New Grey Has Dry Skin, Any Suggestions?

Guest Gretchen

Guest Gretchen

Okay, so i'm a new Grey mom. My handsome boy appears to have really dry skin on his belly, inside of his hind legs and arm pits. His skin is not irritated in any way, just really dry and flaky. He doesn't scratch but he loves for you to rub under his arms and his belly. He's very very new to home life was taken out of his kennel/racing life March 6th, I brought him home on March 12th. He does still have his very furry/fluffy kennel coat too.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what I can give him to help?

we love hair of the dog. it has helped bee wiseman's dry, red skin. our dogs have super soft fur and nice skin.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Any hound I have taken straight from the track (and that is all my hounds past and present) I have not used supplements.

In about a month or so their coats shed out and with laying on nice comfy beds their skin and coats shine up all on their own.

Lots of petting, brushing and loving helps too ;)

Get a Zoom Groom for the kennel coat. Use baby moisturizer (non-toxic and cheaper) on his sin. You can also add a fish oil supplement to his food, but go easy, as dropping a big load of oil all of a sudden might give him diarrhea.

Welcome and congrats!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Scouts_mom

Gretchen, you've probably gathered from the replies that dry coats and flaking skin is very common in newly adopted greyhounds. You don't say what color your boy is, but if he is black it will really show. Just giving your boy a good quality food will help tremendously. In the winter, when my grey's skin begins to get dry, I add a dash of canola oil to their food. But with a newbie, you should be careful and not overload their system or, as Greysmom says, you might develop other problems.

Guest happygrey

Gretchen, you've probably gathered from the replies that dry coats and flaking skin is very common in newly adopted greyhounds. You don't say what color your boy is, but if he is black it will really show. Just giving your boy a good quality food will help tremendously. In the winter, when my grey's skin begins to get dry, I add a dash of canola oil to their food. But with a newbie, you should be careful and not overload their system or, as Greysmom says, you might develop other problems.

I agree. We adopted our grey a little more than 2 months ago and when he came to us he had terrible dandruff and a very thick coat. He's recently "blown" his coat, and with a good quality food, lots of grooming, pets and TLC he's looking MUCH better.

Be careful with the fish oil. We found that adding oil to our grey's food in the early days gave him diarrhea.

Congrats on your new baby. :)

Guest KennelMom

Any hound I have taken straight from the track (and that is all my hounds past and present) I have not used supplements.

In about a month or so their coats shed out and with laying on nice comfy beds their skin and coats shine up all on their own.

Lots of petting, brushing and loving helps too ;)

This.

Time is often all the need. If you want to lay out some cash for supplements, know yourself out. But feed a good food that agrees with the dog's system and you shouldn't need to supplement for healthy skin and coat.

I feed Wellness Salmon, Barley, and Lamb for my greyhound who suffers from dry skin. In fact, her littermate had the same issue and the adoptive parents asked me in an email for advice, and thus far, that has worked- but different foods affect different dogs differently so experimentation might help.

I also tried California Naturals but found Cookie didn't have a firm stool on it- that may work for your greyhound though!!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana