Mystery Ailment

I sure would appreciate any thoughts, input from g-ters. Sam is hypothyroid and has been on thyrozine now for almost a year and has a good thyroid level. He has nail problems and is on the fish oil, niacinamide for that as well. Over the last two months he has less energy, and has lost 4 lbs altho he is eating his usual diet without any problem. He is always enthused to go for rides and for walks but poops out early on. He used to run and prance in the house but now just walks where he once ran. He only runs if he thinks a ride is involved. He has just had a physical with blood panel and everything is beautifully normal. The vet did comment yesterday and again today that his urine which we brought in for analysis, really smelled bad but no bacteria or crystals. He put Sam on clavimox for 10 days to see if any improvement. He has a trachea irritation which they feel is probably allergy. He eats 1 3/4 cups of Iams twice a day with a spoon of wellness canned in the am and part of a scrambled egg with a little cheese in the pm. If there is no improvement with the clavimox then the vet said might do an absorption study. Sam turns 8 in May and has been with us since Aug. 04.

We are just stumped, and concerned and would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about Sam.

Well, you did all the right things so far. If the bloodwork is good, and his thyroid levels, fine, then, it very well could be a bladder or kidney infection. If you've ever had either, you know they make you fell pretty badly!

I'd see what the Clavamox does, and go from there. How are his teeth? Sometimes, like my Staggerlee, who has gingivitis, the teeth can cause lethargy and pain.

That is about all I can offer for now. It is a take it day by day, and wait and see type of thing for Sam, I think.

Good luck, and sending lots of love, hugs and prayers! Dee and The Five

Yes, get the vet to keep a close eye on bladder and kidney function. Once the antibiotic is finished I'd take a free clean catch of his morning urine to the vet and ask for another basic blood test for the Creatinine/BUN levels etc. You could print out the specific Grey bloodwork paramaters (in links on this site) to help your vet. Good luck... hope the antibiotic catches it early.

Some of what you describe raises a flag for me. You may want to ask your vet how they feel about testing for Cushings.

On the UA, do you know if your vet had a culture done?

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Some of what you describe raises a flag for me. You may want to ask your vet how they feel about testing for Cushings.

Yes, he did. I guess one thing that is really concerning me was his comment both yesterday and today how bad the urine smelled. And I am sure, being a vet, he has smelled his share of bad! At this point he seems really puzzled too. I am just hoping the meds take care of whatever it is.

Meant to add would a possibility of cushings show up with the blood panel that was done or would it have to be a different test?

Yes, he did. I guess one thing that is really concerning me was his comment both yesterday and today how bad the urine smelled. And I am sure, being a vet, he has smelled his share of bad! At this point he seems really puzzled too. I am just hoping the meds take care of whatever it is.

Meant to add would a possibility of cushings show up with the blood panel that was done or would it have to be a different test?

No, Cushings is tested seperately, and the test is not cheap. That's why I would ask the vet what their thoughts would be.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless