Digging And What To Do About It

Guest cheltzey

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is your greyhound a digger?

• Yes--my poor lawn!
    • Yes, but only in dirt
    • Occasionally, but it's not a big deal
    • Hardly ever

My Jazz will dig if I've been digging for some reason or when really excited or bored. I just redirect by playing or introducing a new activity. If Jazz returns to the dig site a sharp "leave it" and when I fill the hole I put some poo in and cover it up. This happens maybe twice a year or less. Jazz is the only one who has shown interest. I, also, am in the yard with my dogs and they are not left unsupervised.

good luck.

june

Guest kelli123

We let them dig. And where ever they dig the most i let them have that hole Only, they can dig to china if they want in that hole only . I fill every other hole up. And it seems to work, That way when they want to dig and they will they will have that special hole to dig in Only

Guest Parsniptoast

My Daisy is a digger but she did it during the first couple of weeks of moving in and then nothing until 10 months later when I was working on the driveway and she was the other side of the garden gate. She had dug a hole and excavated all my vegetable seedlings! I think it was a form of separation anxiety and now I treat gardening activities as though I was leaving the house for an extended time rather than just being in the garden. They are not allowed to be in the garden - that means I can move around and not worry about upsetting them.

Other than that Daisy has been exceptionally well-behaved - like all my dogs, thankfully :)

This is so funny. I was reading this thread with interest, then I saw the picture of that yard and thought it looked familiar. Then I read someone's comment about the yard and it sounded exactly like what I would have said and then I realize it was me who made the comment 6 months ago! :blink:

Maybe we can get the OP to come back and tell us how her yard looks now. :lol

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest greytloves

Sometimes when they are playing with each other they will do the "ankle breakers" as I call them which are the paw over paw straight down dig.

I have had a few that like to make a bed. What we did was create sand spots for them to do this in the favored parts of the yard. This keeps it isolated to those places. So if you have something that may be gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon and you can sacrifice the spot, either build it up with landscape timbers and fill in with soft dirt, or if you do need to do that, just let them have it!

Best to let them have a spot that you won't freak over and then they can be a dog and you can be happy with it!

But as a generality, greys are not even close to the diggers vs my weenie or lab/pit mix!

Hey....I just noticed after it was mentioned about how old this post was!!

Edited by greytloves

Guest 4dogscrazy

I see it now too, and my post started it again! I swear I didn't "dig" this old thread up :lol it was on the new threads page, that's the only place I go! :blush

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo has recently taken up digging. I think it is due to the rats who moved from the neighbors shed to my compost bin after the shed fell over in the snow. I think he can hear/smell the tunnels and is trying to get to them. My hope is that if I get rid of the rats, the digging will stop. Plan B is to build him a sandbox where it is acceptable to dig.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pichick712

Indy has started digging by my shed. I put some bricks there and it seems he has stopped but who knows. I didn't realize digging was big with them, but apparently it is. I try and monitor him when he's in the yard and correct him for it.

Guest Mollysmom10

My Dazzle is my little digging machine. Hubby built a sand pit in the far corner of our yard basically just for her. It's pretty adorable to watch her go to town in her sandbox. :lol Alimony will occasionally join in, but Tipper never digs. He will occasionally plop his belly on Dazzle's freshly dug hill to enjoy the cool sand.

If you are concerned about digging, just don't leave the pup alone outside (I never do anyway), so you can keep an eye on him/her. Make sure he/she has plenty of exercise (walks, playtime, etc) so they are less likely to get bored and decide to start digging.

Or you can just give in like we did (because we thought it was cute) and make a digging pit. :lol Fwiw, they never dig outside of the pit. They seem to understand that this is the acceptable location for such shenanigans. I think the fact that our soil is mostly clay and the play-sand is more enjoyable digging material helps.

Dazzle, proudly surveying the land from her sand pit:

DSC_0018_13.jpg

Dazzle, hiding in her hole. :rotfl

DSC_0008_16B.jpg

Alimony, "helping"

DSC_0094_5.jpg

This is hilarious -- Dazzle is quite talented!

My gang are not diggers they are excavators.

Case in point.

S3010190.jpg

I think Monty is either seeking burring treasure or he's looking for oil! :lol It doesn't matter. The back yard is theirs and if they want to dig I let them. The yard is mostly sand so holes like this one are not uncommon. I go through and fill them in from time to time so they can dig them again.

:lol:lol

Edited by Mollysmom10