Recent Adoption

Guest judy

We just got our 3 1/2 yr old greyhound. He was in the home of a 80yr old couple, then in foster care. Upon arrival he was scared to death. We could not get him in the house. After much coaxing he had to be carried in. Was obviously very nervous. First 2 time out through the back door after doing his business he ran full force into the back storm door. I think possibly he had a doggie door at one time. Now he will not go out until he absolutely has to. He has had accidents twice a day since we got him. Left him 1hr at a time over the weekend and had diarrhea both times. Also think he has separation anxiety. Any Suggestions?

P.S. We put cardboard on half of storm door and stand in front of the door to prevent him from running into door

Guest Stripeyfan

The diarrhoea when he was left (if that's the only time he has it) sounds like SA. We got some good advice on how to prevent SA when we got Kelly, as he's a very loving and timid dog who we were told could easily develop it... He sleeps in the hall at night so we had to put him in there for 1 minute, go into the kitchen and close the door, IGNORE all crying (heartbreakingly difficult!), then let him into the kitchen and ignore him for 30 secs or so until he was calm (no eye contact). Then, treat, cuddles, and have a few minute's break without making too much fuss of him before shutting him back out in the hall and doing it all again for 2 minutes. After that the times were increased to 5 minutes, 10, 15, 20 and eventually 30 minutes. The rest of the day we left him in the hall for random periods at random times, maybe 5 or 6 times more. The day after that we did the same, then left the house (just stood outside). And the day after that we drove round the block and built up to an hour. Had to do it quick as he had to be left for real after that when we returned to work. I think the idea is to basically desensitise the dog to you leaving so it realises it's no big deal. Oh, and don't make a fuss of the dog before you leave and immediately when you come back or it will think it's a big deal.

It worked really well for us but if the dog already has SA it might take longer to build up to this and you might need expert advice. We also leave a radio on for Kelly when we're out (in the kitchen behind the closed door, just loud enough so he can hear), and at night. Good luck and lots of hugs to your boy. :grouphug

Edited by Stripeyfan

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What type of floor do you have in the room he has to travel through to get outside? Also, what type of floor do you have where he wouldnt come in the front way? Are these floors shiny by chance? Maybe wood floors? Lots of greyhounds are afraid of shiny floors if they have no experience walking on them. This could be the issue with the fear of not wanting in our out. The running through the screen door, well that could be part of the floor issue. The elimination when you were gone a short time, that could be many things. Realize he has had his life turned upside down many times now. You need to go back to housebreaking 101. I would also suggest going outside at least once every 1-2 hours while you are awake for the first two weeks. Additionally I would hand feed your boy his food for a few weeks to get him to trust you and bond with you, this will help, it may seem like a pain in the butt, but it will help in the long run with other behavior things that could come up. If you do have shiny floors, there are ways to help, the most immediate way is to get carpet runners that have a rubber backing so they dont slip when he walks on them. Basically you make walkways to the door and through rooms where he can walk on carpet the entire time. Be patient, but dont coddle him. If he balks when you want him to go inside or outside, loop your hand through the extendable part of his martingale collar like you are holding a suitcase, then simply walk him where you want him to go. No talking, cooing, or asking him to move, just move him. Most hounds when you grab the collar will realize they have to go where you tell them as when they are racing, this is what the trainers do if they balk. It is not crewl, so dont worry about it. Be consistent and reward with treats when he eliminates outside. Treat AS SOON as he eliminates, not when you get back inside. Above all, relax, things will get better. COngrats on finding this site. There are lots of knoledgable people here that will give you lots of tips and advice. Good luck.

Chad

Guest bluefawn

Congratulations on your new boy, and welcome to GT! Can't add anything to the good advice you have so far. Agree about the S/A, especially since the 80 y/os were with him constantly and now they aren't. Sending hugs and prayers that he will come around. Patience is going to be most important. You will find a lot of support here smile.gif We look forward to pictures and updates!

What type of floor do you have in the room he has to travel through to get outside? Also, what type of floor do you have where he wouldnt come in the front way? Are these floors shiny by chance? Maybe wood floors? Lots of greyhounds are afraid of shiny floors if they have no experience walking on them. This could be the issue with the fear of not wanting in our out. The running through the screen door, well that could be part of the floor issue. The elimination when you were gone a short time, that could be many things. Realize he has had his life turned upside down many times now. You need to go back to housebreaking 101. I would also suggest going outside at least once every 1-2 hours while you are awake for the first two weeks. Additionally I would hand feed your boy his food for a few weeks to get him to trust you and bond with you, this will help, it may seem like a pain in the butt, but it will help in the long run with other behavior things that could come up. If you do have shiny floors, there are ways to help, the most immediate way is to get carpet runners that have a rubber backing so they dont slip when he walks on them. Basically you make walkways to the door and through rooms where he can walk on carpet the entire time. Be patient, but dont coddle him. If he balks when you want him to go inside or outside, loop your hand through the extendable part of his martingale collar like you are holding a suitcase, then simply walk him where you want him to go. No talking, cooing, or asking him to move, just move him. Most hounds when you grab the collar will realize they have to go where you tell them as when they are racing, this is what the trainers do if they balk. It is not crewl, so dont worry about it. Be consistent and reward with treats when he eliminates outside. Treat AS SOON as he eliminates, not when you get back inside. Above all, relax, things will get better. COngrats on finding this site. There are lots of knoledgable people here that will give you lots of tips and advice. Good luck.

Chad

Thanks for the advice. We do have hardwood floors with area carpets over them. He would not even come up our front steps on arrival. Do you think I should block him in the kitchen while at work until he can control his urges.

Please continue to monitor him and the glass door. There was a greyhound here who broke its neck running into one. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest happygrey

Thanks for the advice. We do have hardwood floors with area carpets over them. He would not even come up our front steps on arrival. Do you think I should block him in the kitchen while at work until he can control his urges.

I would definitely limit him to a room or two while you are out or crate him if he's used to a crate. You may also want to ask the foster parents what may have worked (or not) for them. Is it possible for you to come back during the day and take him out for a walk? That might help with accidents.

Guest twhitehouse

First of all, the running poop while you're gone might not necessarily mean he has full blown SA. He, of course, might be a little nervous and scared when left right now just because his whole world has just been turned around and he also sounds like he might be a little timid anyway. You can work on alone training, like someone mentioned above and that will help. I also would take him out every 1-2 hours while your home and babygating him in the kitchen for now sounds like a good plan.

Give him some time and things will probably get better. Stick to a strict routine so he can adjust a little easier.

Most of all, smile and enjoy him. It will get better.

I would definitely limit him to a room or two while you are out or crate him if he's used to a crate. You may also want to ask the foster parents what may have worked (or not) for them. Is it possible for you to come back during the day and take him out for a walk? That might help with accidents.

I started to take him for a walk in the evening and first thing in the morning. Went home at lunchtime, all is well. Keep your fingers crossed this works. I will try to contact the foster mom to see if he can do steps and had a doggie door. Will keep you posted on his progress. Thanks