Incorporation Into "normal" Life

Guest ChazyHound

Guest ChazyHound

Well- Miles (a.k.a. Doe's Gone Ridin) was adopted on 02 April 2010 from Northern Greyhound Adoptions in St. Albans Vermont. Once into his new home- he seems curious about the everyday types of items; screen doors, indoor plants, garbage cans, TV's, couches, etc. The house training is a lot like trying to train a 75 pound puppy. He instinctually wants to mark EVERYTHING- and I am almost always whisking him outdoors and lavishing him with treats when he potties outside.

This is our first greyhound- was hopeful that he would make a nice addition to our family (which includes a very excitable Airedale Terrier, female, and my husband and I). If anyone out there has any wisdom on the process of introducing a retired Grey into there new home, it would be refreshing.

As to the potty and marking habits, yes take him outside and throw parties for him when he "goes" out there. At first just ignore indoor mistakes, you want to make them non-events so that he doesn't learn that they get him attention. Later on you can tell him NO and take him out.

Generally the best thing is to do your normal daily routine so that he learns what the new routine is. Racers live very regimented lifestyles, almost like career military people. So he'll adjust better if you give him good direction and routine right off the bat. Don't worry about obedience training until he's been with you for a couple months. Retirement is extremely stressful, so he'll need some time to settle in and learn who his new family is. Start off with lots of love, affection, and treats....

... with the caveats: not so many treats that he gets fat, and be careful about the attention. Don't get in his face, and don't bother him when he's in his bed or crate. Read Patricia McConnell's books The Other End of the Leash, and For the Love of a Dog. They are excellent books that explain things from a dog's point of view, and explains why aggression happens. They'll probably help you understand your terrier more, also.

There's lots and lots of great info here. Please do browse around the older threads while you wait for answers here.

I forgot to add: CONGRATS! He will make a great addition to your home, and you'll love him hugely. Greyhounds are special and wonderful, as you'll see by the passion of all the postings in Greytalk. We're crazy about them!

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Congrats on giving Miles his forever home!

Wanted to say you are the first poster on GT I have seen with a "Doe's" dog (From Ep's kennel....Doris). We have 2 - great dogs!

Best advice - be consistent and be patient. He will settle in and sometimes it takes a day or two, sometimes several months. They 'come out of their shells' eventually and when they do, it's like having a completely new dog!! You may consider a belly band for the inside marking, or tethering him to you on the leash so you can pre-empt any marking attempts.

Have fun, take things slow, and enjoy your new addition!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

You may consider a belly band for the inside marking, or tethering him to you on the leash so you can pre-empt any marking attempts.

good ideas, especially the tethering. also if you watch him carefully, eventually you'll be able to read his "i want to go out; i need to go out" signals. they're sometimes very subtle.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My advice is to contact Donna Deskin who is very active with that kennel, and will bend over backward to help you with any adjustment issues. Her GT name is "Chilidog" and she can be found easily enough. I'm also sure you will have been provided with a phone number to call for support? Usually the group is your best bet with a brand new adoption, since they already know the dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Congratulations to you and Miles!

Suggestions:

•  
  • I put several leashes together and tether a new dog to me for 24-48 hours, as suggested above. A hassle in the short run, pays off in long run.
  • I crate new dogs at night, but other people tether the leash to the bed.
  • A strict potty schedule will keep you from making mistakes trying to figure out if the new dog is sending signals that he wants to pee/poop.
  • A tired dog = happy dog + happy human. Help Miles explore his new world and bond with you and his new "sister" Airedale (love Airedales - do we get to see pictures?) by taking nice long walks.
  • Most of all, have fun!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest ChazyHound

Thanks everyone for the support! Day 2 has been very successful so far. Miles tries to mark occasionally, but we get him swept outside as soon as he shows signs like "I might have to go." He gallantly leaped up our stairs to the second floor in two beautiful long leaps... it was shocking! Coming back down was a little scary and although he made it, I think that it took a lot out of him mentally!

The routine part (based on what I have read to date) will help him considerably considering the life that he just left. I keep him leashed to me most of the time, but in small bursts of weakness, I allow him to have a little freedom in the house. I think that he is learning the ropes... I have been concentrating on getting him to recognize his name. At least that will help give him some identity.

He is eating good and his stools are already starting to firm up- the kennel has been feeding a blend of donated foods and I plan on switching him to Taste of the Wild (which the Airedale does wonderfully on!).

I will post pics soon- and thanks once again for all of the support!

-Andrea and Miles

Sounds like things are going very well. As you're probably learning, it takes a while for a greyhound to really settle in. Congratulations on your new addition and if you ever have problems, your group is there for your support and you can always come here for advice.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hi Andrea

As Susan (George of NE) mentioned please feel free to contact me through email for any issues or just to give us updates (and pix for the website or the Northern Bark Newsletter ) :) :)

You can find the link to our website in my signature below and just send an email through the "contact" page.

Donna

Hi Andrea

As Susan (George of NE) mentioned please feel free to contact me through email for any issues or just to give us updates (and pix for the website or the Northern Bark Newsletter ) :) :)

You can find the link to our website in my signature below and just send an email through the "contact" page.

Donna

You are da woman! colgate.gif

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest ChazyHound

Thanks once again! Especially to Donna- that is considerate of you to offer advice, support, etc.

Well, as the evening sets upon us and Day 2 for Miles (or affectionately known as Quarter Miles since my husband drag races in Napierville Quebec) we have finally seen the graceful runner ease into a relaxation mode which gives my heart a sigh of relief. Him and my Airedale (Lindy Ruff) have not had one aggressive moment yet- they even had the courtesy to share marrow bones.

I guess things should get easier as he grows into his new home.

He doesn't sit still much for me to be able to snap any pics of him! Busy Busy Busy!

Guest TeddysMom

Congrats on your new addition. :confetti I will be watching for pictures of Miles, I love pictures. Welcome to your forever home Miles. :yay

Guest jaws4evr

I'd just add, that the marking behavior is often separate from true potty-training. He's not marking because he has to p ee, he's marking because he's claiming the area. Therefor in addition to what you've been doing whisking him out and praising when he goes, I'd be correcting the indoor marking. Either with a loud noise maker, or my favorite, the water gun. Immediate correction during marking, accompanied by a loud NO!, and then forget the issue and move on as soon as he stops :)

As for incorporating, changing your routine too much in early days of having your hound can lead him to having anxiety once you return to "normal" life. We made that mistake with ours, staying home for two days straight when we brought her home. Now we're working on her with slight separation anxiety... when we should have started the home-alone training immediately, and not spoiled her with company for two days! Live and learn.

Guest ChazyHound

Have noticed that the marking behavior is coming to an end... he tried marking a few things in the house, i.e. coffee table, kitchen table, a toilet, and the TV stand. But the last two days have been a success. I think that he has decided that it is all his and his potty breaks outside are more potty breaks than marking sessions. I am hopeful but concerned I may be optimistic... we will see!

We also stayed home for a few days with Miles to help him adjust- he hasn't had any separation anxiety to speak of, although he is home alone with our Airedale Terrier... she must be good enough company.

One thing for sure- the raw beef marrow bones have done wonders for his teeth! I highly recommend them and they are easy to get at the grocery store. Not sure if this or the switching to TOTW prairie formula is causing his awful gas, but we are trying to get his stomach straightened out. He LOVES his morning yogurt...

Any good remedies for dandruff/dry red skin??