Prescriptions From Wal-Mart/meijer?

Ok everyone. I thought I remember awhile back someone saying that they get their dogs' prescriptions from the vet and then have them filled at a regular pharmacy...that they even get some off of the $4/$10 lists! Is that true? And how does the vet write the script so that the store will actually do that? Thanks!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

There are quite a few meds we use for the dogs that are actually human meds.

Some people think Tramadol is an animal med, it isin't it's a human drug. And there are quite a few more.

My Misty was actually on the Walgreen's drug program for her Lysodren

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Don't know about Meijer, but both Walmart and Sam's Club fill human med prescriptions for dogs. (You don't need to be a member at Sam's Club.) Your vet can either give you a written prescription or call one in. That's how I do all of mine, and it saves me a ton of money.

Guest mountain4greys

Recently, I just had a prescription filled at WalMart for one of my dogs. It was funny to, I went up to the counter, and told them I was picking up for Elvis. They didn't bat an eye, just went and checked, and said yes, here's one for Elvis.

Ok everyone. I thought I remember awhile back someone saying that they get their dogs' prescriptions from the vet and then have them filled at a regular pharmacy...that they even get some off of the $4/$10 lists! Is that true? And how does the vet write the script so that the store will actually do that? Thanks!

Hi from Ohio. I have Meijer here, along with Kroger and Giant Eagle. Here's the run-down (at least here in central Ohio).

Meijer -- they price match other pharmacies. They don't have an actual $4/$10 prescription plan. One time I got someone who said they wouldn't price match for a dog. Another time, they said no problem and matched the $4/$10.

Kroger -- they have the $4 for a month and $10 for 3 months. They don't care if it is for a dog. They have a info online as to what is on the list. Some drugs (antibiotics for example) have a monthly limit of less than 30 days. In other words, they might say that a typical course of treatment is only 14 days, so that is all they will give you.

Giant Eagle -- they have many FREE antibiotics. They don't care if it is for a dog. Other drugs are $4 / $10.

All your vet has to do is write out a prescription (they all have prescription pads just like human doctors). They will put the dog's name on the Patient line. Since the veterinary clinic name or the Doctor's name followed by DVM will be on the prescription, the pharmacy will know it is for a dog. It is really just like getting a human prescription from your doctor.

I have found most vets around here are willing to write a prescription -- especially if it is a human med. One of my vets just assumes that you will want to fill it at a pharmacy and just provides a prescription without asking.

If it is not on the $4/$10 formulary it might be as expensive as filling it at the vet's office. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

BTW, I don't shop at WalMart so I don't know if they fill a dog's prescription for $4.

Jane

p.s. just came home from the vet with prescriptions for amoxicillin and enalapril. I will fill them both at Giant Eagle for $4 -- YAY!

Edited by joejoesmom

I get Mandy's meds at Costco. The difference in price paid for the yearly membership and because I don't have prescription insurance for her, I was able to enroll her in the prescription savings program, which takes off a few more dollars.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Yep - anything that has a human equivalent drug my vet writes me a script for it. Target/Walmart/Costco do nicely. Miss Rose has an account at our Target.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Good to know because I have a Sam's Club business membership through my dad and they give up to 75% off the prescriptions to business members! I will have to see if Pop's thyroid med is on any of these lists...that alone would save a bundle! And since he is currently breaking out, I am sure he will end up with antibiotics, so we will see if those are on the list as well!

Ok, so I just looked at both Kroger and Wal-Mart and on their $4/$10 lists are Pop's thyroid meds AND when he broke out last time, he had prednisone & cephalexin, both of which are on the list...too bad the ketoconazole isn't on there...but maybe I can get the vet to prescribe something that is? I could kick myself for how much I paid @ the vets not thinking to have the scripts filled elsewhere!!!

Apparently fluconazole is less toxic & more effective then ketoconazole...and it's on the list! So, if the vet tries to prescribe the same things, I will say 'Sript please!'

Edited by kolarik1

I could kick myself for how much I paid @ the vets not thinking to have the scripts filled elsewhere!!!

Don't kick yourself too hard because your vet should have told you and given you the option

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I could kick myself for how much I paid @ the vets not thinking to have the scripts filled elsewhere!!!

Don't kick yourself too hard because your vet should have told you and given you the option

The vet before I moved was pretty reasonably priced, but still not as good as this...never really gave the option.

The new vet in new city...never gave the option...heck, I had to say that I wanted them to write a script for heartworm (Interceptor)...I hate to think how much they would have gouged me for that...the 3 meds they put Pop on for his breakout last time cost about $94 for 30 days...whereas I can get all of them on the list for about $30 or less! Heck, his thyroid they charged $55.60 for a 60 day supply...90 day supply is $10? Hmmmm.....

Our current vet will call/write scripts for us, the trouble we have is with certain people at the counter where we pick up the filled scripts. The old vet would charge $10.00 dollars to write a script & was hateful about it. I get Noelle's insulin & needles at walmart, when they bother to order in what she needs. Target doesn't have genric(sp) insulin but was told to check Kroger for it. Since walmart is our only store to shop in unless we drive 40/50 miles away we're stuck.

Guest spider9174

I get Kit's panus eye drops at the local pharmacy (Jewel-Osco). They will price match with Walmart. So, I'm able to get the drops for $4/bottle. You have to tell them it is on the $4 list. I know another lady who gets her dogs drops at Walmart for the same price. I have had my vet fax in the prescription.

Guest krystolla

When my eldest kitty needed blood pressure meds we would get those filled at Giant Eagle -- usually one-time prescriptions I pick up at my vet but if it's reoccurring I go for the grocery store option. The pharmacy tech working there tried to get Thea a discount due to her being unemployed and without health insurance. :) Unfortunately, she didn't qualify -- I believe she wasn't old enough (at 10 years).

When my eldest kitty needed blood pressure meds we would get those filled at Giant Eagle -- usually one-time prescriptions I pick up at my vet but if it's reoccurring I go for the grocery store option. The pharmacy tech working there tried to get Thea a discount due to her being unemployed and without health insurance. :) Unfortunately, she didn't qualify -- I believe she wasn't old enough (at 10 years).

OMG that is hilarious! Getting her a discount...too funny!

My vets have gladly called in scripts to Sams for all my dogs.

As far as I know all pharmacies can and will will fill dog meds. I got Harley's meds at Walgreens in Lubbock -- He was listed as Harley dog Hart.

DVMs and dentists are doctors and can write scripts to be filled at pharmacies but sometimes we forget that.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Last time Woody needed antibiotics I got them for free at Meijer. Unfortunately my vet charges 6.00 to write a perscription if you fill it elsewhere unless it is something they do not carry. They enter (canine) after the dog's name so the pharacist is never suprised by the odd racing names for foster dogs.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Well, on the generic list they don't go above a 0.2 mg L-thyroxine for thyroid, so it would still cost about $60 which is about what I was paying at the vets....BUT I did some checking online and Drs Foster & Smith have the best pricing for the L-thyroxine...I got 0.3 & 0.8 (120 each) for a total of $18.00! :banana:banana And to top it off free shipping as supposedly everything from their pharmacy and flea/tick area has free shipping...I am so excited as that is a $38 savings over the vet for the same amount of meds! Now I am kicking myself in the butt for not looking online before!