Nube Had A Weird Back End Problem This Morning

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this? He seemed fine when Bruce fed him at 5am – but when we got up around 7:30, he seemed ok as I got dressed in the bedroom (had just been roaching on the bed, I was loving on him) but he stumbled really badly on the 2nd to last of 6 steps going down the stairs (almost fell), and then his whole back end was super wobbly, he almost went down 2 times on the hardwood floors, and was walking/standing really wobbly/oddly. Even his tail was hanging really weird? It seemed like it might have been just his back left leg, but then it seemed to be the whole back end. I gave him a ½ an aspirin (half a 325 mg – I have the 81 mg baby aspirin but it has saccharin and I haven’t yet been able to find out that’s ok for them???)-- thinking FCE. He seems to be mostly ok now, went down/up the stairs ok (we watched like hawks, of course). I don’t think it was like his leg was asleep, since he was fine in the bedroom right before and it seemed like more than just one leg.

has anyone ever had a episode like this? I'm so worried about my big lug :( :( :(

ps. Nube just turned 8 on 12/25/09.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest K9_Lady

Maybe he has arthritis Kim. It really could be many things. A friends GSD had something similar a few months ago and believe it or not her dog got Lyme disease. Her Vet decided to run a blood panel and they caught it! He is going great now.

I will be thinking positive thoughts for Nube and I hope that Rainey is doing better too! :grouphug

How worrying. Yes, we had that happen to our Great Dane and it turned out to be a degenerative problem involving the transmissivity of nerve impulses and reflexes along the spine. The vet checked out lots of different things including diabetes but concluded that it was a natural wear and tear issue in a dog already well past their average lifespan. She had it first in just one back limb and then it gradually progressed until both showed problems from time to time causing her to fall. After about 2 years she lost the use of her back legs and we had her PTS. Just be careful when going down stairs and try to hold the collar and sland so your dog can't 'jacknife'. Good luck.

Guest Energy11

Could be FCE, arthritis, anything like that.

Sounds like a good vet eval in order. If it is severe arthritis, an NSAID like Deramaxx or Rimadyl would be a good idea.

I prefer using only the 81 mg low dose aspirin, twice a day. A lot of vets, including mine, frown on ANY aspirin at all, but if you need it, you need it.

You can get the kind without saccarin in the stores.

Good Luck, and hope he feels better soon!

We had a dog do that and it turned out he was in kidney failure; it was pain from the kidneys! That's not likely your issue but it just shows how wide a variety of things can cause a dog to fall or stumble. Whatever the cause, it's vexing. Keeping my :goodluck that it's nothing serious!

How has he been this afternoon? Wish I had some advice, just have good thoughts instead.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope he is better now...let us know.

Similar symptoms appeared in Bumper except they progressed across his whole back end to the point he almost couldn't walk (first 'episode'). Rimadyl helped and ataxic symptoms went away. They came back with a vengeance last summer, though and nearly put him under. After an MRI, we found out it was an auto-immune disorder causing inflammation in his spine. He is about 80% recovered (has trouble running as there is nerve damage) but is still the same goofball. The Dexamathazone he has been on for 9 months has been really helping. There's another idea for you IF the ataxia progresses.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Hi guys, thanks for all the thoughts and advice!

he seemed to be okay the rest of the day, we kept an eye on him all day to make sure. He was again a little wobbly (not nearly as bad as yesterday) again this morning right after getting up, so maybe he's just stiff or something after sleeping all night? What's weird is he was perfectly fine at 5am when Bruce fed him, both yesterday and today. But after going back to bed and then getting up 3 hours later, he was wobbly. You'd think it would happen after he got up the first time since he was laying down for longer? :dunno

Our Lab Chester :angelwings developed LS at around age 10 and it slowly robbed him of his entire back end muscles, we ended up carrying him up/down the stairs the last couple years of his life. He did, however, live to be almost 15 with it. This is different though, Chet was never "wobbly", just weak.

we're going to keep a close eye on him and if it happens again (or gets worse) we'll see about a vet visit, or maybe chiropractic?

thanks again for all the help!!! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

VERY bad arthritis can present like this. Lying down a long time, and then been weak and wobbly when getting up, could just be that.

A good joint supplement (I like Dasequin ***seen worlds of difference in Goldie with it **** and maybe a NSAID like Deramaxx or Rimadyl, could be the answer.

I'd see the vet, or give him/her a call, to get their opinion, and go from there.

Good Luck and lots of good thoughts! Dee and The Five