Greys On The Bed

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

I must confess that I love animals on the bed because they're so warm and soft. Unfortunately, our new grey, Sprinkles, doesn't seem to enjoy the bed at all. He's never taken an interest in climbing up on his own. He loves and sleeps on the couch all the time---okay, the bed is higher---and when I've brought him up on the bed, he's seems so uncomfortable. I almost wonder if it doesn't feel "right" to him. It's a regular bed, but you'd think he was trying to balance on a waterbed the way he stands.

He's quite happy to sleep on his dog bed and on the couches, so should just give up hope of him cuddling next to me at night?

Guest KennelMom

some warm up to the bed, some never really do.

...one of the best naps ever. I wish all of our hounds liked to cuddle on the bed

3084712753_6279181a38.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Tequila

Try tossing a few treats on the bed, and see if Sprinkles will hop up there. If he doesn't, , then maybe put him on the bed yourself (lilft him up), and give him a treat while he is on the bed. If you do that a few times, he might start to like the bed because he'll associate it with getting a treat.

If you give him the run of the house while you are out, leave a few treats on top of the bed for him to "find" while you are out. He'll start hopping up there to look for treats at various times during the day. With any luck, he'll realize the bed is comfy and lay down one day to snuggle. :)

It's nice having them up there, but there is something to be said to be able to move a little at night!

DSC_2805.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Bang_o_rama

Bang sleeps on a dog bed at the foot of our bed at night, but in the morning after we feed her she is allowed up to snuggle (well,OK, go back to sleep) while we drink our coffee. She caught onto the difference very quickly.

~D~

Guest shanesmom

Elton never did overcome his fear of the bed. If I need him to clear out of my bedroom, all I have to do is pat the bed and nicely ask him to "come on up". He flies out of the room and down the hall at greyhound racing speed to get away from my bed as fast as possible lol.gif . Really, I would have liked to snuggle on my bed with him but he's not having anything to do with that.

Same thing with the couch. He's afraid of getting up on that too. He does like to sit on laps though smile.gif all 92 pounds of him.

Guest AGirlNamedMe

Bella? She's perfect (at least in this regard).

The first few nights in our room, she curled up on the dog bed. Then, we invited her up - well, I bribed her with Twinkies. Now, we'll all hang out in the bed before sleep, but when she's done, Bella will move to the floor to sleep.

Last weekend, she woke up in the morning before we were ready to get up. I patted the empty spot on the bed - she hopped up and slept for another hour.

:wub: :wub:

Guest gecko_foot

I must confess that I love animals on the bed because they're so warm and soft. Unfortunately, our new grey, Sprinkles, doesn't seem to enjoy the bed at all. He's never taken an interest in climbing up on his own. He loves and sleeps on the couch all the time---okay, the bed is higher---and when I've brought him up on the bed, he's seems so uncomfortable. I almost wonder if it doesn't feel "right" to him. It's a regular bed, but you'd think he was trying to balance on a waterbed the way he stands.

He's quite happy to sleep on his dog bed and on the couches, so should just give up hope of him cuddling next to me at night?

Tumnus has never wanted to get on the bed even though I know he can jump up there. On the other hand, my cat gladly hops up whenever he wants to. I guess some dogs just don't like it.

Guest Mooogies

It's nice having them up there, but there is something to be said to be able to move a little at night!

DSC_2805.jpg

I just love that picture!

Guest Greyhoundartist

DSC_2805.jpg

What a heart-warming photo! But it looks like the Cat has had enough and is abandoning ship. There's nothing like sharing a bed with the Hound Kidz.

Guest burgerandfrey

Our first greyhound started off sleeping with us, but eventually she decided the bed was too crowded or we moved too much. She would often start off on the bed, but then get fed up with us and get down in the middle of the night :lol

Our current greys are different. They will both sleep in our bed, but do so in shifts. Lola gets the night shift. She is smaller and fits easily on our king size bed with us. Unfortunately Lola hogs more than her share of the bed. She will somehow push one of us towards the edge while kicking the other one with her feet. She also likes to change positions several times a night, each time turning three times before lying down. We had to finally kick her out of the bed for taking up too much room and for waking us up!

Our boy Zeke is better most of the time. He will get into bed after breakfast. Despite being larger and heavier, he seems to take up less space than Lola :colgate He simply lies down wherever there is room, and he stays there. He doesn't move and doesn't hog the covers. The only problem with Zeke is that every now and then he gets surprised and wakes up with a bark. He has never bitten either one of us, but he has snapped. A couple of times he even got snarky with one of us for trying to make him move over when he was definitely awake. When that happens we banish him from the bed for a long time.

Both dogs like to snuggle with you on the sofa, but Lola is generally more into snuggling.

Sean

Dude is completely into the bed and all furniture and has been since a few minutes after coming to stay with us. He's a champion full-body-contact snuggler and would be in absolute heaven if we would feed him while snuggling on the bed.

Copper and Cash both get on the bed, but vacate when people become involved.

Toni also loves to sleep with us, though only on her own terms. She's not comfortable snuggling and prefers to lay at the bottom of the bed with her head or leg touching us. She doesn't always sleep with us - she tends to stay on her dog bed until early morning and then get up on our bed.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest IrskasMom

Robin,that Picture is Priceless. :lol:lol:lol My Morty does not go on my Bed ,leave alone on my Couch .Something happen when he jumped up on the Couch or down , I don't know. He never went on my Bed. It's cool with me. :rolleyes:

Guest kahjul

Derby and the lab sleep on a dog bed where I can put my arm out and touch them at night. The lab is a morning person and gets up with hubby at 4:30 to go outside. As soon as she goes out, Derby jumps up on the bed and sleeps until I kick her out at 7 just before I leave. If my husband isn't home, she is right on the bed at night, but if he's there, she doesn't even try. She likes the worm position-kinda like a person w/her head on a pillow.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Andy will not come on the bed, ever. He thought about it once when I was sick but decided not to. Molly, our beagle, thinks she can come on up whenever she wants! DH has lung problems so I really prefer both dogs sleep in their beds.

Guest GroomerGirl

The first couple of nights we had our little violet she wouldn't get up on the bed. My husky mix definatley is not a cuddler so I really wanted one that would hop up in bed and nap with me. The first couple of times I picked her up and put her on my bed she acted sooo uncomfortable. She just stood there looking really scared. I finally convinced her to hop on up, gave her a treat and some love and eventually she laid down and took a nap! Ever since that moment she acts like the entire bed is hers- She never wants to leave!

Each dog has their own personality and preferences, Pepper,my husky mix will only lay on the bed for 10-20 minutes before jumping off and finding his own spot. I'm so glad I have my grey, Violet, to cuddle up with!

It took George 18 months to get on the bed, and only after I picked him up and held him there a few times.

Now I can't get him off!

So don't give up!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Tokolos

Well, I bought some treats and put them on the bed, so now I know Sprinkles can actually jump up when properly motivated. I did this three times, and he stayed up there as long as I continued to pet him. Once I stopped, though, he took off. I probably shouldn't be too upset about this because he's a big-time nose-dripper and the comforter was all damp by the time he left.