Can't Take The "heat"

It's been beautiful the past few days so during the day I've been leaving the back door propped open so that the dogs can come and go to the back yard as they please. It's 60 and sunny today and one of our newbies, Reggie, won't stop panting. He's not panting hard, but it's clear he feels too warm. He's got a full bowl of cold water at his disposal, although he's not drinking a lot. I know he's not overdoing it in the yard. Trust me; since retirement this dog's top speed is "mosey". :rolleyes:

Reggie did all his racing in Texas and Florida. I don't know how he managed. He's fine, but seriously, at 60 degrees he shouldn't feel this warm, right? We have a/c but I hate to think how he'll feel in July.

I was just wondering if anyone else has a dog who is seriously averse to warmer weather? This is sorta ridiculous. How do you manage?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Jack is like that. He actually looks just like your Morgan (pale fawn) and he gets hot as soon as 60+ degrees happens. We soak him down with a wet cloth around his head, neck, belly, etc. just to try make him feel more comfortable. The cloth is not dripping wet but is moist.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The warm weather seems hardest on them when it first comes on -- Beth got overheated very easily last spring, but less so in the summer. Just like people, they need a chance to acclimate to the change in temperatures. Just let Reggie take it easy and I bet by June he won't even notice 60 degrees. I do notice my girl gets less energetic about 70-75, though.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Lenny doesn't like the heat at all. He got here June 2nd just before the severe heat hit and barely went out at all.

We're already in the high 80's and I have to either have the swamp or the ac on because it's obvious he's already too warm

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Wow! Reggie and I have A LOT in common! I HATE anything above 60, and I am very verbal about it, too! mad.gif

But, really, all mine have wanted to do is be outside! When they walk, they seem to get hot easily, especially Cari. I, too, feel, like this "instant summer in a glass," as I call it, doesn't give them or us, time to acclimate to the warmer weather, after it being sooo cold so long.

Hopefully, Reggie, AND I, will get used to this soon! lol.gif

Best to keep him as cool and comfortable as possible. Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Guest sheila

I agree that over time the hounds will acclimate to the temps to some degree over time. With mine there is a period of adjustment because I keep my house at 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer. There is always some panting in early summer, and some shivering in early winter, but they learn to adapt.

Yes, Sagan is like that. It's been in the low 60s the last few days, and he only needs to leap forward a couple of times and he's panting for 45 minutes :rolleyes: It really does seem to be even worse in the spring - after a winter with temps in the 20s they're just not used to it. And I'm the same - when it first hits 75 degrees I can't take it, but eventually my body adjusts.

I give the hounds ice cubes to cool them down and that seems to do the trick. A damp, cold cloth works really well too, but I usually don't use that until summer. And I make sure to dry them off afterwards. :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MnMDogs

Morky is exactly the same way and he raced in FL too. I think he curses the day we moved to California! We just walk him when the sun is down in the summer, and make sure it's nice and cool for him in the house :) If we walk in 60 degree weather he pants forever afterward!

Guest happygrey

It's funny, I was thinking this same thing yesterday when I took Tatam for a 45-1 hr walk at a local park yesterday. He was panting as though he'd run a marathon. Sure, it was warm compared to the temps we've had the last few months, but it wasn't even 70 degrees! :lol

I guess I'm glad we've got central a/c for when summer comes.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I read this post yesterday and I was thinking that my dogs don't do that. Well that came to end last night when I got home. It was in the high 80's yesterday so the house was a bit stuff but not hot by any means. Well you should have seen Spencer and Buzz panting their faces off! I turned on the overhead fan and they both laid under it like they were dying. I laugh because it does take them a while to get used to the heat when it comes. And it comes with a vengence in Phoenix! So they have to acclimate again.

Guest Energy11

Yep... too much heat, too soon, and none of us have time to acclimate! I hate this sooo much, so do the puppers! angryfire.gif

In the "old days," the seasons came on GRADUALLY, not "instantly!"

Shortly after I got Goldie I took him to the park. It was probably in the 70's with a slight breeze-not hot all. He overheated- I couldn't tell how bad -I could just see he was uncomfrotable and panting a lot so I immediately took him home. As soon as I got him home I took his temp just to make sure he was alright and it was 107.4!!!!!!!!!!!jaw.gifomg.gifyikes.gif I figured there was no time for transport to vet-cellular damage occurs at 108- and I put him in tub immediately and put tons of cold water on him and monitored his temp as it went down and he recovered quickly and without incident-thank you Jesus!. From that point on though I ALWAYS made sure he was kept COOL. To think they could die so easily. wow. Even now in the hot summer I always leave the hounds with 2 ac's going -1 in use and 1 on as a back-up in case the first one one fails. I never once let him get even warm after that-always using cooler sheets etc. if I'd take him out and even hosing him down before walks. I wasn't going to take ANY chances after that. I don't know if it was just something with him or whether it was just a fluke but I wasn't going to take any chances. There was absolutely no reason he should have overheated like that. It wasn't even hot out. Now anytime my houndies look a little warm I take their temp and none of them have been past 103 when I checked.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. Evidently it isn't the overall temps that are bothering Reggie. I watched him today and it turns out he's just hanging out in direct sunlight baking his little cranium cadoo . He didn't seem to be as bothered today. I guess he figured out he had to get out of the sun every now and again. :lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest looneygabe

Does anyone out there know anything about Swamp Coolers while traveling? We can't stop and get out to eat because it is too hot to leave the greys in the van. Or does anyone have any suggestions on this subject? It is fine while driving but I just can't leave the van running while you get out and leave the dogs in there. Don't care if someone drives off in the old van while it is running, just don't want them to take my babies with them.

Help anyone?