Lovie Reacting To New Grey

Guest jvandover

Guest jvandover

I just got a second Grey, Chad, yesterday. I will post some pics of him in another thread.

This thread is about Lovie. I know Chad just came home, and Lovie hasn't even been with us that long (3 months) but I am curious/worried at Lovie's behavior. Lovie is very passive, and she won't tell Chad off. She seems intimidated by him. She stays in her crate most of the day, and won't even always come out if called. She won't eat if he is around, I have to keep him in a separate room (I already feed Lovie in the kitchen, and Chad in the dining room). If he goes near her food she just lets him push her out of the way, she doesn't even growl.

It doesn't seem to me that Chad is being a bully, he is a huge goofball. He sometimes pushes her out of the way to go somewhere (he is about 15 lbs heavier) but it is more like him just being eager/energetic.

I know it is way to early to be TOO worried, they just only met. Should I let Lovie hide in her crate, or should I close the door? Should I put Chad somewhere else when I feed her? It seems like a band-aid solution, not a long term one. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Guest bluefawn

First of all, congratulations! I kinda have the opposite situation. Penny was the "only child" for 5 years now. She is very timid in public and around other dogs, but quite the little 48-pound alpha at home! 2 weeks ago I adopted big, tall, gangly, goofy Candi, who is still a "puppy" (11 months old but still very much a puppy). She steps on Penny's feet, tries to steal her food, and jumps on her when we are out in the yard. She actually "stalks" Penny! It's hilarious! But Penny became very withdrawn when I first brought Candi home. She just was not herself. She let Candi do those things to her, and I felt so sorry for her, and wondered if I had done the right thing or not. And I was thinking not! (see my "Penny and Candi update" in everything else greyhound - I was panicking! But the girls have settled into each other now. Candi gets put in her place now (of course they are always muzzled when playing outside). Now I am sure that everything will be ok - it just takes time. I would not close Lovie's door - that may make her go further into her shell. Just keep a close watch on them as they interact, just to be sure they work it out ok. Lovie might want to eat in her crate - a lot of greys do. Keep us updated! And.. pictures please!!

Guest PhillyPups

First of all, congrats on Chad. It sounds to me that Chad is a goofy goober boy, and Lovie is a bit withdrawn. She will put him in her place in time. If Chad is like my goober boy, DonnieDude, he won't even notice. :P

One thing I do, and I feed all of mine in the kitchen (which is not large) is to be in constant attention at meal times. All 5 eat at different speeds. I do not allow one to go to another ones bowl. As soon as one finishes, they go outside, and stay there till they are all done.

They are both new to each other, give them time.

I would leave the crate door open for Lovie for her comfort zone, she can go in at will when she needs to.

Again, congrats on your addition. They are new to each other, give them time.

I'd just leave them to figure things out. If she's more comfortable now lying in her crate with the door open, I'd let her. Once she's sure of him, she'll come out. They have to adjust to one another just the way they have to adjust to us. If he gets too pushy she may, with time, let him know about it. Right now, since there is no growling or snarkiness going on, I'd just let them get used to each other at their own pace. The only time I step in is if one dog is being aggressive to another who won't stand up for themselves. It sounds like things are going well.

As far as eating, if she's uncomfortable with him around and he tries to get her food, you can feed her in her crate. She's used to that from the track and should eat well whether he's in the room or not in there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee