Thyroid And Hair Growth

Passion's been on thyroid med's since May or June

I knew she'd grow back her butt hair but she's getting spots (circles) of dark hair on her belly. I thought it was a bruise the first time I saw it but it's hair :lol

She also is getting fuzzy blush.gif

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Passion's been on thyroid med's since May or June

I knew she'd grow back her butt hair but she's getting spots (circles) of dark hair on her belly. I thought it was a bruise the first time I saw it but it's hair :lol

She also is getting fuzzy blush.gif

I am not sure the Thyroid meds have anything to do with it, but you've met Alan, he's very fuzzy! He's been on thyroid meds for 4 years now.

We always get the question "Is he a German Shepard mix?" :rolleyes:

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

I read someone else comment on their pup being fuzzy from the med's so that's why I figured it was from that

Alan blush.gif

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I read someone else comment on their pup being fuzzy from the med's so that's why I figured it was from that

Alan blush.gif

oops, I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything...it very well could be! There would be no other explanation for Alan's extreme fuzziness, except that we keep him locked up outside all year long (just kiddin') :P

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Larry is on thyroid medication, and he's the fuzziest greyhound I have ever personally seen.

Oh and thank you for the Wilbur pictures. Got them the other day

I'm going to frame them :)

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Tipper has been on thyroid meds just since last fall, and has grown fur in places that never knew fur before in all his eleven and a half years. He's downright woolly now. :lol Michele said the same thing happened to Gobi when he started the meds.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Lack of hair or greyhound pattern baldness *can* be caused by low thyroid. Thus, replacing the thyroid causes the hair to grow back. Used to be that having a greyhound with a bald butt was an automatic prescription for meds. Now they really pay more attention to test results.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Adrianne

Larry is on thyroid medication, and he's the fuzziest greyhound I have ever personally seen.

Oh and thank you for the Wilbur pictures. Got them the other day

I'm going to frame them smile.gif

smile.gif You're so welcome. It was my pleasure; I love sharing photos of my Wilbur and Larry. Thank You.

Carl has been on Soloxine since 11.2008, he was super bald before that. He had some fur come after starting the Soloxine, but nothing real dramatic until I started giving him Melatonin. Now he's a Sasquatch, for him!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Okay, maybe I shouldn't even go here but (and I NEVER DID THIS OR EVEN CONSIDERED IT) there are dog breeders that will put their show dogs, routinely, on thyroid meds to grow coat. Sad, isn't it. Well, it seemed to work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lovemyhounds2

Hahaha! Ours looks like he's going through puberty, hair in places he hasn't had it for a long time (on thyroid meds too). Season doesn't seem to affect it. He even has big dark spots under his doggie armpits. It makes me giggle!! :lol

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frankie was getting pretty sparse in some places until we got his thyroid dialed in; then we added melatonin and he is positively plush! He still has a baldy butt, but the areas on his thighs where the coat was so thin and dry is really nice. He's looking good! :blush