How Long Can A Senior Stay On Flagyl?

Guest 4rooers

Guest 4rooers

Ozzie is my 12 year old sweetheart. I've had him almost 2 years and lately he has diarrhea

if he's not on Flagyl(has been on it about 6 weeks now). He's been tested for parasites(negative). When I try to wean him off, he stops eating with the runs starting soon after. If I give him 250mg 2x daily he does fine. He is not food motivated at all, but will eat cooked hamburger with oatmeal and sweet potato over 1 cup of Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice 2x daily. I was using overcooked rice but he did not digest it at all. Have a call in to the vet, but thought I needed some evidence based advice from all you knowledgeable grey lovers.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Edited by 4rooers

Is he on any probiotics or yogurt to help his colon?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest 4rooers

Is he on any probiotics or yogurt to help his colon?

Yes, he gets yogurt about3x weekly, have tried probiotics in the past without luck( forteflora and probios)

Kim

Guest Energy11

I am sorry your baby is having problems. TO BE HONEST, I dont' know how long they can stay on Flagyl. That is a question for your vet.

Our Cari, 8, has bowel issues. I have to keep her on grain-free foods, and sometimes, I have to add Purina EN, prescription diet to her food.

I'd keep your guy on a BLAND diet for a few weeks, and then, see what is what.

Good Luck!

Long term flagyl can be tolerated but, there are a few pups that will present with side effects. Dr Couto recently mentioned that he has had success with good ole Pepto---2 tabs by mouth 3 times a day. Not sure if the 2 medictions should be given together--I would check with your vet first.

Guest 4rooers

Just got off the phone with my holistic vet. She said I should try taking him off dry food and will be adding a chinese herbal supplement to support his digestion, this supplement is a tonic formula to help with a spleen qi deficiency. She was just here last week for an acupuncture session with him. Also said grain free may be too hard on his kidneys so he'll be eating ground sirloin with oatmeal and sweet potato. Keep him in your prayers, he is the best boy!

Kim

Edited by 4rooers

when both my old ones got ,, old runny butt syndrome.. it seems like they NEVER could keep good production of solid poop :rolleyes:

we ruled out all the worms, giardia, issues, they were fine, just forever runny poop.

my vet said yes, at their age 14 & 15, they could be on a daily dose of Metronidizole (one pill morning & night) It was one of the best things I ever did for them.

Peace at last with the poop issues.

Good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

giardia can be really difficult to clear up. interceptor should keep you old boy free of worms- is he on it as a heart worm preventative? mmmmm....talk to your vet. the pepto will block the asorption of the meds, so do call him first. since you are not a grain person, i guess over cooked white rice w/ 25% beef or chicken is out of the question. that works for me.

good luck!

Guest 4rooers

giardia can be really difficult to clear up. interceptor should keep you old boy free of worms- is he on it as a heart worm preventative? mmmmm....talk to your vet. the pepto will block the asorption of the meds, so do call him first. since you are not a grain person, i guess over cooked white rice w/ 25% beef or chicken is out of the question. that works for me.

good luck!

He is on Interceptor. Today he has done well. Ate 1 cup of beef,2/3 cup oatmeal with a tbsp of sweet potato AM and PM and seems to feel better. He is so stressed at vets office that I am going with advice from acupuncture vet that comes to the house. She is wonderful and teaches at Va Tech at their vet school so I really trust her.

Thanks for all the advice. Everyone is so good to share their knowledge here.

Kim

If flagyl works for him, I'd keep using it. Have known of dogs on it for 6 months or more. It has the advantage over most other meds of being anti-inflammatory as well as antibiotic. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.