she needs more time with you to establish the bond. 4 weeks is not all that long for them to adapt -- especially if they've got big issues.

What has the group suggested that you do?

Edited by happygrey

Guest stufts

Thank you so much to everyone for our replies, ideas and kind words!

We are working on it and will give an update soon!!

Thanks again,

Sandy!