Is This Normal?

Guest BeckaS

Guest BeckaS

I'm a new greyhound momma, so this could be completely normal stuff, and that's fine! We understand that greys are couch potatoes, I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Toki has been with us for a few weeks now. Did great with his crate training, so now he get's our whole den/family room area while we are at work. This room has a window out to where we park our cars. Most of the time, he sits on the couch looking out to where are cars go. At first, we thought it was because he was waiting for us to come home, but my fiance is at home & Toki is still on the couch. My fiance tried to play/hang out with him, but he seems content to just sit there.

I guess I just assumed that because they are so social, he would at least want to be sitting near people. He has a bed in our TV room and bedroom, but seems to be glued to that couch during the day.

Is this normal? Should we being doing something else to get him to be more socialized?

Guest EllaTheGreyt

I don't think anything is wrong. Just give him some time to "bloom", it takes a bit for them to get really comfortable and come out of their shell a bit. Our girl Ella doesn't play a whole lot, she get's a little crazy for about 10 minutes at a time and runs around the house or outside and throws toys in the air, then back for a nap because it must have been exhausting! They sleep...A LOT. Ella doesn't leave her bed for most of the day. So, I say don't worry, he's just being a grey :)

Edited by EllaTheGreyt

Guest BeckaS

Thanks for the advice. Like I said before, I assumed it was a time thing, but I just wanted to ask for peace of mind.

Toki will often sit with us at night while watching TV, so I find it odd that he sits alone during the day...but maybe that's just his thing.

He probably likes looking out the window. It's more exciting than laying in a boring Tv room! Give him a little time and patience and he'll probably come to want to be with you both more. Then you'll be here asking how to get the velco dog unattached from your hip! :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well, it will be 6 years in September that Foley came to us. She was a true spook. She has never been the cuddly, want to be with you type. Even after almost 6 years, she still surprises us - she now will come to be petted (just started this a few months ago). She does bark with excitement when we come home and runs to greet us. But generally, she spends her time on her bed or in the back yard sunbathing!!At night, she will come into our bedroom to sleep, but leaves if either of us get up for any reason. Now, Charlie, my assistance dog is the complete opposite - he is very cheerful, loves to be hugged and kissed and plays with his toys. Each Grey has such a distinct personality - but give it some time, as they all need to adapt to their new homes and routines. One day, you will get a surprise!

Edited by Pepsi2004
pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

My first boy, Batman, loved to lie and look out our front window. If he wasn't there, he was off somewhere else sleeping. He very seldom got up to greet the home occupants. He was confident, comfortable, and already knew what we smelled like. He caused my late father to refer to greyhounds as "plant life."

You could have a similarly comfy, confident pup, or could be he'll branch out more when he's used to your home. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gecko_foot

I'm a new greyhound momma, so this could be completely normal stuff, and that's fine! We understand that greys are couch potatoes, I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Toki has been with us for a few weeks now. Did great with his crate training, so now he get's our whole den/family room area while we are at work. This room has a window out to where we park our cars. Most of the time, he sits on the couch looking out to where are cars go. At first, we thought it was because he was waiting for us to come home, but my fiance is at home & Toki is still on the couch. My fiance tried to play/hang out with him, but he seems content to just sit there.

I guess I just assumed that because they are so social, he would at least want to be sitting near people. He has a bed in our TV room and bedroom, but seems to be glued to that couch during the day.

Is this normal? Should we being doing something else to get him to be more socialized?

Tumnus started out as a very calm, social boy, but he's very subtle about his affection. If I'm home, he will stay on his bed for 90% of the time...asleep. I've also found that Tumnus has to be in a specific mood to play, and unless he's in that mood, he's as active as a cucumber.

It sounds like your boy is perfectly normal - at least according to my newbie experience. :) As far as socialization goes, Tumnus was very social when I got him, so I can't really help you much there. I would just take everything slow and make sure your dog is comfortable with a few new people before exposing him to a high-stress situation like a meet and greet.

Guest bluefawn

Ummmm... they did tell you that you were adopting a couch potato, didn't they? lol.gif But hey, he is just chillin' and he will be following you around before long! I would put some treats in a Kong toy and play with him with it. He may be food motivated. Welcome to GT - and you must post pictures soon!! smile.gif

Guest Heehoo

When Snowy was alive, she was the last to get off the bed in the afternoon. I would come home to at least 8 happy dogs and then she's come in the room like Oh the woman who lets us out is here, I hope she feeds me too. She was never affectionate, never social with the others. Right now all of mine are in here in the den with me. But she would've been in the bedroom laying on my bed. 

Sometimes they don't know about playing, at the racing kennels they don't play with humans very much, just with other greys...so it might take some time before he starts playing. Mine don't play with me, I'll throw a ball or shoe for them outside & Jack is the only one who retrieves. 

I can tell from your posts though that you're excited about your new pup. Congratulations.

very normal..lexie was by herself for practically a whole year in the other room and stuff. now she only wants to be with us.. give it time. sounds like the couch is very comfy. Maybe make a comfy spot where u guys are :)

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

Guest AGirlNamedMe

I think it took Bella a few weeks to start acting like she even liked us a little bit. The first time she stood and wagged her tail a little, we were so excited. Now...2 months later, that tail is going constantly and she is our little (big) velcro puppy.

Time is probably all that is needed. If she's not acting differently after spending another few weeks in your home, you might have her thyroid tested as being sluggish or shy can be symptoms of a problem.

Guest BeckaS

It sounds pretty normal. BTW did you name Toki after Toki Wartooth from Dethklok? :blush:lol

Hahaha, yes, that's exactly where his name comes from. :P:rivethead

We've had Lola for 7 months, and she is just starting to become more affectionate, and act like she likes us. She spends a large part of the time lying on the couch, giving us the "stink eye", and looking worried. or sleeping. in just the past week, she's been coming all the way down the hall to the front door, with her tail wagging, to greet us when we get home. that's a first!! and we've had jackie for almost a year, and her personality is still changing for the better. so i say, like the others, just be patient and let your bonding unfold over the weeks and months. your toki sounds just fine. have you posted a picture yet?? :colgate

Edited by tra708
2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest jenznaz

It sounds pretty normal. BTW did you name Toki after Toki Wartooth from Dethklok? :blush:lol

Hahaha, yes, that's exactly where his name comes from. :P:rivethead

Love Dethklok. Still mad i couldn't see them play near me last Halloween :angryfire

These precious guys just take time. Someone said it here a long time ago but the dog you have now will be totally different than the dog you have in a year. I can attest to that. Tank was like Toki very aloof and pretty much stuck to one bed. A little over a year later and he chases toys and soaks up all the lovin he can.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Sounds like typical behavior to me. Most Greyhounds are so unused to being pets that it takes a while to acclimate. Both Spencer and Buzz took several months before their full personalities came out. Now they're love bugs! So be patient.

Guest lisa_grublesky

Thanks for the advice. Like I said before, I assumed it was a time thing, but I just wanted to ask for peace of mind.

Toki will often sit with us at night while watching TV, so I find it odd that he sits alone during the day...but maybe that's just his thing.

It is probably Toki's thing. Our Sundae would rather lay on her bed in our bedroom, then downstairs with us while we are watching TV. My husband thinks she like to sun bathe up there in the daytime. I think she is just ignoring us :lol