Bald Bottom

Guest fujiapple402

Guest fujiapple402

Does any one elses greys bottom hair rub off pretty easily? every where else his hair is fine except for his rump, I'm wondering if every time he lays down on the couch it rubs it off? I'm hoping its not the start of mange :(

More like the start of spring! He's probably shedding it out.

Lots of greys have bald butts. It's a greyhound feature. Not mange, not any sort of pathology, just greyhoundness. Not all greyhounds have bald butts, but it's very common and often somewhat seasonal -- more or less fuzzy in winter, nekkid in summer. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyandSioux

Crate baldness sometimes comes from laying in the crate too long will rub the hair off. Most people think it is cute but it is nothing to really be concerned about unless it gets sores on it. Some dogs never get hair on their butts.

I was just starting to think Kevin's bald fanny was filling in...I'm glad no one could see me examining it!!! It was short lived, however; he's got a little shed action going on and now it's as naked as it was the day I bought him home.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea does a full mooning of everyone behind her when she walks away now. :blush She's currently extremely bald on her backside. We plan to start melatonin, but are waiting until after she's healed from her upcoming surgery.

eta - Ady Bea is never crated. She's also bald on her tummy and the underside of her neck. We love her just as she is. :)

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Vegas has a bald bum most of the year it takes him most of the winter to grow it back and it falls out every spring.... it has nothing to do with "crate baldness" he actually oesnt sleep in a crate anymore, its genetic and if there are no sores i wouldnt worry about it.

Guest SoulsMom

Lots of greys have bald butts. It's a greyhound feature. Not mange, not any sort of pathology, just greyhoundness. Not all greyhounds have bald butts, but it's very common and often somewhat seasonal -- more or less fuzzy in winter, nekkid in summer. :)

YUP :) Soul has a bald bum and belly. He gets a little 'fuzzier' in the winter, the loses it in the summer.

Guest mountain4greys

YUP :) Soul has a bald bum and belly. He gets a little 'fuzzier' in the winter, the loses it in the summer.

Same here with a few of my hounds.

I don't think it comes from the crate, because if you ever watch a hound sleep in the crate, they aren't really touching that area at all. They would be bald on the side of their legs if it was from the crate.

Who's got a problem with bald butts? :P

sept10002.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Call me weird but I love Toby's bald belly and butt and have no desire for him to grow hair there! It's just him! Robin has a completely fur covered belly and butt.

slumber004.jpg

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France