Simon

ElizabethGPAPS

Simon's story is not a sad one. After a short and unimpressive racing career at the well-regarded Multnomah Greyhound Park in Oregon, he retired at 2 years old and was adopted straight from the track into my home where he remained his entire life. He lived to a grand old age and, up until a couple of weeks ago, was getting around pretty well (if rather slowly and carefully). He enjoyed his reign as King Simon of Greytalk for almost 9 months - surely putting to rest any rumors of a "Suzy Awards curse". Heck, for a while there I thought he just might be the first back-to-back winner. But old age is no one's friend, and Simon's tired old body finally wore out. He couldn't get up on his own on Saturday and when it became obvious that he wasn't going to rally, we made that trip this morning to find his rainbow bridge. He went quietly and quickly, with a last great inhale and a sigh that sounded to me like sweet surrender. Simon fought the good fight, though, and for the most part kicked that hound-gobbling Father Time's a$$ pretty well.

Simon's life was mostly uneventful but always full of new faces, both of the human and pointy-snouted kind. He was the one that started my odyssey into Greyhound adoption, first as a volunteer and then as the director of the group for the past 11 or so years. Simon let me know pretty early on that he wasn't the best choice as an "assistant dog" to do home visits with (Savannah was much more outgoing and effervescent, and much less likely to pee in people's living rooms) but he was a meet 'n' greet pro, not to mention a role model extraordinaire for the 250 or so foster dogs that came and went over the course of the past 12 years. He got along with every one of them, with never an altercation. The gentle brood mamas were his favorite, and the young hooligans simply didn't exist in his eyes. He employed the same "If I don't look at it, I don't have to deal with it" technique with cats - ignoring the unpleasant served him well as a life philosophy. He was always a calm dog...his nicknames included "Vanilla Bob" for his very middle-of-the-road personality.

Simon's greatest joys in life were breakfast time, dinner time and car rides. These past few months I'd been taking him to work with me most days so I could keep an eye on him...as he grew more and more frail he would find the oddest predicaments to get into (such as sliding backwards off his dog bed and getting stuck for who knows how long). Going to work meant twice-daily car rides which he relished. Every morning we'd go out to the car and he would alternate touching his nose to the hatchback and then looking at me pointedly. He did the same with his food dish when mealtimes were close - subtlety was not something he believed in.

I will remember Simon for his adaptable nature, peaceful spirit and gentle soul. He was a good boy.

(It's weird - even as I type this I keep reflexively starting to jump up to go check on him. I guess that'll take some getting used to). A few photos:

Last week - Car ride!

SimonCar.jpg?t=1269284950

Yesterday, stopping to lean in a doorway to rest after using all his strength to walk the 20 feet from the kitchen. He was just so tired. sad.gif The scar on his face is from a carnassial tooth that abcessed and had to be extracted about 5 months ago. I really wasn't sure he'd make it through that one, but he did.

Simon010.jpg?t=1269285003

Happier times - his coronation photo as King of Greytalk, last summer. The blanket has been well-used and will continue to be so, but his crown will go with his collars into my memory box. KingSimon025-1.jpg?t=1269285092

Thank you for reading about my special little man. heart.gif

Edited by ElizabethGPAPS

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a greyt life to celebrate. Thank you for sharing him with us and I am sorry for his passing.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh Elizabeth, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a grand old man he was and quite the handsome King. Rest well Simon, you've earned it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When I saw the title "Simon," I hoped it was some other Simon. I'm so sorry, Elizabeth, but glad he went peacefully. He had a really wonderful life with you. Vanilla is my favorite flavor! And he made a handsome, noble King.

flowers_white.gifflowers_white.gifflowers_white.gif

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest dramaqueen

Elizabeth--accept my condolences on your loss. Think of all the good times you've had together & a smile will cross your face. You certainly loved & cared for him & for that he was truly grateful & lived a long & happy life. He was a very busy good boy & I'm sure was an example for his breed. He will live forever in your heart.

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry he had to leave.

What a good boy, and what a good life he had with you!

Godspeed, unforgettable Simon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a special old man ~ and wonderful friend he has been to you!

:bighug:candle

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm so sorry for your loss. Simon was a beautiful boy & it sounds like he had the life he deserved - very well loved. Godspeed King Simon - it was Faolin's honor to be one of your subjects. flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Vanilla is just as sweet as any other flavor. Simon had a good, long life with you. I am sorry to read of his passing.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds