Beware The Ides Of March

Guest RedTigerJazz

Guest RedTigerJazz

I hate posting in this forum. :(

Jazz was having issues Sunday that looked like bloat but I knew it wasn't. I don't trust the e-vets around us so I took yesterday off work to take him to our regular vet in Wheeling. He diagnosed our boy with Congestive Heart Failure. :weep Jazz is feeling much better today but we realize we don't have a lot of time left with him. :weep

Can any of you who've lealt with this in the past tell us how long you had your pup with you after the initial diagnosis?

Thanks you all for the support and prayers that I know are alreadly being sent Jazz's way.

~Lisa~

Guest greybookends

I am sorry. I have never personally dealt with CHF but my dad had a toy Poodle that did. She was on meds for the condition and actually went a couple of years with it before he lost her. Good luck.

Guest Energy11

I never had a dog with CHF, but treated many humans who did.

There are A LOT of great medications out there for this condition, for canines as well as humans. Once Jazz gets on the proper meds, he should be a lot better, and hopefully, you will have him a long time!

Sending him, and you, a HUGE hug, and lots of good thoughts and prayers! Dee and The Five bighug.gif

I hate posting in this forum. :(

Jazz was having issues Sunday that looked like bloat but I knew it wasn't. I don't trust the e-vets around us so I took yesterday off work to take him to our regular vet in Wheeling. He diagnosed our boy with Congestive Heart Failure. :weep Jazz is feeling much better today but we realize we don't have a lot of time left with him. :weep

Can any of you who've lealt with this in the past tell us how long you had your pup with you after the initial diagnosis?

Thanks you all for the support and prayers that I know are alreadly being sent Jazz's way.

~Lisa~

I know there are several on the board whose pups are dealing with this and are on meds and doing well. I'm so sorry to hear of Jazz's diagnosis. Hopefully he will respond well to the medication and will be with you for quite a while to come.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm sorry. I hope Jazz has a lot of good time left with you.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I have congestive heart failure , have had it for over a year now , at night I sleep with oxygen on and take Mucenix twice a day for the filling up of my lungs with fulid , ask your vet if your grey could take a small part of a mucenix pill. Dan

hugs. prayers. much love.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Pearl actually never made it to CHF. She had heart disease and if she didn't get cancer would have ended up with it.

She was diagnosed with heart disease about 7 yrs ago and started on meds. As needed her meds were increased or added to.

If you can afford it, take him to a cardiologist for a second opinion.

Oh such a scary sounding dx Lisa. I'm so sorry for you and Jazz. He is in my prayers. Hoping you all have some good, happy time together.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I know it sounds scary, but there is a lot they can do with meds to make them feel better. I agree about taking him to a cardiologist if you can. Sugar had heart disease and was in the early stages of CHF. She lived for about three years. I lost her at 12 1/2 from kidney failure.

Guest sheila

did you ask your vet about what treatments were available and what Jazz prognosis was? Unless he is very progressed with CHF I don't think he should be on deaths door. With proper treatment he could very well have yrs of happy life with you.

when faced with a situation like this my questions to the vet would be:

.what are the possible treatments?

.what is the prognosis with or w/o treatment?

.could the treatment cause other ill effects (damage to kidneys/liver etc)

Most important question I ask my vet is, 'If this was your dog, what would you do?'

Sending good thoughts for Jazz...I hope you can get him on the right meds and that you'll have many more happy days with him!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest RedTigerJazz

Thank you all for the good thoughts. And especially for all of the posts stating that they have or know a dog that lived for years after being diagnosed. :)

Jazz is on two meds (they're at home & I can't remember what they are). So far so good. He is feeling better today. We'll go back in about a week for the vet to listen to his heart and lungs again. No more x-rays, though. The vet's office just really stresses him out lately.. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated through this thread.

Thank you all!

~Lisa~

Lisa and Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about Jazz but judging by the other responses, he may have lots of good years left. Poor baby, give him some hugs and scritches from us. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Misty-Iggy has had a grade 3 heart murmur for about three years. on March 5th she had her Echocardiogram that showed Mitral Regurgitation (improper sealing of the Mitral valve between the left atrium and left ventricle of the heart. the left ventricle is the one that pumps oxygenated blood to the whole body). Her left ventricle is enlarged from having to work harder and her whole heart is slightly enlarged. This will all eventually lead to Congestive Failure. Congestive failure is when the heart is no longer able to pump forcefully enough to propel fluids in and out of the lungs, resulting in the lungs filling with fluids and the patient....well.... :( drowning.

There are three meds used to treat Misty-Mousie's condition: she started Laxix 3.25 mg every other day even though her lungs are clear and her body is not swollen at this point. she started enalapril which is a med to help the heart beat stronger and more effectively and she started another med called Vetmedin. Vetmedin is not available to humans in the US, only in Japan so I'm not familiar with it other then what I Googled. It sounded to me like a med that's supposed to have very similar effects to the enalapril. It's generic name is pimobenaden.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking Jazz is on daily Lasix to clear the fluid from his body, it's what most people call a "water pill" because it's a diuretic. and probably the enalapril because it's the most common in human and animal health care.

Unless it got too bad before it was diagnosed, once he's over this initial period, he should be fine for several years.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana