Rasberry

Guest sal

hi, ok so I blew a rasberry on my dogs belly, weird perhaps but she likes having her belly rubbed and I have done it before. anyway, this last time she panicked and bit me catching my eye and cut my head. Well I suppose I shouldnt really do that but im surprised at the reaction, she first snapped and missed then came in again quite viciously, clawed my shoulder and bit my head. Im not really angry at her because I think it was probably my fault im just sad that we have taken some steps back in the bonding process. Will we get back on track and will I be able to love her as much. Or am I just an idiot for making her panic.

Hope you're OK?

As you've found, some dogs get freaked out over some maneuvers. Doesn't really mean you haven't bonded, just that that particular lovey scares her.

I have one here who loves tummy rubs, ear rubs, all kinds of rubs ... but if you want to examine some part of him, you have to get him up on his feet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I made this mistake with Opie, probably 4 months after we got him. He loves his tummy rubbed, of course, so both DH and I were playing with his feet also (a no no I found out!) He yelped, I tried to swoop down on him saying poor baby and to hug him, and I got a growl with a tooth that hit me right above the nose by my eye. I had a black eye, and a purple face for a while. Some of this were some alpa / place in our pack issues that we had to work through too (he would growl at me, but not DH) but the other was knowing what this dog did and did not like. Now I pet tummy when he asks for it, but I would never give a Rasberry. I try never to intrude totally in his space, or do something that I know he would not like or consider very foreign for a dog. I am sure you two will be good pals again - this too shall pass.

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I blow rasberries on Sunshines belly all the time! I always make sure she knows I'm bending down though and make goofy play noises so she's never suprised by it. Rainy doesn't roach so no rasberries for her. Hope you 2 get back on track quickly

------

Jessica

Sorry you experienced that. No flames here but why would you do that? :blink:

You will definitely get back on track, don't worry about that. She was scared and it happened so fast for her and she was in a very vulnerable position so she had no time to just growl for a warning. She had to bite to get her message across.

I have 5 dogs who I consider myself extremely bonded with, big time. I sleep with 4 of them every night. Up close and personal. With that said, I would never try and blow raspberries on their tummy. I'd get bit! And I've already been bit pretty severely so I don't want that to happen again! ;)

You learn by mistakes!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MyBoys

Okay, since you said first, yes, you are an idiot for causing her to panic :wacko: I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I am glad that you are okay and not to much damage. But like Robin said, why would you do that, rubbing her belly is one thing but when a dog is on it's back in his/her mind they are in a very vulnerable position and will usually only give that position when they are in a submisive state, she was expecting a belly rub and you scared the crap out of her so she reacted like any dog would. I would skip the rasberry from now on and just do the belly rub. I am pretty sure she will appreciate that.

Guest sweetpea

I know my girl does not like her tummy messed with, at all. It's not that she doesn't love me, or trust me,

she just does not like any one (human or otherwise) that close to her nethers.

She roaches all the time, and we applaud her technique, but we would never do anything to any animal that would make them

feel trapped. Think about it, even though you've done this before, from a dog's perspective you're looming over them while

they're in a very vulnerable position, basically pinning them. If I were a dog I'd want out of there, toot sweet!

(Not out of the house, just out of that position.)

I'm not trying to be critical but I'm with Robin (and Myboys too!), I'd steer clear of the tummy raspberries.

Good luck!

Buzzy

Edited by sweetpea

Been there, done that. Didn't get a Tshirt for it though. :P

Most people have thought they could do something with a dog - and learned otherwise. People often make assumptions that dogs aren't ready for. I "thought" my sleep aggressive dog had gotten better - let him sleep in my bed - rolled on him in my sleep - and got bit on the head. Both of us woke up in a panic. And it hurt like hell. My mistake - the dog wasn't ready. But it still hurt! :eek

Honestly - it's not a huge deal. You did something - the dog didn't like it - the dog told you. No harm. Listen to the dog. Don't do that again anytime soon. It's not a reflection on your relationship, or on the dog. It's an incident. Learn from it - respect boundries - move on. Easy. :)

ETA: after a while - that same dog - slept in our bed every night. Time - I mean years - comfort level - and adjustment - made that work.

