Underwater Treadmill - What To Expect?

Guest gryhnd3

grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

:bighug

I'm sorry! He knows he was well and truly loved!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest iconsmum

I'm so sorry for you. My old dog had exactly the same thing happen to him as you are describing. His usually very unstable back end gave completely and suddenly with no warning. It was because of a broken piece of calcification between 2 lumbar vertebrae. Within an hour one morning, he couldn't walk, lie down, pee, and he was calling in terrible pain. I found a mobile vet and we laid him down gently and the vet put him to sleep right at home wrapped gently in his favourite quilt. He was 11 and I'd do it again for him ...even though it was so hard at the time. My thoughts are with you.

Guest gryhnd3

Thank you.

We saw Dr. Carol at Grassmere tonight. We discussed everything and she looked at his xrays and she agrees with our original decision this morning - that we should definitely let him go, and soon. So he will have a hamburger tonight, actually all 3 dogs will, to celebrate his life with him, and we will take him to the local vet tomorrow morning and let him go. We know it is the right thing to do and are okay with it when discussing it now, but I know it will be terrible tomorrow when the time comes, and coming back to the house and not seeing him here, having him here, is going to be such a giant hole. He is so special, also our first grey.

Thinking of you today.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest gryhnd3

Our sweet baby is gone from us, free of pain, free to run and play again with his sister.

FYI, Dr. Carol said that the treadmill could have just as easily made an improvement instead of speeding things along in the other direction, she said there would have been no way to know.

I am so sorry. You gave him every chance & lots of love & that's always the right decision. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so sorry. You gave him every chance & lots of love & that's always the right decision. grouphug.gif

Exactly. You're in our thoughts and prayers, for the healing of your hearts.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

FYI, Dr. Carol said that the treadmill could have just as easily made an improvement instead of speeding things along in the other direction, she said there would have been no way to know

I'm only going to comment since so many people are reading: no way should a dog be put on a treadmill for 15 minutes the first time :cry1 I feel so bad for you.

He's running free now. :grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest gryhnd3
FYI, Dr. Carol said that the treadmill could have just as easily made an improvement instead of speeding things along in the other direction, she said there would have been no way to know

I'm only going to comment since so many people are reading: no way should a dog be put on a treadmill for 15 minutes the first time :cry1 I feel so bad for you.

He's running free now. :grouphug

Yes, don't think that I haven't regretted trying water therapy and wish I could take Saturday back. Clearly it hastened what was going to come at some point. But the vets did feel that the condition of his spine was pretty bad, and I was told that this could have happened from anything, walking down stairs for example (not that we had him climb flights of stairs, did have a set of gradual doggie stairs my husband made so he could get off the deck and into the back yard easier).

But no one should picture that he was actually walking or trotting or anything like that for 15 min. It was such a slow speed that it was barely noticeable to us, at one point she added bars on the side to try to prevent him from putting his feet (accidentally I'm sure) off to the side and off the treadmill. He did not keep up with the treadmill and walk steadily by any means. He would very slowly move away from us, because he was standing still and the treadmill would of course carry him back, then we would call him and he'd take a few steps forward. Bottom line, obviously it aggravated his spine to the condition to where he lost mobility, but according to the vets, this was going to happen regardless. That vet is the only one that has one within 4 hours of here as far as I know, they got it last summer.

Sadly, I really had high hopes that he was going to live a longer life (but I do believe 13.9 is great for a greyhound), his labwork was perfect, he was eating better than last summer, the acupuncture seemed to have helped, thought all we needed to do was strengthen his back end and we'd be good. But...I did not know the bad condition of his spine. So...I would suggest that if anyone does try treadmill, they may want to get full set of xrays done beforehand. I do not know if a vet would have looked at the xrays and said not to try it, though...

Anyway, I have to accept what has happened, I can't go on forever kicking myself for trying the treadmill, though certainly I will to some degree. I don't feel our dogs realize things as short as a few months in a 13 yr lifetime of what I feel was happiness and love, and it seems clear to me from the xrays/vets that we would have been facing this in the not too distant future. Would I love to have more days with him? Of course. But he may have been in pain even though it was not noticeable to us (though he was on small dose of Tramadol), and his walking and getting up was far from perfect before this happened.

I thank you all for your hugs and kind words. If I can take the time to figure out how to post a picture, I will. Derby was a beautiful red fawn. He raced in MA and we adopted him from our NJ group when he was 4 y/o, right off the track.

No matter what happens, or how our beloved dogs leave this life, we always second guess our decisions. He knew he was loved and cherished. Sending all our sympathies.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter