How Often Does Your Grey Get A Dental?

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

My girl, Bea had one last October but when we were at the vet yesterday, he said it's time again. Her teeth were horrible when we got her last year and at her first dental with us, two molars had to come out. I brush and use CET every single day but her gums are still kind of red.

Is 6 months normal for some greys?

Just wondering about others and how long a dental will last even with daily brushing!

Thanks!

Leanne and Bea :colgate

Guest Energy11

Don't go by me! Mine haven't had dentals since they were adopted ... a good four to five years. I use CET toothpaste and Cholorhexadine rinse everyother day. On the off days, Petzlife gel and spray. Staggerlee could use one, but, to be honest, even he isn't that bad.

I know someone in our group has a dental done every 6 months for one of their greys...now mine on the other hand, have awesome teeth and haven't had a dental since they were adopted (4.5 years for Pop, just over 2 years for Zelda)...BUT I do try to give rawhides and brush their teeth (try to weekly, hasn't happened lately) and I try to scrape their teeth once a month with a tool that looks like one a human dentist uses...so I will do beauty parlor today with all 3 pets...b/f says I am the one who will be lucky enough to do his dog's teeth...um, yeah, we will see on that!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest isntitgreyt

I use the Petzlife gel too ( I think Energy11 is who told me about it :) Anyway, the vet I was using told me Glenda needed a dental, well actually all of them do according to this vet who charges $300 just to start. I recently switched vets and they told me Glenda's teeth are stained and no amount of dentals will change that. This vet also told me her teeth were in good shape and not to worry about it. I've also been giving turkey necks once a week as well.

I just got Rainman and took him to the vet that starts at $300 since they are approved by my rescue and Rainman is a foster until I make it official. His teeth don't look that much better since the dental either. His are stained like his momma Glenda's are. He did lose a K9 though. So don't take it from me but I might think of a second opinion.

Guest Swifthounds

Mine haven't gotten dentals for a few years. I raw feed, so they get lots of teeth cleaning action there, plus no carbs to much up their teeth. I use a Chlorhexadine water additive, a Chlorhexadine rinse, and a Chlorhexadine gel as well. I also have tooth brushes that I use with the gel (no crap "doggie" tooth paste) and a scaler if need be. I've heard good things about the Petzlife gel, but haven't tried it yet.

I wouldn't say it's uncommon for people to take their greyhounds once a year or twice a year for a dental. I personally am not a fan of anesthesia that frequently (and IMO a non-anesthetic dental can be dangerous and ineffective). More of my motivation, however, was the realization that the purpose of a clean mouth is to keep teeth and gums healthy (not just pretty) and to keep the mouth from dumping loads of harmful bacteria into the blood stream and into vital organs. If you just do dentals, even every six months, 363 days out of the year the dog has a nasty mouth that's dumping bacteria and making the dog ill. Once I started doing routine maintenance and eliminated the kibble, I started making progress with gum health, and a dental became almost obsolete.

At this point I would consider a dental for a dog only where problems persisted despite my efforts or where a tooth was loose or needed extraction.

Doc is eight, I have had him for four years. He has all his teeth and has never needed a dental. :colgate

I do brush his teeth for him every day, somewhat to his chagrin, but I think there's an element of luck. As with humans, some dogs just have stronger teeth than others, and diet past and present must also play a part.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

We feed raw. No dental in 6 years.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Guest greytkidsmom

Three dogs here -

One needs a dental every 6 months and I use the chlorhexidine water additive and brush daily.

One went for 2.5 years without a dental and her teeth look great. Unfortunately she got a root abscess and had to have an extraction about 2 weeks ago. Guess you never can know what is brewing below.

The third is close to his one-year mark and looks like he can go a little longer.