Overweight Hypothyroid Dog

Guest FreddyGirl

Guest FreddyGirl

Thanks for clarifying Batmom. Off to feed the pack at 5. Poor Freddy, she would have appreciated eating more, most probably, LOL.

I keep thinking about this. I just wonder if it could be related somehow to the change in thyroid meds. I don't remember how long ago you changed her protocol to the lower dose, but if some of us have experienced having to increase the food level after our dogs have gone on Soloxine it's worth a thought that decreasing her dosage could have an effect on her metabolism.

I'm not saying decrease her food because you effectively have done that by changing her food to a lower calorie/fat content.

Do you plan to have her thyroid levels checked again? I think that might be what I would do after she has been on the new regimen for long enough. These dogs can react so differently to thyroid and occasionally there will be one who will gain weight when the thyroid level is too low.

I hope it just turns out to be something with an easy fix.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest FreddyGirl

Yes, we go back in 2 months to check levels again. this time, I will send to Hemopet and Dr. dodds to evaluate directly. Might cost me more, but I will feel more comfortable doing this for a number of reasons.

Guest lovemyhounds2

Greyhounds are such goofy dogs! Most breeds will gain weight without increasing food consumption; that's usually one of the big indicators of hypothyroidism. With greys, many people I've talked to (and my own) don't gain, they lose. There are not a whole lot of scientific journals that cover greyhounds specifically for this, but a few have hinted at the same thing. When we increase Ty's dose by 0.1mg at a time (only had to do that so far 2x in 4yrs) he does increase his appetite, and if I give him more food, he does gain. I do monthly (or more often if needed) weight checks with the goal to keep him at a steady weight at all times. Harder during the summer because he likes to run it off :)