Riley Has Osteo

Lucy, this is so heartbreaking. You are doing the best thing for him to let him go while he is still happy. We lost both Matty (osteo) and Mara (megaesphagus)within the past year - Mara just 2 and a half weeks ago. Our wonderful vet came to our home for both of them, and I think that is the best for us. Both Matty and Mara were able to pass peacefully where they were most comfortable, and the other dogs were allowed to be around if they wanted to be. Neither was in the room when Mara passed, but Mara and Mork were near-by when Matty did.

One thing that both devastated me and reassured me was that both greeted our vet with happy tail wags. Both had had very difficult a very difficult day prior to that, and while it killed us to see them excited at that point, it also helped to know that the left happy.

Again, I am so so sorry.

ETA - this is Carol again.

Edited by RyanUOP06

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

I am so sorry.

Let me just offer one thought. Having been through it many times, I can remember the first like it was yesterday.

I think you will surprise yourself as far as how you handle it. It's devastating, God only knows, but because you love him the way you do, you will show strength when it's time and you won't even realize where that strength comes from.

It comes from love, no doubt about it. We will have you both tucked in our prayers

So well put, and so true!

I just want to send you strength to do this. It is hard, but like cbudshome said, you will find out how strong you really can be. I have had many pets pass (no Greyhounds so far), and you do find the strength to go on.

I will be thinking of you.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

First and formost, I am sorry.

We did opt for amp with our Angel Polli- did the chemo and only had 5 months. When the time came, (it had mets) the vet came to our house which we felt was the best way for Polli- and that's what was the most important thing to us. No matter what, we owed it to her to not make her suffer and to make her the least stressed she could be.

The vet came and we were all sitting on the floor by her bed. I had my head on her face just holding her and kissing her. The vet gave her a sedative shot to make her very relaxed. Then he left went out to his car and gave us another 20 minutes or so.

He then came back. That was so unbelievably hard. But I know it was in her best interest.

She died at home, her home, in her bed, surrounded by love. What better way to go.

You will make the right decision for Riley.

Again, I am so sorry.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am literally in tears reading the latest posts. Lucy, I'm so so sorry that you are going through this, and I'm so sorry that so many of us have gone through this with our pups.

I'm sure you'll come to a decision about what is best for Riley, and for you. Please know that you are surrounded by people who care for you both, and we'll be here to be strong for you when you feel like you can't be strong for yourself.

Many hugs.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I'm so sorry to read this. I saw the headline and hoped it was a different Riley. :(

My 3 went in different ways over the past year and a half - Savannah on her own, Isabella was euthanized at home and Simon at the Vet's office. My decision for Isabella and Simon were based totally on their personalities. Isabella was shy and stressy and bringing her to strange place would have been very unpleasant for her, but Simon was much more easy-going and perfectly fine with going to the Vet's and being fussed over by strangers. The cost was about the same for both so that wasn't a factor.

I wasn't in the room when Savannah died - I just found her that way. I was with Isabella and Simon when they passed. It bothers me more that Savannah died without me than it bothers me to remember seeing Isabella and Simon slip away. But that is a personal decision for each of us to make. I avoided watching Isabella's face and instead stroked and spoke into her ear from behind so she would know I was there. With Simon it was very fast (he was ready and willing, I think). In both her and Simon's case they were unconscious from sedatives before the fatal drug was administered. Neither euthanization was perfect, but I won't go into details unless you really want to know.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. It's so hard, and if you're like me then the internal dialogue is almost unbearable. Too soon? Too late? One more day? What if..? But...". I truly wish you and Riley peace.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

I have been down this road three times now Lucy. All I can say is it is different for everyone. I did have a choice with Future (not with Kia or Bones) and his vet came to the house. Given that choice, I would do it that way every time. I didn't think I could do it either, even with my DH there with me. Claudia had it right though. You do what you have to do when you have to do it.

