Sterling, My Heart Dog

Guest ZBippy

Guest ZBippy

Our sweet Sterling has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. For fifteen months he fought various illnesses--Lyme disease, kidney disease, arthritis, recurring infection--but the last downward dip in his health was too much and we had to make the very difficult decision to free him from pain. He died peacefully in my arms yesterday afternoon.

Sterling was stubborn and was set in his ways. He had a schedule and had expectations and he didn't like things to be out of place or out of order. When we went on walks, we always had to follow the same route or else he would mope. One day he got out of the yard and we knew just where to find him--along his approved walking route. This part of his personality earned him the nickname "Old Man Sterling."

Sterling was a whiner. He whined when he was happy, when he was sad, when he wanted something, and when he was mad he would do a little foot stomp to accentuate his whine. I used to sing "Don't Cry For Me Sterling Hermon" to the tune of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina." Before he got sick, he would often play with Tessie. Despite his nearly 20 pound weight advantage, he would let her pin him down and think she was in charge. The only time he didn't like playing with her was when she would run up and nibble the back of his leg. When she did that, he would let out a little "Meep!" and pull his leg away. He reminded us of the character Stuart on MadTV who would shy away and say "Noooo" when his mom tried to grab him. That earned him the nickname "Stuart" or "Stu."

Sterling was a pizza hound. A few weeks after we adopted him, we had pizza for dinner. My husband and I left the room for a minute and then went back into the kitchen. My husband asked me how I ate the last pieces of pizza without him seeing and I told him that I hadn't. We then looked at Smokey and Sterling, sniffed them, and figured out that Sterling had eaten the pizza. Up until the end, Sterling loved pizza and would whine for it anytime he could smell it in the house. On Sunday night, we served Sterling his favorite meal, pepperoni pan pizza.

Sterling was my heart dog and my heart aches for him. I am happy that he is now pain free. But it hurts, it really hurts.

post-6376-12705851031491_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. It takes a lot of fortitude to do what you know is right. :grouphug

Godspeed Sterling, there's lots of pizza over the bridge. :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest IrskasMom

We understand your Pain. I am so truly sorry you lost your HeartDog and you had to make the painfull Decision.Sterling was a very handsome Boy. RIP Sterling :f_red:f_red:f_red

So sorry for you,Sterling sounds like my 1st & heart dog Margo. She too didnt want

her routine disrupted,LOVED pizza too..She was a sweetheart & 4/5/05 was when she went to the bridge It hurts so much to loss them, hugs to you

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I am so sorry for the loss of handsome Sterling.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Your handsome precious boy had to leave much too soon.

Godspeed Sterling.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest mcsheltie

I understand. There are no words to describe the hurt that your heart feels. But I believe he is still with you. He left part of his heart with you too. I hope that soon it will grow inside yours and you will feel whole again. :grouphug

I'm so sorry. My heart skipped a beat when I saw his name. Godspeed Sterling. No more pain sweetie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm sorry. Sending gentlest hugs to you and all Sterling's friends.

Godspeed, beloved boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.