Another Thought On Proin

Guest greyarea

Guest greyarea

Several months ago, I checked Greytalk for discussions on incontinence and the use of Proin. After reading a couple of horror stories, we were pretty apprehensive about using Proin, but on the advise of our Vet (and my sister, who used it successfully on her Standard Poodle), we decided to give it a try - but very gradually, knowing what sensitive critters greyhounds are! One thing that was unclear from the postings describing problems with Proin was the dosage being used, so I researched and found the recommended dosage for a 65 lb dog (exactly what Lucy is) is 25 mg, one or two pills, once or twice a day. That's a range of from 25 to 100 mg per day. Quite a range. As it turns out, that is the dose our vet prescribed for Lucy. She said to take it slowly and up the dosage gradually (to the max allowed) if needed, always watching for side effects.

We started slow; one quarter of a pill, once a day (just over 6 mg a day); stayed with that a while then upped it to one quarter pill, twice a day (12.5 mg per day) since we were still noticing the occasional accident. Lucy's been on that dosage since about October of last year with no side effects and good results - maybe one accident. I told our vet what we had done and she was pleased, saying the "minimum effective dose" is what you're looking for.

Just thought I'd put this out for what it's worth.

Guest FreddyGirl

Freddy, should be 65lbs but is now at 71 lbs., takes 1/2 a tablet once a day, NO accidents. Still working on the weight issue.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My male Spencer is on Proin. He has incontinence problems due to issues with his spine. I too was worried about the side effects after reading posts on it here. I tried 2 chewables once a day - one in morning and one at night but he was panting a lot form that and looked uncomfortable so I now split one chewable and give him half in the morning and half at night and it workes like a charm!

How much is everybody paying for Proin??

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

We've had great luck with Proin. Darcy and Bonny are both on it - no negative side affects. Darcy is about 65 lbs. and gets 25 mg. Bonny is 84 lbs. :eek and gets 50 mg. We only give them Proin every other day.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Sparkle hated to take it, even at a 1/4 dose once a day (12.5 mg). She looked like she had a headache all the time. I had to pill her even though it was a chewable. She died from a hemorragic stroke and I'm convinced it was from the Proin. She rejected it for 4 years while I forced it down her throat. In retrospect, she had good reason to reject it. I should have listened to her.

It doesn't happen to every dog for sure, but if your dog looks like it has a headache while on it, I beg of you -- please stop the Proin (aka phenylpropalanine or "ppa" for short) and try something else.

That tiny dose did control her incontinence though. No need to ramp it to 100 mg as some vets suggest if a low dose works.

I have been getting my Proin from KV for quite some time at the most reasonable price I could find. Have your vet fax your RX or give them your vet info and they will fax the vet. 180 of the 50 mg tablets for $29.00. For those using long term, its a great price and they have been very good on questions, shipping etc.

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=R40147&gift=False&0=product%5Ffamily%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D1246%26Tree%3D%2CProin&HSLB=False&mscssid=3D82931D240A4B289D81DB19BFD43C42

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star