Osteo, Not Good News Post 27

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jettcricket

I'm so sorry to hear about her diagnosis. My first greyhound Chance was also diagnosed with osteo at the same age. I totally respect your family's decision to keep her comfortable. We opted for amputation and personnely I would never do it again. The poor boy suffered from phantom pain and never really adjusted to walking on 3 legs. His surgery was in April and we lost him in June of the same year. A few days shy of his 5th birthday. To this day I still carry the guilt of what we put that poor boy thru. sad.gif

Hugs to you, your Mom and BeBe - she is beautiful. grouphug.gif

So not fair....cancer sucks.

I'm so sorry. FWIW, in the research I did following Cosmo's diagnosis with osteo, I learned that the younger they are the more aggressive the disease tends to be. So pain management is probably the right way to go. You both are in my thoughts. It is a sh*tty, sh*tty disease.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Thank You all for your support. I know this is the right decision for BeBe, if it were for me, she'd have all the surgeries in the world, but she's not designed for that. Shes a needy one, that constantly wants to be with mommy or see what this person is doing. It's amazing how the other dogs know something isn't right. Lizzie stands to BeBe's left, seemingly "on guard" so that nothing happens... Amazing. Here is BeBe's picture of the day today... On guard, in her chair that faces straight out the front window, so she can "scare" the people away from "our" house that are working across the street :lol

23822_778236281141_5002647_45017741_4942822_n.jpg

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest budsmom

I am so terribly sorry to hear this. Only you know what is best for your baby and no one should ever pass judgement on you for doing what you know to be best. I hope you have a lot of quality, pain free time left with her, she's a beautiful girl. Your family is in my thoughts.

I am so terribly sorry to hear this. Only you know what is best for your baby and no one should ever pass judgement on you for doing what you know to be best. I hope you have a lot of quality, pain free time left with her, she's a beautiful girl. Your family is in my thoughts.

Agreed. These words say it all.....

Truly sorry :(

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Kim, I am so sorry, you are doing the right thing, every dog is different with different needs, keep her happy and spoiled, hugs to you and your mom.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Heehoo

Kim I support you 100%...I do not do the amputation/chemo route. I kept Gogh comfortable for a month after his diagnosis & we did fine. It is very difficult to watch them hurt, and so I kept him on meds that kept him comfortable. I didn't invite anyone over, it was always just me & him. Pat/Greytexplorer came to town for my birthday & stayed a day and half & then she went on to her sisters. That was all the visitors I had. He was already a spooky pup, so visitors would have made him uncomfortable. 

Take lots of pictures, write a journal, do a lot of petting, kissing, hugging & make memories. We're here you know.....:beatheart

I'm so very sorry you have to go through this with your baby girl. :cry1 Remember, she doesn't know she's sick. Good pain mngt. is critical so she's as comfortable as possible. Love that pic of the scary girl in the big chair. :wub: What a precious soul she is. Cherish every moment with her. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest VaGreymom

I am so very sorry. I went through this in December with my sweet Tawny. I have her sister Cheyenne, and they really never bonded prior to Tawny being sick, but they know, cause Cheyenne stayed by her side until she left us. They do know, and I think they know before we do..

Sending you many hugs, and I am really very sorry.