Teaching A Gh To Fetch

Guest jaws4evr

Guest jaws4evr

Hi all

I was curious if anyone has managed to teach their grey to fetch. I think it'd be a nice way to get some interactive running exercise with my girl, since I'm obviously just not fast enough!

Our pitty/labish mix fetches like a champion, but he just kindof "figured it out", we didn't consciously teach him. The grey will chase after (or at least go see) a toy or object we've tossed for her, but for now hasn't picked it up.

So anyone who has a fetcher, or has managed to teach this, any tips?

Lots of folks have taught greys to fetch, and I'm sure they'll chime in! Kipper fetches, but we didn't really teach him. ;)

He started by running after toys we tossed in the house. Then we tossed a tennis ball at the park and he ran after it, but once he reached it, looked at us in confusion. :lol

Eventually, he picked it up and ran around chomping on it, and we praised like crazy. Then when he always picked it up and was delighted to catch the bounced balls in the air, we started running away from him after he got the ball -- so it became a two-way chase game to him! Now he almost always brings it back, until he's tired.

(another fun game is the lure pole...it's Kipper's favorite, by far, and you don't need a big hard for it!)

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest jaws4evr

Lots of folks have taught greys to fetch, and I'm sure they'll chime in! Kipper fetches, but we didn't really teach him. ;)

He started by running after toys we tossed in the house. Then we tossed a tennis ball at the park and he ran after it, but once he reached it, looked at us in confusion. :lol

Eventually, he picked it up and ran around chomping on it, and we praised like crazy. Then when he always picked it up and was delighted to catch the bounced balls in the air, we started running away from him after he got the ball -- so it became a two-way chase game to him! Now he almost always brings it back, until he's tired.

(another fun game is the lure pole...it's Kipper's favorite, by far, and you don't need a big hard for it!)

What is a "lure pole" and where can I find one? Sounds fun!

Joseph learned via -1- having a toy he didn't want to give up, and -2- good treats. At first, I'd throw it, then go up to him (with toy in his mouth), tell him to "bring it here!...drop it!", and give him a treat when he dropped it. He is a Will Work For Food boy, so he caught on pretty quickly that it was faster for him to get to me than for me to get to him. If he dropped the toy too far away, I'd point at it and tell him to go get it -- he only got the cookie tidbit for bringing it back. Gradually made the distance farther.

He loves this game but much prefers one particular, easy-to-carry toy to play with. So that is the one we usually use. We play every night in the winter, in our big rec room. When the weather's good enough to play outside, sometimes he wants to play fetch, sometimes he'd rather run laps or play with a toy by himself; I let him choose.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jaws4evr

Joseph learned via -1- having a toy he didn't want to give up, and -2- good treats. At first, I'd throw it, then go up to him (with toy in his mouth), tell him to "bring it here!...drop it!", and give him a treat when he dropped it. He is a Will Work For Food boy, so he caught on pretty quickly that it was faster for him to get to me than for me to get to him. If he dropped the toy too far away, I'd point at it and tell him to go get it -- he only got the cookie tidbit for bringing it back. Gradually made the distance farther.

Oooo good idea about going up to them with treats, instead of convincing them to come to you right from the get-go

Guest 4dogscrazy

Type in the search bar for my lure pole discussion, I just asked about this a week or two ago! Anyway, I ended up buying a lunge whip from farm and tractor supply and my young boy loves it! You have to go slow to get them used to it, they don't normally like big sticks! But we are having a blast and taking it slow, it's a lot of exercise for him, he basically lazy :colgate Definately recommend!

Unfortunately, I have no advice for teaching them tricks, I've never been able to teach them anything :lol

Diamond thinks he's a lab and loves to fetch

Not sure how it started, it just did and now it's a daily thing

I went from throwing it a few times before he got tired and today I threw it 20 times before he got tired :lol

Here he is playing fetch in the snow- he drops it at my feet

20563_297279622582_527687582_3952125_433716_n.jpg

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Two of ours fetch. I don't think we did much teaching. Dawn LOVES to fetch! She just stands beside you with her eyes on the stuffie. When you throw it, she takes off like a silver bullet. Our youngster loves to fetch but he fetches in a different way. He brings it to you and gives it back. Then, he tries to get it back, sort of like keep away. Once you throw it and your grey gets it, if s/he doesn't bring it back, I would go up to her and take it away and throw it again. She did it really quick! Good Luck!

Guest greybookends

Ginny was born to fetch! The problem is getting her to stop once you've made the first throw! The rest will chase what you throw and get it but good luck getting it back to throw it again.

Guest GreyFan09

I've tried to get our boy to fetch, or even just chase something thrown, but have had no luck. Whenever I toss anything, he just looks at me like "what are you doing" and walks away. I will try more this summer in the yard with him. No wonder he never won any races. He probably stopped halfway around the track to sniff and see if he could get pets from anyone!

Sara fetches toys and treats, she loves to catch things in the air, she is very good @ it, she will drop a toy if I have a treat for her, very treat motivated! Max will chase Sara when she is running w/one of her stuffies, he is not interested in fetching a treat or toy.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest SaddleWags

Ginny was born to fetch! The problem is getting her to stop once you've made the first throw! The rest will chase what you throw and get it but good luck getting it back to throw it again.

Same here. I think, if given the chance, Edie would run until her heart burst. She loves chasing the squeekies and brings them back beautifully 85% of the time. But she learned on her own.

Good luck with teaching...

Guest Drumhellergrey

Ted and I play in the off-leash area all the time. I throw a tennis ball and he will usually catch it on the run within the first or second bounce.

I never taught him how, he just seemed to pick it up himself. He will bring it back, but won't give it up. I either have to play "tug of war" to get it back, or let him keep it for a short while. He will carry it so far, then drop it at his feet and hover over it until I catch up.

We travel a fair distance during his walks, both on leash and off. He knows that once we reach the park, that is the start of play-time with the tennis ball.

My advice to you would be to just keep throwing a tennis ball for your hound, in a safe place. If he picks up on it, offer quick praise. if not, either keep trying, or find another game that they enjoy.

I should add that Ted isn't interested in the ball 100% of the time. If he has picked up a strange scent, he may not respond to the ball at all.

Guest NJgrey

Ellie does it on her own. Throw a stuffie down the hall way and she'll run after it, pounce on it, pick it up and run back to me. Often she'll try to run past me and take the stuffie into her crate, so I just grab it while she's holding it and she lets go right away. Rinse and repeat... for 5 minutes, that is. Then it's time to lay down for an hour.

Edited by NJgrey