Adams Flea And Tick Mist

Guest HersheysMom

Guest Energy11

I looked at my bottle but I can tell if it has IGR or not. What am I looking for and should I return mine if I bought the wrong kind? unsure.gif

Bottle will say with IGR on it. I haven't used this product, and I'd return it if you have it. Best to stay with the tried and true, good ole, Adams Flea and Tick Mist!

I looked at my bottle but I can tell if it has IGR or not. What am I looking for and should I return mine if I bought the wrong kind? unsure.gif

Bottle will say with IGR on it. I haven't used this product, and I'd return it if you have it. Best to stay with the tried and true, good ole, Adams Flea and Tick Mist!

well mine has no mention of the dreaded IGR so I guess I'm good! Now a seemingly stupid question. I'm going to spray/rub Norm down tomorrow. But I also want to spray him with pretty smelling stuff so when he goes to work with me on Tues he wont smell quite as "doggy". (Bath really didnt do it... <_< ) Can I spray both same day? Which first? Thanks!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Houndie

Does the Adams kill fleas and ticks once they are on the pup, or does it act as more of a repellant? Does it work for mosquitos, too? We have only used K9 Advantix in the past with success, but I'm interested in trying the Adams, if it does the job.

Adams kills AND repells fleas and ticks! :-))

Get the water-based, with NO IGR. That is Insect Growth Inhibitor. I, personally, don't think it is necessary. I just use the PLAIN OLD ADAMS Flea and Tick Mist (water based :-)) Good Stuff!

Thanks! Our Walmart carries the water based, and I bought a bottle today. Look out fleas and ticks! :lol

Guest Energy11

eek.gif

Does the Adams kill fleas and ticks once they are on the pup, or does it act as more of a repellant? Does it work for mosquitos, too? We have only used K9 Advantix in the past with success, but I'm interested in trying the Adams, if it does the job.

Adams kills AND repells fleas and ticks! :-))

Get the water-based, with NO IGR. That is Insect Growth Inhibitor. I, personally, don't think it is necessary. I just use the PLAIN OLD ADAMS Flea and Tick Mist (water based :-)) Good Stuff!

Thanks! Our Walmart carries the water based, and I bought a bottle today. Look out fleas and ticks! lol.gif

Yeah, "Wally World" is good for a FEW items! God, I hate that place! I will NOT go in there! I send DH! Seriously! The place gets me nervous!

WATCH OUT FLEAS AND TICKS ... WE are on the warpath!!!!!!!wink.gif

Guest KungPaoKat

Just saw this thread -- good timing too since I *just* bought a bottle of Adam's at Walmart today. I need to check to make sure it's the right kind before I use it! Thanks!

For those that use the Adams Flea & Tick Mist...do you use Frontline or any other preventative as well? I am seriously considering do the Adams with the baby powder...figure it can't hurt to try and much cheaper than Frontline! Thanks.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Energy11

Nope! We use nothing but the Adams here. No topicals, etc. Just our Iverheart Max heartworm preventative), and the Adams. NO fleas here last year, and, the FEW ticks we had, didn't last long. We think the ticks were "imported" in the straw we bought for our front turnout pen.

I have already started to "Adams" mine, with the unseasonably high tempsmad.gif we had last week, and will get this week.

Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Guest TeddysMom

Last summer I did use the Frontline on My pyrs but I also sprayed the fur on their legs, feet and underside with the Adams once a week. It didn't seem to have any adverse effects. This weekend is Adams spray all the dogs weekend around here, it is getting warm.

Guest kydie

the Vet here has sold adams for years, never had any issue with it, Burt's Bees sells an all nautral spray for people and pups, and I have not had any problems with it either, at Walmart :)

Ok, just wanted to make sure that if I use the mist that I won't need something else. I have always used Frontline Plus and want to get something on the dogs before I head to Florida...I really am not sure about the flea situation in the Pensacola area. Does the mist ward off mosquitoes? Or will the dogs be fine as they are on heartworm meds (interceptor)?

Guest Energy11

I only use Adams on mine, and I am in the woods in the N. Georgia Mountains. I haven't had the need for anything else (topicals). I have five greys, and the 32 oz spray bottles last a WHILE! ***I do use it for the occassional bee, wasp, or fly outside, too. It works on all of those as well.

Yes, it does ward of mosquitos, but ALWAYS use heartworm preventative, especially in Florida. I use the Adams AND heartworm preventative, year round here.

Good Luck!! !

Edited by Energy11

Ok, so none of your pups has brought fleas into your house since you have been using Adams? I just can't believe how much cheaper it is than frontline or advantage...do you also use it weekly? I would use it on my cat as well, but just wanted to check.

Also, has anyone used the one with the IGR in it? That is all I see @ Petco/Petsmart, and supposedly there aren't any Wal-Marts around here that carry it. I am wondering if Pet Supplies Plus has it or Meijer or even Menards (they carry some pet supplies including frontline plus. Thanks.

Edited by kolarik1

Guest Energy11

NO fleas at ALL here, last spring/summer. We are not in Florida anymore, but, North Georgia gets hott, too :-(

No fleas in Florida. No fleas here. Can't say it is perfect for everyone, but, it surely works for us!

We have never used the type with IGR. I'd rather stick to the tried and true formula.

Edited by Energy11

Guest Energy11

I've been looking up the safety of IGR and it's stated as being extremely safe. I'll provide some links in a bit.

Thanks for doing this! I am just the type, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it ...", so I use the old formula, BUT, if the IGR is better and SAFE, why not?

I've been looking up the safety of IGR and it's stated as being extremely safe. I'll provide some links in a bit.

Thanks for doing this! I am just the type, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it ...", so I use the old formula, BUT, if the IGR is better and SAFE, why not?

And not to mention it is much easier to find! It seems like everyone has the IGR formula!

Guest HersheysMom

Ours came in the mail the other day. Of course, now the temps are back down in the 30's....gotta love MA! But, I'm prepared!

Guest eaglflyt

From the Dr. Foster & Smith pet education area: See the Insect Growth Regulators and Development Inhibitors section

*Insect growth regulators & development inhibitors

Insect growth regulators (IGRs) and insect development inhibitors (IDIs) are relatively new components of flea and tick products. Insect growth regulators include methoprene (Precor), fenoxycarb, and pyriproxyfen (Nylar). Insect growth inhibitors include lufenuron and diflubenzuron. Products containing IGRs and IDIs include Program, Sentinel, Bio Spot, Adams Flea and Tick Spray, Preventic Plus Flea and Tick Collar, and Frontline Plus.

Mode of Action: IGRs and IDIs differ from traditional flea product ingredients in that their main activity is against the immature forms of the flea. The IGRs mimic the juvenile growth hormone of fleas. The juvenile growth hormone is what keeps the fleas from developing into more mature forms. When the levels of juvenile growth hormone decrease, the larva form matures. The IGRs keep this development from occurring and the immature forms of the flea fail to molt and death occurs.

The IDIs inhibit the synthesis of a substance called chitin. Chitin is necessary for the formation of the hard outside skin (cuticle) of the flea. No chitin, no adult flea.

Use: Note that the IGRs and IDIs do not kill the adult fleas, so to be most effective, they should be used along with a product that does kill the adults (adulticide). If there is little risk of flea infestation, the IGRs and IDIs may be enough to prevent a flea infestation. However, if flea problems already exist, or the risk is high, it is best to also use an adulticide.

Many IGRs and IDIs are used in the environment as ingredients in foggers and sprays. They are also applied topically to cats and dogs, given orally, or by injection.

Remember, at this point there are no effective IGRs or IDIs for ticks.

Safety: Because IGRs and IDIs mimic insect hormones or alter a unique insect process (the making of chitin, which mammals do not make), they are extremely safe.*

ttp://www.petandkennelsupply.com/Flea-and-Tick-c1/ See info. on IGR and Adams Flea & Tick Mist with IGR

It's also listed as a chemical alternative (IGR): Alternatve to Chemicals

There are several other references to the safety of IGR online. It might be wise if we emailed Dr. Couto, or one of his staff, just to be extra sure.

From the Dr. Foster & Smith pet education area: See the Insect Growth Regulators and Development Inhibitors section

*Insect growth regulators & development inhibitors

Insect growth regulators (IGRs) and insect development inhibitors (IDIs) are relatively new components of flea and tick products. Insect growth regulators include methoprene (Precor), fenoxycarb, and pyriproxyfen (Nylar). Insect growth inhibitors include lufenuron and diflubenzuron. Products containing IGRs and IDIs include Program, Sentinel, Bio Spot, Adams Flea and Tick Spray, Preventic Plus Flea and Tick Collar, and Frontline Plus.

Mode of Action: IGRs and IDIs differ from traditional flea product ingredients in that their main activity is against the immature forms of the flea. The IGRs mimic the juvenile growth hormone of fleas. The juvenile growth hormone is what keeps the fleas from developing into more mature forms. When the levels of juvenile growth hormone decrease, the larva form matures. The IGRs keep this development from occurring and the immature forms of the flea fail to molt and death occurs.

The IDIs inhibit the synthesis of a substance called chitin. Chitin is necessary for the formation of the hard outside skin (cuticle) of the flea. No chitin, no adult flea.

Use: Note that the IGRs and IDIs do not kill the adult fleas, so to be most effective, they should be used along with a product that does kill the adults (adulticide). If there is little risk of flea infestation, the IGRs and IDIs may be enough to prevent a flea infestation. However, if flea problems already exist, or the risk is high, it is best to also use an adulticide.

Many IGRs and IDIs are used in the environment as ingredients in foggers and sprays. They are also applied topically to cats and dogs, given orally, or by injection.

Remember, at this point there are no effective IGRs or IDIs for ticks.

Safety: Because IGRs and IDIs mimic insect hormones or alter a unique insect process (the making of chitin, which mammals do not make), they are extremely safe.*

ttp://www.petandkennelsupply.com/Flea-and-Tick-c1/ See info. on IGR and Adams Flea & Tick Mist with IGR

It's also listed as a chemical alternative (IGR): Alternatve to Chemicals

There are several other references to the safety of IGR online. It might be wise if we emailed Dr. Couto, or one of his staff, just to be extra sure.

I know I have used Frontline Plus in the past with no side effects from the pups...and this stuff is supposedly in there.

Guest Energy11

I just got the water based @ my WalMart, 16 oz for about $10. I was so excited to see they had it there!

That is good to know (*the water-based is there at Wally World)! I don't go there ... too much stress ... hate the place, but DH will! :-)) Thanks for the info!