Kulee Needs Good Thoughts And Prayers!

Thirteen months ago on February 24, 2009, I lost my little Mouse to some unknown/undetermined liver disease. Watching her illness and not knowing what was making her sick was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Losing her was almost as bad as losing my Crooked girl 4 years ago. I haven't even been able to post a memorial because it is too hard.

Back to Kulee... Kulee is Mouse's littermate. They were as different as night and day. Yesterday, Kulee spit up a little bit of fluid twice, once in the morning, once in the evening. No big deal but I thought I'd have her looked at by my vet today at work and also the visiting acupuncture vet when she was here this morning. While the acupuncture vet was needling her this morning, I happened to flip up Kulee's ear and it had a slight yellow tinge... and her eyes and gums do, too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kulee is a very special girl who probably suffered a head injury based on the lump that was on her head when we got her AND also her attitude/personality/mannerisms. She is just special. She also had a very high titer for Ehrlichia when she came to us and she gets Doxy twice yearly to treat it.

PLEASE send good thoughts and prayers that she is yellow because she likes the color and not because her liver is sick!!!

Edited to add: I forgot to say that lab work will definitely be done today as well as x-rays. I've already ordered Chinese herbs for liver support and I have milk thistle left from Mouse last year. I'll pick up SAM-E from Costco tomorrow if labwork definitely comes back showing problems. We'll start meds immediately AND I'll also schedule an ultrasound for next week if needed. Unfortunately, I have Mouse's protocol of meds/supplements jammed into my memory!!!

UPDATE- 2:20 PM Wednesday: We just did xrays and it looks like her gallbladder could possibly be obstructed (I think that's the right word... my brain is a little frazzled). I've talked to the ultrasound vet and even though he's off on Friday, he said he'd pop up here Friday morning before going out of town to ultrasound her! He's such a nice guy! If it is her gallbladder, that is a good thing (in my mind!). We'll start her on Actigall and hopefully get everything cleaned up. Keep your fingers crossed for her!!!!

Thanks for the support, everyone!!!!

Thursday morning update:

Kulee is doing pretty well so far. No vomiting since Tuesday evening and she's loving her new diet... Royal Canin prescription Low Fat canned food. Her bloodwork came back and it looks like it is her gallbladder but whether it's obstructed or just sludgy we won't know until the ultrasound. I've left a message for that vet letting him know the results. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's just the gallbladder being sludgy and it just needs cleaned out!

Thanks again!

Friday afternoon update:

Well, okay news and not okay news. Ultrasound says not her gallbladder BUT her liver doesn't look like a sick liver. The vet said that if he hadn't seen her labwork, he would think it was a normal liver for a 9 year old dog. I also had bile acids run yesterday on the blood that we sent in on Wednesday and the results were WAY, WAY, WAY high! So we did a liver biopsy (results should be back middle of next week)and we hope that will tell us something but then again maybe we don't want it to tell us anything! I just know that I want her to not be sick!!! Thankfully she is not acting sick at all so that makes me feel better.

Sending my thanks out to everyone once more!!!! Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming... maybe they are working!!!

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear she isn't feeling well.

I would get some bloodwork done on her, and hopefully, this is something transient. If it is liver-related, there are a lot of good supplements you can give her, too.

Sending love, hugs and prayers!

sending prayers! Hopefully something minor you can fix in no time :grouphug

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Thanks for the update, Sheila. You've got me worried sick now! :blush

So you can imagine how I feel. I think I might look like this... :blink:

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest eaglflyt

UPDATE- 2:20 PM Wednesday: We just did xrays and it looks like her gallbladder could possibly be obstructed (I think that's the right word... my brain is a little frazzled). I've talked to the ultrasound vet and even though he's off on Friday, he said he'd pop up here Friday morning before going out of town to ultrasound her! He's such a nice guy! If it is her gallbladder, that is a good thing (in my mind!). We'll start her on Actigall and hopefully get everything cleaned up. Keep your fingers crossed for her!!!!

Thanks for the support, everyone!!!!

Oh, that is good news, I think! I'm so happy that you've probably got the diagnosis and a treatment plan! Hugs to both you and sweet Kulee! :)

Guest Energy11

Yes, sounds like a GREAT vet!

Gallbladder, you can deal with. Obstruction is probably what you heard. Happens all the time in humans.

Sending love and hugs your way!

Guest K9Cookies

Thanks for the update, Sheila. You've got me worried sick now! :blush

So you can imagine how I feel. I think I might look like this... :blink:

Yeah, I can only imagine! :blush Hang in there!

Edited by K9Cookies

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope it is gall bladder because, as others have said, you can deal with it. I'm sure you'll still give her the liver support things since she's yellow, right?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

:goodluck

I hope the problem is identified (confirmed) and the treatment is easy and quickly successful.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)