Edited by sobesmom

Guest mcsheltie

Honestly - it's not a huge deal. You did something - the dog didn't like it - the dog told you. No harm. Listen to the dog. Don't do that again anytime soon. It's not a reflection on your relationship, or on the dog. It's an incident. Learn from it - respect boundries - move on. Easy. :)

Good advice.

Will we get back on track and will I be able to love her as much. Or am I just an idiot for making her panic.

Yes, and yes. :lol

The mistake you made was one that an awful lot of people make. They forget that their dogs aren't really 'fur kids' but dogs. Our own babies and young kids looooove belly raspberries. It makes them laugh and giggle and it's a bonding time for us. For dogs, it's an extremely scary and uncomfortable position to be in. Imagine it from the dog's perspective - they think they are about to be disembowelled. Actually, they don't have time to think, they just react. If they waited to think, in the wild, they'd be dead.

Unintentionally, you were role-playing a dog attacking her with intent to kill, and you can't blame her for reacting accordingly.

Best thing to do now is take a step back and don't treat her so much like a human baby, and maybe get a good book on dog social behaviour and body language - I'd recommend Patricia McConnell's 'The Other End of the Leash' or Stanley Coren's 'How to Speak Dog'. Once you understand each other better, she will trust you again, and you will trust her.

We all make mistakes in the early days. Learn from it and move on. Dogs are very adaptable and willing to trust, given the chance, and they forgive easily when they love you. And once you understand where she's coming from, you won't be afraid of her. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest PhillyPups

Yowzer - as said above, she was in submissive mode to you and you made a move to gut her - she only has one defense, and she did it.

Once again, a human error in dog causes normal dog reaction. The sad part is if you returned her for her reaction, she would be labeled a biter.I am not flaming, or even saying that this is your thought, but many people do return dogs for this very reason, and the dog gets mislabeled.

I will agree with you on being an idiot for doing it, but time to move forward, which she has done already. Your relationship has only changed in your mind. In her mind she has already moved on and still loves you.:P

Remember she is a dog, will always be a dog, and will understand you, but she will always speak dog, loud and clear. You can dress her as cute as you want to, pamper her as much as you want to, and she will still be a dog. On the upside, she will never hold a grudge. Greyhounds are the most forgiving breed.

Silverfish offered two very good books to read.

Enjoy her, love her, respect that she is a dog and withhold the raspberries for humans. :lol

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest PhillyPups

alright ta, yeah ok im an idiot. im not returning her though dont worry.

But a nice dog-lovin idiot. :lol

I knew that you weren't returning her. :P

I was just pointing out that people do return dogs for that simple reason. I hesitated adding that as I did not want it taken as if that was your thought, because your post never said it, and never showed frustration/anger towards her for her natural reaction.

Hug your hound, but no raspberries. :lol

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest barkdogs

Live and learn, huh? :grouphug Being a bit slow on the uptake myself, I do it every day! Seems like you have a rational perspective and you're not blaming the dog-it's just one of those things that happens. No need for blame anywhere--just a learning experience! I hope your wounds are OK!

yeah im ok thanks. purple eyelid but that can only save on time and eyeshadow! shes chilling on the sofa happy as larry butter wouldnt melt. bless :rolleyes:

Guest jaws4evr

Well as others have said, the dog really didn't act out of line at all. It's important to remember that the fur kids are dogs, not humans. So something that to you communicates love or playfulness or affection, can communicate EATING AND BITING to a dog. You never see a dog go up to another dog and give it a full arm hug, or a tickle... to humans that's all very natural and wonderful, however to a dog it can be very threatening, no matter how well meaning it is. So if we remember to communicate with dogs the way a dog would communicate with us, it's a lot safer and more clear for everyone. A dog will only understand our actions, not the meaning or intention behind our actions.