I am terribly sorry you have to face this. For whatever small bit it may be worth, I would make the same choice. Thinking of you and your precious boy. :grouphug

I just heard back from OSU, and while they could not tell me anything definitive of course, they did confirm that he has tumor and there is a good chance he will break the leg. Even though it was hard to hear, it does make me feel better knowing that they agree with my vet.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and your support. I think you have convinced me to do it at home, as Riley does not like going to the vet at all, and this way he will be comfortable. I will find a way to deal with it, thankfully I have my two little guys to help me through. Thanks again. :heart

I hope this isn't a totally insensitive question...but for those of you who had your Greys euthanized at home, did you have to help carry the body to the Vet's vehicle? I sent Isabella off for private cremation and the Vet came alone so I had to help with that. It was tough. And I'll never forget that my neighbors next door were having their daily drunken porch party and were hooting and laughing, unaware, while I carried the love of my life's body out the back gate so those idiot hillbillies wouldn't see.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

I am so sorry.

Let me just offer one thought. Having been through it many times, I can remember the first like it was yesterday.

I think you will surprise yourself as far as how you handle it. It's devastating, God only knows, but because you love him the way you do, you will show strength when it's time and you won't even realize where that strength comes from.

It comes from love, no doubt about it. We will have you both tucked in our prayers

First, I am so sorry.

This really says it all. Our love gives us strength.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I am so sorry. I had to make a similar call with our whippet nearly 2 years ago. I kept hoping that he would pass of natural causes, but he did not, and we had to help him to the Bridge.

Our entire family went to the vet's with him wrapped in a blanket. The vet took one look at him and said that our sweet baby was ready to go. I was going to be with him to the end.

My husband and then-11 yr old son said they couldn't bear to stay in the room with him, so they said their goodbyes and waited outside. My then-14 year old son said he would stay in the room with me and Comet, but as the time approached he said he just couldn't do it and so it was just me and Comet. She gave him a sedative first and then through the same line or whatever she gave him the other medicine. He didn't twitch or anything. He just stopped breathing. I must have stayed there for a 1/2 hour holding him and talking to him telling him how much we all loved him and what a good boy he was. I can't type any more. :grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest LolaNLucy

I'm so sorry about Riley but as others have said, you're doing the right thing for him.

I've not had to face this situation yet and often wonder where people find the strength. We will keep you and Riley in our thoughts.

I hope this isn't a totally insensitive question...but for those of you who had your Greys euthanized at home, did you have to help carry the body to the Vet's vehicle? I sent Isabella off for private cremation and the Vet came alone so I had to help with that. It was tough. And I'll never forget that my neighbors next door were having their daily drunken porch party and were hooting and laughing, unaware, while I carried the love of my life's body out the back gate so those idiot hillbillies wouldn't see.

I am wondering this too. This is my main concern about doing it at home... Even if I don't have to help carry him, just thinking about seeing his body moved around is almost too much for me to handle. And I also have a bunch of neighbors who are always outside... :(

Lucy - I'm so sorry... I remember meeting Riley and you at the first GT party at Dewey all those years ago! He's a doll baby...

Hugs - and we're all thinking about you

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest jettcricket

My heart is aching with yours.....it brings back all those sad memories. I had planned on having Jett and Cricket PTS at home....but it didn't work out that way. In the future, and I do hope it is in the very distant future, I would consider doing it at home.

I'm so sorry you and your sweet boy are going thru this. sad.gif

It's just not fair.....and as some have already told you, we will be with you in spirit holding you and Riley tight.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

I am wondering this too. This is my main concern about doing it at home... Even if I don't have to help carry him, just thinking about seeing his body moved around is almost too much for me to handle. And I also have a bunch of neighbors who are always outside... :(

First off, Lucy, I am so sorry. I am just seeing this and all I can think of is how much pain I know you are in and how I feel it, too. I understand and I'm here for you, always. I know this isn't how you envisioned it. I went through the same with Gino and then with Speck. The end is so unfair. You have time though, to think this out, to feel all you need to feel, and to remind Riley that he is one of the most well-loved, wonderful hounds in the world. What a blessed boy he is. The fact that you are even weighing such an important decision like this, to decide how to give him the most peaceful of all "see you laters" (because it is never a "goodbye"), is just moving and amazing. You are such a wonderful mama to him.

:heart

:grouphug

As for letting him go at your home, with the vet coming to you, you will certainly make the right decision for Riley and for you. What Elizabeth mentioned above is what my concern would be, too. You have to ask the vet about if you can be there for certain parts but then leave the room, if need be. Perhaps you can, if they bring along an assistant tech or something. I found it EXTREMELY hard to be in the room with Speck's body at the end. I didn't get a peaceful ending with him, though, but it will be hard for anyone who indeed loses "the love of their life," as I (and Elizabeth) did. It would be you protecting yourself so I hope you get the answer you need, when asking your vet about that.

