Miles Bit My Roommate On A Walk... Resource Guarding?

Guest greytmiles

I've seen collar aggression in hounds before. I'd try to avoid handling him by his collar or harness, and also desensitize him to being handled there inside (without your roommate present at first). Touch his collar briefly, click, treat. Repeat a billion times. Touch his harness in his chest area, click, treat, repeat ad naseum. Work up to holding onto the loop of his collar, or tugging slightly on the harness, etc. If at any point he appears uncomfortable rather than happy to be receiving treats, take steps back.

I do also wonder about a pain issue somewhere in his upper body, neck or chest area. It may not be likely, but I do wonder. A normal vet exam might not turn up something like that.

Also, I would ask your roommate to start doing things to get him more comfortable with him again, along the same lines as the collar. Roommate approaches, drops treats, walks away. Repeat. Roommate approaches and Miles eats treat out fo hand, walks away. Do it inside at first, then move to working on it outside. You might have the roommate not go on walks for a bit, or only come for part and be feeding him regularly during that time.

I'd encourage you to use a clicker in all of your training too, per my diatribe in your other thread. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest trevdog

It sounds like he is trying to be assertive now. You need to have your roomate feed him and give treats too, Miles needs to know he isn't the one in charge. Also NILIF is very important, I'd start training him to work for things. And definitely don't allow him on the furniture at this point.