Osteo, Not Good News Post 27

For those of you who have sent Xrays to OSU do you know (1) the cost and (2) how to contact Dr. C? Our vet is unsure if it's osteo or not but it doesn't appear to be good news for BeBe... I'm trying not to cry yet, because it's my moms baby girl, we've only had her about 16 months. Thank You

Kim

17078_744195055031_5002647_43927553_4826308_n.jpg

Edited by StridersSis

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couto.1@osu.edu

his team: greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

I don't think there's any charge.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No help here, just want to send good thoughts and prayers for your sweet baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hoping and praying that it turns out to be nothing.

Leslie

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Smiley

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I know how scary this is and am sending you and your mom a big, big hug. That's the correct email and there is not a charge for an email or I believe phone consult. I just sent over Peanut's x-rays for a second opinion, but haven't heard back yet. He usually emails very early in the morning. When we went through osteo with Smiley we just did a very quick email consult and then met with him in person. I do know that others have had more lengthy telephone conversations if an appt. at OSU is not possible. I'll be keeping your mom's baby in my thoughts!

couto.1@osu.edu

his team: greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

I don't think there's any charge.

Thank You, we (not so much me I have a stomach bug and paper due tomorrow, law school waits for no one) go pick her up in an hour and our vet put the xrays on a disc. We will email him tonight.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts. Leslie, we already talked to Michelle and let her know.

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest Energy11

Yes, all consults are free with OSU. They can tell you what is what for sure.

My DD is an attorney! I remember when she was in law school! Sending lots of love and prayers! Dee and The Five

Here are the xrays, its in the L. Look at the lower bone of the knee, Here are the R and L leg images so you guys can see...

med_gallery_1070_3083_621137.jpg???t=1787323med_gallery_1070_3083_1049163.jpg

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Greytluv

I see what you are referering to as well. If ANYONE can tell you what is what, Dr. Couto and OSU can!

I'm not seeing any difference. Can you point it out to me?

:candle for BeBe

Oh no Kim! Dr C will know for sure.....hoping it's an old injury or something...how old is Bebe? Has she just started limping?

Dana- She started limping about 1.5-2 weeks ago, and we thought she just injured herself in the yard. Now she's full fledged hopping around on 3 legs :( Shes 4 turning 5 in 2 weeks....

Guest trevdog

Yikes! Do you know her track history? Did the vet rule out ligament/tendon damage and such? It's a little hard to tell in the slides whether it's the bone, but it does look like the area has something going on.

I know Dr. Couto will be in town tomorrow (I don't know about today). I will be seeing him at Wednesday's Greyhound Clinic. No special worries, just a checkup for my old girls. Here is the standard information that I give out about contacting the OSU group:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Medicine

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Dr. Urie is from the United States. All of the other vets are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for Dr. Urie or one of the vet techs to "translate".

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is the same. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Jane

p.s. I see what you are referring to in the xray -- hopefully it is minor and treatable. Let us know when you hear back from Dr. C. My thoughts and prayers are with you and BeBe.