Please feel free to call or email me. I am more than willing to talk about anything you want or just listen. We're all here for you. We all love Riley and, though he is special to all of us, he has his number one girl, you, right beside him through everything. I always believed that pairings like Speck and I; you and Riley; etc. are magical and happen through a combination of fates, blessings, luck, serendipity. I know your pain and I am so sorry, again.

Much love...

:heart

Edited by MomoftheFuzzy

I'm so very sorry. I understand exactly your reasoning, since I just made the same decisions.

FWIW, I've said goodbye at the clinic. It isn't the warmest environment, and it doesn't allow the other animals to see the remains, but at least I can leave and let the clinic staff handle the post-mortem details. Perhaps I would have decided differently if my vet had offered to come here, but she didn't and I didn't feel the need to ask.

ETA: Moving the body would be a major concern here: too many stairs, a not-very-tall vet with a small car, and so on. Plus I've found that I want to leave as soon as it's over.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Lucy I am in tears reading this. I had just sent you a note on FB. We had to make the decision with Kona. Hardest thing I ever had to do. She hated the vets, but we took her in for it. The strangest thing went on. It was the first time she did not freak out at the vets office. I did not want to do it at home since I had the other dogs and 2 kids. It was hard enough explaining to them that she was not returning. :( I think my other dogs knew something was really wrong. And when we came back without her they looked for her. Nala was depressed for weeks. She had never been without Kona.

I understand your decision to let go. It is better a day too early than a day too late. Kona was a day too late. Selfishly I wish he would be there in a couple more weeks too. He is a fantastic grey! One of the most laid back boys I have seen. And the only one of yours that acted like he liked me. :P We will be there in a couple weeks. We will go out and celebrate him. It was Riley and Shanti that caused us to meet. I owe him. :grouphug Give him a big kiss for me and the boys. His picture is up in Hunter's room with Flat Stanley. :D

The Girls

I had the feeling you would make this decision, Lucy. I wasn’t going to encourage it but I definitely agree that it is the right thing to do… for the right reasons. In the longrun, you will be so glad you had the courage to do it.

I already told you about Onyx but I didn’t mention how much I wished I could have let him go at home. Like Elizabeth said, the personality makes a big difference. He was really scared and that memory sticks with me. Other than that, it was very peaceful and painless and I was so grateful for that.

My first greyhound, Bullet, had cardiomyopathy and I was told he would eventually die from a heart attack. I wasn’t about to let that happen. So after about 8 months when he started to decline, I chose to let him go early. The vet greed to do it but he suggested I schedule the appointment for one week later just to make sure I thought it all out. It worked out really well and I was confident about my decision when the time came.

I would have chosen to put Bullet down at home but didn’t know a vet who could do it. He always acted healthy at the vet’s office and that was one thing that stuck in my mind afterwards. How could I let this seemingly happy dog go? Well, I knew he was putting up a front but still, the pangs of guilt set in afterwards. What was important was him and I was grateful, at least, not to be left with any regrets.

I wasn’t a GreyTalk member back then but I did hang out at a Pet Loss web site for a little while after that. It was very interesting to see the percentage of people who wished they had not waited as long as they did before making the decision. I was in a very small minority of what they felt were the lucky ones.

You are doing the right thing, Lucy. I know exactly where you are and it is so, so hard. Thank goodness for this message board and the support that everyone here can provide. We can see that Riley is in very good hands.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Oh Lucy...I am so sorry....

I have euthanized both of mine at the ER vet. Honestly it was all I could do. Scheduling a vet to come to the house was something I could just not commit to. Rascal was at 3am although it was a lengthy illness but he was ready then and for me it was easier in the darkness of night.

I wish you peace during such a difficult time.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest Heehoo

I am so sorry.

So well put, and so true!

Very well said, very gently said. The mornings I have taken each one of mine to the vet, it was like I was on auto-pilot. Each one was ready, each one lead me.

I have never had one put to sleep at home, not because of my group, but because I just haven't. :beatheart