That being said, the dog reacted to a specific incident, not to you as a whole person, and you're not blaming her so it's all good. I'm sure if you're careful and dilligent your relationship with her will only continue to improve.

Live and learn, I'm glad your eye is okay!

Guest auforygirl

Ok so I might get flamed on this one but most of these things you can train them to get used to. Which I feel is important so that way if someone else like kids or other people do it they don't freak out with them. But you do need to gradually do it. Just like sleep aggression start small and work your way up. You know she likes belly rubs, while rubbing slowing bring your head down while talking to her even give a goody if you want. Then after a few weeks of this a quick kiss (perhaps having a pillow in the hand closest to the head is a good idea as a shield. I did this while working on her sleep aggression) Continue talking and rubbing. Also make the noise away from her at random times and give her raspberries all over on non sensitive areas. Finally when she is nonreactive do very short ones. (keeping the pillow nearby) Once she is confident you aren't killing her she will be fine.

Ok so I might get flamed on this one but most of these things you can train them to get used to. Which I feel is important so that way if someone else like kids or other people do it they don't freak out with them. But you do need to gradually do it. Just like sleep aggression start small and work your way up. You know she likes belly rubs, while rubbing slowing bring your head down while talking to her even give a goody if you want. Then after a few weeks of this a quick kiss (perhaps having a pillow in the hand closest to the head is a good idea as a shield. I did this while working on her sleep aggression) Continue talking and rubbing. Also make the noise away from her at random times and give her raspberries all over on non sensitive areas. Finally when she is nonreactive do very short ones. (keeping the pillow nearby) Once she is confident you aren't killing her she will be fine.

I agree! I certainly didn't start blowing on Sunshine belly until she was used to me kissing it and tickling and making silly goofy noises. Now she likes it. She wiggles around on her back with a silly dog smile making her piggy snort noises. :rolleyes:

------

Jessica

It is nice to know im not the only one to do it! were not weird are we lol. Even though I wont be doing it again. I do think she needs to be used to people being in her space though just incase anyone else gets too close, especially kids. Will just see how we go.

It is nice to know im not the only one to do it! were not weird are we lol. Even though I wont be doing it again. I do think she needs to be used to people being in her space though just incase anyone else gets too close, especially kids. Will just see how we go.

Oh, you're certainly not the only one to do it! And though we can train our dogs to get used to our human ways (including raspberries - but only for some dogs, some will always nail you), I think you're wise. If a child sees an adult taking this particular liberty, he might copy it with disastrous results. :nod

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest burgerandfrey

Not too long ago someone posted about their husband being bitten pretty badly by a grey who didn't appreciate a playful raspberry to the belly. Fortunately it sounds like yours didn't end up with as much blood, but I'm sure it was still frightening.

I know it's hard to resist when they like to snuggle and roach, but I would never give any dog a raspberry. Maybe that's because I didn't like getting them when I was a kid :lol . I think it can be kind of like getting tickled. Some kids like it and others hate it. It takes time to learn a dog's boundaries, and even then you never know. Nine out of ten times they might let something slide, but it's that tenth time...

Even hugs make many dogs uncomfortable, but we do hug our dogs once we get to know them and they trust us. Most of the time though, we let them tell us what they want. Sometimes they just want to snuggle, sometimes they want their head and ears scratched, and sometimes they just want to stand next to you and get maybe a pat on the back or shoulder. As for our two greys, I will rub Lola's belly when she is snuggling up to me. She is the real snuggle-bunny of our two dogs, and is completely trusting when she is asleep. I will not rub Zeke's belly. He likes to climb onto the sofa and snuggle up next to you, but he does not like being handled too much. He has a history of sleep aggression, but only when he is approached while sleeping. If he chooses to snuggle with you and sleep, he will be fine as long as you don't surprise him. An arm on his shoulder or even patting his chest isn't a problem, but generally he is one of those sleeping dogs you best let lie ;)

Sean