My Beautiful Broodie - Crystal Souza

djsgreys

A bright new star lighting up the night sky tonight, another piece of my heart gone.

It was so hard to let her go – my little love bug. She brought us such joy. She loved snuggles on the couch with her daddy and loved cuddles on the bed with her mom. She loved her yard, policing the games the others play and stopping them when as soon as things got rough, banging them with her head in true brood momma style. Although she never mastered a roo, she would joyfully join the others, barking up a storm. For every bit of attention I gave her, I was rewarded with a huge smile and frenzied tail wagging. She was my little love bug.

Souza.jpg

I didn't have enough time with her – just a little over two years. She joined us when she was returned at age 10. After 72 races, raising two litters, and two years in another home, Crystal Souza was looking for a home to call her own forever - and she chose ours. My short term foster arrived - 14 pounds overweight, and limping horribly, from the pain of untreated corns and trying to walk on nails that were as long as bear claws. She had obviously not been out to walk for a while, and had no muscle tone whatsoever.

Once back in shape, we took her to her first meet and greet. She was so excited to go in the car, and loved all the attention she was getting but after about an hour she started to fret and just wanted to get out of the store. When we arrived home, she ran up the stairs, plopped down on a bed, and gave us the biggest stink eye you could imagine sending us a clear message that there was no need for her to go to those things - she already had her forever home. My momma brought me up right - never ever argue with your seniors! So we got on the phone, and 4 days later signed the paperwork to make Souza officially the sixth member of our pack.

These last few months, she was so clearly in pain, though our vet was unable to definitively diagnose just what is wrong with her. Souza had been panting and drooling, unable to settle, and removed herself from the rest of the pack. The lump in her neck, that started about the size of a golf ball is now the size of a baseball and leaves her gasping for air at times. She suffered from hind end weakness - increasingly so – to the point that she can not stand long enough to do her business or eat without collapsing. Medications no longer give relief. And so tonight we gave her the relief she was looking for. She left for the bridge snuggled into her momma's lap.

My sweet girl, run fast and find your sisters Zena, Suzy and Jetlag Suzy. Souza my little lovebug, thank you for choosing me. I will love you and miss you forever.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry. :cry1 I'm glad your special girl was able to spend her last years with you.

Godspeed Souza.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Such a touching tribute to your very special broodie. :cry1 You were lucky to share her heart and home with her for two years. Seniors are such a gift... :beatheart Godspeed, sweet Souza... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Deb, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Tears for your greyt loss and also feeling how blessed you and Souza were to find each other. So many losses for you this year my friend. :bighug

Run with the angels sweet Souza you are with the very very best.

I'm so sorry Deb but so glad you came to your senses and realized she was yours. Souza was a very clever mama dog picking herself a hound heaven where she was so clearly loved by you and John. Run with all our loves at the bridge Souza. flowers_pink.gif

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

What a beautiful tribute to an exceptional dog. It sounds as if she was meant to be with you. Thank goodness she found you, even though it was in her later years.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Souza.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.