Hook Worm : (

Guest Duke

Hi all- coming to you for your wealth of knowledge again. Duke was diagnosed with hookworm and was given a 1 1/2 dose of Drontal Plus. Please share your experiences with this med so I do not feel alone. I gave him the dosage last night with dinner and today he is whiny, irritated and downright unhappy. Hoping it is all part of the deworming side effects. He makes me sad to see him so uncomfortable.

Guest Energy11

thanks- I did find that website helpful, he seems to be perking up a little, I might entice him with a walk.

That might help! colgate.gif

Our foster whippet came to us with hookworm and was given the Drontal Plus and had no side effects from it.

A warning about hookworm though......it can come back. I made sure to potty Hallie in a different grassy area than our yard and I picked it up right away. I didn't want her to infect our yard and then infect our other dogs. It can be really hard to get rid of. Really hard. I've known someone who had to kill their grass to get rid of it. If you've never dealt with it, you may want to do some reading on it. You'll need to get Duke retested after about 2 weeks of treatment (I believe) and hopefully he'll come back clean or he'll have to take the Drontal again.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

For hooks, you need to do 2-3 rounds of treatment a couple weeks apart to catch all the beasties as they go through their life cycle. Your vet should be aware of the appropriate schedule.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For hooks, you need to do 2-3 rounds of treatment a couple weeks apart to catch all the beasties as they go through their life cycle. Your vet should be aware of the appropriate schedule.

Yup, this is on the money. I got 12 drontal plus tabs from an AU site and dosed Danger for 3 days in a row, waited 10 day, dosed him another 3 days, waited 10 more day dosed him again with two drontal plus and his regular heartwormer and we haven't had an issue since.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

thank you all for the information, I'll be back a the vet's with a stool sample and will continue my education on these parasites. I do clean up his feces everywhere he goes. I found out that one of the dogs in his foster home has had it four times, possible he got it then, I dont know, i just need to keep it under control and away from him.

Guest greytkidsmom

Tiel came to us with hooks so bad that she was too anemic to spay. It took several rounds of meds to get her worm-free (I want to say about 5 or 6). Once she was worm-free, her personality really blossomed - she must have been feeling really poorly. Hope Duke gets to feeling better soon.

The vet also recommended filling a spray bottle with a dilute bleach solution and then spraying the area where the poop was after you pick it up. You'll have spots of dead grass everywhere for a while but it is better than the alternative of a worm-infested yard.

Guest TeddysMom

Because I live in the country with lots of wildlife, cows and the foster dogs that come through, I have to really keep on top of the worming. The vet recomended that I worm everybody every two months. I also take ramdon stool samples in to make sure that my dogs stay worm free.

thank you all for the information, I'll be back a the vet's with a stool sample and will continue my education on these parasites. I do clean up his feces everywhere he goes. I found out that one of the dogs in his foster home has had it four times, possible he got it then, I dont know, i just need to keep it under control and away from him.

Once you get him hookworm free, you might consider using Interceptor for heartworm control because it also will control hookworms.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest Tokolos

I was just gonna suggest the same thing, Chicocat. Our vet gave us Interceptor, and it controls heart, hook, round, and whipworms---all in a nice chewable, monthly tablet.

Yes, went back to the vet today, with a stool sample, left with another dose of Drontal and just ordered monthly interceptor.

Edited by Duke