What's A "normal"schirmer Tear Test Number?

Guest iconsmum

Guest iconsmum

Could anyone tell me what is considered normal range for a greyhound Schirmer tear test? We've had 11 rising to 17 and I'm being told by athe vet that 22 is more like normal but I'm wondering if the numbersdare different for greys...?

Guest KiKi_Girl

I know for people "normal" is between 11-15mm of wetting. Not sure how much more or less tears dogs produce? With what your vet says though, that is probably correct and your dogs eyes may be just slightly dry.

Guest iconsmum

just to finish the thread and say thank you again- we got 15 in one eye and 17 in the other (17 was the eye that had been red on and off) - so I think it's ok for now and we'll look at it again in 3 months and see. I'm wondering if I can do the Schirmer myself or whether it's totally a vet thing...vet seems to think I shouldn't... :))

Edited by iconsmum

Guest KiKi_Girl

I would think it is something you would want your vet to do. I know for people they place a little thin strip of paper just inside the lid, have you close your eye for about 5 min (or so) and then measure how much wetting is on the strip in millimeters. I have no idea if they do the same for a dog.

edit to add: I'm not an eye doc but did work with ophthalmologists for almost 15 years.

Edited by KiKi_Girl

Guest iconsmum

You're right - that's exactly what they do - and then they time 60 seconds and take the result from the scale on the strip. I just wondered if I coud monitor it instead of going in to get it done since I've helped 3 times now....without me in the room, nobody's sticking nothin' in Echo's eye if they want to keep their hand..- :))

Guest KiKi_Girl

You can use artifical tears (not Visine or anything to "get the red out") but just good ole' tears that you can get over the counter for humans if you are concerned about dry eyes.