All Shots

Two of my gang are 12 now we have decided to stop all shots becuase of there age , they never go anywhere , our yard if fenced they only stay out about two minutes and I have never seen a musqueto where we live and none of our greys have ever had a tick , we also have a yorkie who is now 11 and never leaves the house she potties on a paper towl and has only had her puppy shots , have others done this.

Guest Energy11

I don't give anything but 3 yr Rabies and Bordetella. Why the Bord? For when they go to the vet's office. I, too, do not take my dogs off our property, and they do not go where other dogs have been. Mine rang in age from 8-9.5.

Guest mountain4greys

I just went through this with our 10 year old. Ten is the limit for me. My vet has no problem with that. I got her rabies. Unfortunatley, in WV, we still have a 2 year rabies.

Ever since our Bridge Girlie Lulu started having seizures at 4, I began to titer here too. She never had a history of seizures, but started having them just two weeks after her Distemper shot. We had bloodwork done within the hour after her first seizure and her ALT liver enzyme was off the charts. The vet explained that is the bodies way to show that something toxic occured in the body. We gave supplements to help heal and support her liver, and within a few months her levels were back to normal. She also never received any more shots other than rabies after that as her titers were within acceptable levels.

Rabies are required here by law every three years.

No shots here, my vet is in agreement

eta - they still continue to go to the vet and get a yearly exam, bloodwork, heartworm screening

Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Guest bluefawn

No shots for mine except for rabies as required by law. And a 1X a year checkup w/blood work. And we now have to test every 6 months for heartworm at my vet's even if they have been on it and I get it there at their office. I am not happy with that, but until I switch vets, I will be stuck with it. Penny goes out, does her business, comes right back in. OTOH, Miss Candi would spend all day and all night out there, so I won't have an issue with testing her more, even on the HW preventive. I guess this all depends on personal preference and your greyhound's age/circumstances.smile.gif

My Cali died at age 15, she hadn't had anything but rabies since she was about 4. She hadn't even had a rabies for about 5 years. All my dogs got a rabies shot about 4 or 5 years ago when we moved here to Arizona. They haven't had shots since they were adopted, or in the case of my poodle, since he was 2. They are all seniors now, no one here under 10 and none of them will ever get another shot of any kind as far as immunizations go. Thankfully out here my vet doesn't push shots at all and won't even encourage a rabies shot for old dogs and the county doesn't seem to keep up on things like this.

In many/some states you can get a wavier for rabies shots for geriatric dogs and cats. If the county were to keep up on things here, that is what I would do.

Guest RocketDog

We get the 3-year rabies as it is required to license the hounds, and this year everyone got their DHLPP and Bordatella boosters since we brought in a new puppy and wanted to keep her as safe as possible as she went through her immunizations. None of mine have had any adverse reactions to their vaccinations, however I do find the low-vax ideas interesting and will probably do more independent research before discussing it with my new vet.