Frankie Troubles...

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank has a vet appointment next Weds. It was supposed to just be routine stuff, a thyroid recheck and a well visit... but then I used some of his pee to do my urinalysis lab for school. We found some blood and protein in his urine, as well as some crystals (I think calcium oxylate but I am not 100% on that) So. I am going to need to get his urine cultured to see what's up, he will be having a cystocentesis which he's never had, poor kid. Also I am going to have his vet take a look at his hind end reflexes, because he did not do so well when we did a neurological exam on him, also in class! He *seems* fine although he does occasionally shuffle a little and on long walks, he'll start to drag his rt. rear foot a little. He's ten; he's my big baby boy; he is such an important part of this family. I just want him to be OK; I know he's getting older and that's hard enough without worrying about these new issues. :(

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest SusanP

I wonder if a UTI could cause enough discomfort to affect walking? Our Wizard, almost 10, has recently been to the vet repeatedly for walking issues (occasional stumbling, slowing on walks) and very frequent potty accidents indoors, peeing more frequently, restlessness. In his case, no UTI, but an xray finally revealed that severe intestinal gas was the problem. Metranidozole and probiotics have ended all of the above. I'm hoping Frankie's problem is equally easy to solve and glad you spotted trouble early on. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you guys!

Guest barkdogs

If Frank is up there in years, he could have some lumbosacral issues or a bit of degenerative disc disease. I had wonderful results with acupuncture--I don't know where you live, but if you are near Philadelphia PA, there is a wonderful Dr. at Queen Village Animal Hospital and also at U. Penn who has helped a number of my old dogs. My old Leo had what sounds like very similar symptoms and I think she added a good year of quality to his life. Her name is Dr. Fuoco.

Wherever you are, maybe there is a practitioner? as far as I know (I could be wrong) qualified animal acupuncturist are all vets, so they are highly qualified.

Best of luck to Frank.

Guest kydie
:hope for your boy! Sure you worry, I have an 12 year old non-grey, and everyday, I watch for any slight change in her, it's though watching them get older, we love them soooooooo much

Guest FullMetalFrank

I tend to think his hind end issues are old-age related, maybe a little arthritis creeping in or could be early LS. He is totally asymptomatic for a UTI; the only reason we have for suspecting anything was the urinalysis I did on him, so I am glad that if there is anything going on there, we're finding it really early. It is the calcium oxylate crystals from LuvAPuppy's post that we saw.

I get real sentimental about my big boy doggy; he and I have been down a long road together and frankly (pun intended!) I don't know how I am going to cope when he is gone. We had a grief counseling segment in school with a really great guest speaker and a lot of what she was talking about got me pretty weepy. It happens to all of us; we do the best we can for these guys but Father Time is relentless and eventually he will take them. Frankie is "only ten", I need to remind myself... There is a GOOD chance he will be with us for a great few more years. These are little issues... :blush