Swollen Mammary?

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

ok, trying not to panic but we all know how I can be…. I was rubbing Cindy’s belly tonight and I noticed that a mammary is very swollen, think size of a walnut or slightly larger. She was just spayed March 19th. What on earth could this be?

She appears to be acting normal, nothing out of the ordinary. It’s not red, just hard all around the nipple about an inch all around.

Guest Energy11

Sorry about this, and I am sure you are very concerned.

It could be many things. Infection, something hormonal, a tumor, ... hard to say. I'd make a vet appt. soon, to get it checked out.

Good Luck!

Guest greytbookert

DH will talk to a vet at work in the morning. She'll probably be seen tomorrow. Of course, the most horrible things crossed my mind and then I made the mistake of Googling it.... sheesh, you'd think I'd learn my now.

Guest Energy11

DH will talk to a vet at work in the morning. She'll probably be seen tomorrow. Of course, the most horrible things crossed my mind and then I made the mistake of Googling it.... sheesh, you'd think I'd learn my now.

OY!! GOOGLING CAN BE DANGEROUS! :-))

Don't believe everything you read/find! It can get to you. It could be soooooo many things, so, don't worry!

Relax, and stop the Googling :-)) Many hugs! Dee and The Five

Don't panic. 10 year old Elsie had a lump (actually several) but it was bigger than the others. It was cancer. It was removed, stage one and clean margins. 3 weeks later she had them all remove and they were benign. Clean bill of health.

I know that Kennelmoms brood had a very large cancerous mammarary tumor and she is 13. She too is doing greyt! your girl will be fine!!!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

She's been through so much that it really could be anything. Wait until she sees the vet before you start panicking!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't have any advice but am sending a million good thoughts that it is hormonal. :hope :hope Cindy come on girl, you just have to be OK . :grouphug to all of you, i can only imagine how worried you are.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I don't have any advice either, Deb, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for Cindy. :goodluck Please update tomorrow when you can!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest mountain4greys

Deb, sending thoughts for Cindy, I hope it's nothing.

On another note, is she just trying to get you frazzled before GIG?

Guest KennelMom

Late spays can increase the risk of mammary tumors (though even dogs spayed young can get them). You are doing the right thing by having her checked out.

Quilty had a HUGE mammary tumor (like, the size of a small potato) and several smaller ones removed earlier this year (she was found as a stray that way). Even being large, they had clean margins and she should be fine.

Guest greytbookert

Thanks Heather! I remember Quilty going through the surgery. It helps to know that if it is a tumor, there is a good chance that clean margins can be obtained!

I did know about the late spay correlation, as we had gone through it with our Sahra many years ago. What took me by surprise though, is that Cindy's lumpiness happened so quickly. When I caught Sahra's, it was literally the size of a grain of sand. The vet was amazed that I felt it LOL! Breast exams for all, I guess late spay thi

Best of luck at the vet's this afternoon. Let us know how it goes. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greytbookert

Well, it is hormonal! Raging, raging, hormones! There is even milk being produced and is causing a bit of a rash. 4 glands are expressing milk at this time. poor little bugger... but 2 weeks of antibiotics and she should be good as new.

Thanks for hanging in there with me! Man oh man, does Cindy get my worry meter cranking! LOL

Guest greytbookert

Let's hope that no one else has any more strange issues for some time. I'm starting to feel like a crazy lady! Eric's boy issues, Cindy's girl issues, Adam ripping off nails.... all very minor, thank goodness!

Terrific news!!! :yay :yay :yay

:lol:lol:rofl:rofl

This is almost as funny and Eric's "boy" issue

Nope... Nothing is as funny as Eric's boy issue :rofl:gnome