Had A Little Accident With Ellie Today...

Guest NJgrey

Guest NJgrey

Ellie has this habit: she'll be walking nicely on a leash to my left, then suddenly, and for no good reason, bump into me and walk right in front of my feet. I've tripped over her a few times already and knew this was an accident waiting to happen. Well, turns out it only took two weeks. This morning we were out for our walk, she did her thing, but this time I stepped on her right front paw. She did a little GSOD, so I took a quick look, but didn't see anything wrong with her foot. She walked the rest of the way just fine.

When I got home I saw she was scraped/ cut in 2-3 places, two on her toes and one in between the toes, and there was some blood on each cut. I cleaned each one with a little mild soap and warm water. She didn't protest at all (squeezed each toe to see if that gave her any pain etc.) and she didn't seem to be bleeding any more once I finished but by that point I had to leave for work.

She was in her crate happily licking her kong when I left and I'm going to run home at lunch today to check on her, but what else should I do for this besides clean the cuts once or twice a day? Any particular product I should/ shouldn't use? Is this something I can just keep an eye on for a few days or should we make an appt. with the vet?

Thanks!

Signed,

An over-anxious new dog parent :)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about the little accident. I know what you mean about them doing that.

Here is something from our first aid presentation, that might help. Good Luck!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

My Claire, too, has that habit. I've yet to really step on her, but she did cause me to fly down a hill and give my knee a bad sprain (happened last Oct and the knee is still hinky).

Welcome to GT!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest snakes

she will be fine, just watch it, really no need for the vet unless it swells up or starts looking very angry. I can't even remember the number of scrapes mine have had on thier feet (usually from their own nails or small sticks while running). Mine usually lick the cut for a couple days then it is back to normal!

Guest NJgrey

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why she does it. It's not like there's another dog or a little animal distracting her. It just comes out of nowhere.

Just want to make sure I'm dealing with her wounds properly. Is Neosporin OK to use? The cuts/ scrapes aren't deep, just want to make sure they don't get infected.

Guest snakes

I think neosporin would be ok, my vet once suggested bacitracin so i know that is good. In general in dogs or humans don't use those products more for a week at a time as prolonged "everyday' use can affect adrenal glands. Treating a cut though any dog/human will be fine!

When i first adopted a greyhound i was warned that as a breed they don't tend to walk in a straight line! I bump/trip/step on mine on a regular basis! It isn't just you and your pup!

Guest Energy11

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why she does it. It's not like there's another dog or a little animal distracting her. It just comes out of nowhere.

Just want to make sure I'm dealing with her wounds properly. Is Neosporin OK to use? The cuts/ scrapes aren't deep, just want to make sure they don't get infected.

Neosporin is fine. You could get a tube of Panalog or Animax from you vet. They're about $7 a tube or so. They are specially made for dogs. I particularly LOVE the Trypzyme-V, which I keep on hand all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Trypzyme-V-Liquid-1-Oz/dp/B000MCX6FW (*good to have on hand)!

Good Luck, and if you don't see a lot of redness, swelling or pus, you should be fine. If you do see the above, your Ellie will need some antibiotics from the vet.

I've also got one of those dogs that changes lanes without signaling. You can try to minimize the chance of a recurrence if you tighten up on the leash so that she has to walk right next to you and doesn't have enough slack to get in front. This is what also prevents me from pitching over onto my face every time she slams on the brakes (on days when a sudden lane change just isn't exciting enough for her).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest mountain4greys

It's greyhound road rage! :lol They cut in front of you, they change lanes without signaling. Where are the greyhound police when you need them. :lol

Guest krystolla

Hack likes to jump in front of his person while walking too, though he's getting better about it. DH and I both have procured some startlingly large bruises but thankfully no worse injuries. :broke For him, it seems to be a manifestation of his generally nervous demeanor -- he throws himself in front of his human to save us both from approaching the dangerous plastic bag, or kid-on-a-bike, or red car . . . whatever. :gnome

I'm not sure how to express my gratitude. :POed

Thanks for the replies.

One of our boy's names is Bumper - race name Doe's Bumper. It didn't take us long to figure out why :coastie

(interestingly enough, he almost always wanted to run the rail while racing, so much so, it's what prompted the retirement card for him after his last race - ran straight into the flank of another dog and finished way behind the pack, clearly winded.)

So, maybe it's the independence in the hound, going wherever she wants to go as if she was still running??

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest NJgrey

Well nice to see Ellie isn't alone in this. I generally keep her on a pretty short leash and she's been walking great the past few days. She occasionally does her lane changes without a blinker but she's getting better.

Her toes seem fine too. Will keep cleaning the scrapes but shouldn't be an issue. Thinking back on it, it's kind of funny. As soon as it happened she looked up and gave me this look as if to say, "How could you do this to me?!?!?" :violin lol.

Guest Drumhellergrey

That is the one thing about greys. They cut themselves quite often.

Mine is off-leash for a good portion of his walks, as we live in a rural setting. I have lost count of the many nicks and cuts he has gotten.

I keep a tube of Neosporin on hand always. For any deep cuts, you might want to invest in some Nitrofurazone. It is an Antibacterial dressing that helps in quick healing. You can only use that if the wound is covered, as the dog cannot lick. You get it at the vet.

Good to hear that your hound is walking better, and I don't know if yours is ever off-leash. If they ever are. be prepared for future cuts and bumps.