Re-Aggravation Of Back Sprain

Just sitting here with my cutie-pie Asta, who had to go to the e-vet in the wee hours this morning. This was her third trip for the same sprain since November. She'd made such great strides since her last visit just after the New Year. In the past 2 or 3 weeks especially, she's been clearly feeling stronger and spunkier. But something happened while I was out on errands and my husband was mowing the yard yesterday (no doubt because she felt so good!). It's impossible to know what triggered things, but we saw that she was hurting late in the afternoon and it got steadily worse through the night. I got up with her at 4:00, and she could barely move, so off to the vet's we went. :(

She's back on a course of pain, anti-inflammatory, and muscle-relaxant meds --- and we'll do at least 30 days of restricted activity. She was SO brave at the vet's as they poked and prodded and twisted to figure out exactly where the pain is. Her legs were stable (though I reported that the back ones gave out on her right before I called to say we were coming), her neck was just fine, and the pain seems to all be in her spine, from about midway to her bottom.

Anyway, I'll be calling a couple of local vets who do alternative therapies to see about acupuncture, massage (hoping for something I could do), etc., to help relieve pain and speed recovery . . . one that's more complete, we hope. Our vet doesn't think Asta is "down for the count," as far permanently restricting activity level goes. At almost 9, though, I'm guessing we won't get her back to quite where she was before the first sprain, though. Willing to try anything for the furbaby!!

I'd love to hear any experiences with acupuncture, PT, or chiropractic care to treat a sprain.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

We have done acupuncture on 3 of our dogs. 2 of them went consistantly and there was a definite improvement. I do not do chiro for the dogs as I am too afraid of manipulation. The dogs can't say when it hurts and it just scares me too much. Not much can go terribly wrong with acupunture. It usually takes between 3-5 weeks before there is any improvement and sometimes it can get worse before it gets better.

Hope your baby feels better soon.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks for the thoughts, Robin! I'm not so sure I'd go for chiro either. The on-call vet mentioned that she'd seen some good results with it, but she and I mostly talked about acupuncture and massage as the most likely avenues to pursue. Good to know you saw improvement with acu!

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest boondog

Acupuncture has been absolutely amazing for Dillon's spinal arthritis. As I've said many times before in H&M, I was a total skeptic but figured it couldn't hurt to try. I've been able to keep her off of all pain meds with treatments every 1.5-2 months. I strongly recommend trying acupuncture for Asta. Just make sure you have a certified acupuncturist. Good luck!

Thanks, boondog. Sounds like acupuncture has been wonderful for your pup! I've actually used it myself (and loved it), so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for Asta. I like the sound of keeping her off meds as much as possible and also that you're having success with not TOO frequent treatments.

Lisa

Guest boondog

I should say that we did go a little more frequently (about every four weeks) for the first few months. I really hope it helps Asta.

I was an acu skeptic too, until I took Cody for her bad back. It helped immediately and she had it every month until she died, 18 months later! I am now a believer and IF my insurance covered it, I'd be having it too!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

FWIW, when someone has a neck/back issue here, this is what we do:

-1- continue meds until there are no symptoms while on meds, plus 3-10 days (depending on how bad it was)

-2- be very strict about restricting activity for 3 weeks AFTER symptoms disappear and meds are finished. No stairs, no jumping in and out of cars, no jumping up and down from furniture, no craziness with toys, no offleash turnouts.

-2- is a pain in the butt, but it works.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.