Breakthrough Treatment Of Corns

Sounds good if it works. What a lot of happy hounds there would be if it does. Having said that, I have put verrucca gel on Sonny's corn for weeks on end and it finally disappeared and he has been corn free for a couple of months or more now.

Sue from England

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest courser

We have a fantastic vet though, who is constantly doing research into new things we can try, and just came across a vet who has used azithromycin with success. WELL ---- after just a few days on it, one of Riley's small corns surfaced and popped out with the ENTIRE root. He's on his 2nd course, and the two large ones we've been battling are surfacing at half the size, and in the same way as the smaller one. I'm very optimistic that in the next few days, we'll get both corns with the whole root (finally), and hopefully nip this in the bud. I'm glad to know there are other options, just in case this doesn't turn out as well as it looks right now.

Liz

Would love to get info on this treatment too. Did an online search and didn't find much of anything I could give my vet.

I'd hate for all of us to e-mail and call so if someone could post the information they find out I know a lot of us would appreciate it. I'd love to know if you need a prescription and what the cost is.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hi Beryl,

Thanks so much for the post! I went to the forum and read some of the posts.

How do we join? Regarding the creams, there are two, one is OTC, and one is RX. I always tell people to start with the OTC one, try to soften the pad by soaking in warm salt water for about 5-10 minutes, dry and apply the cream, rub in well and cover with a bootie or even Saran wrap for about 15 min to occlude the area and keep the cream in place so the animal can't lick it off, but even if they were to lick the OTC version it is harmless. The woman on the story used the cream early on and it went away ( and hasnot come back) in 7-10 days. The other Grey Stella has had hers for years but hers is about to come out after 2 months! At a price of 59 for about 2 months I would say this is better than $700!!

Please feel free to copy and paste this info on Greytalk and thanks again! Early treatment is key here but there is hope even for the tough cases!

Take care,

Susan

Susan Merenstein,RPh

Murray Avenue Apothecary

received this from Susan this am

She has read the posts and I am sure she would not mind answering questions.

Edited by 6greyhounds

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Awesome.

I never could get the video to play and was going to write them directly. So if this is repetitive info for some, I apologize in advance, but figure there might be others out there that are also dying to know more about this treatment but can't get the video to play.

The Vet I take Pete to for his corn is the medical advisor to GPA-MD, and if this is a promising treatment word will spread.

Ms. Merenstein-

What is in the mixture? I realize you do have trade secrets, but I wouldn't want to put anything on my dog that I didn't have a basic idea of the components.

What is the treatment protocol and duration?

Are there any side effects?

How can folks outside the Pittsburgh area try the treatment on their dogs? Is it possible for us to order it from you? If you could prepare a downloadable order form, we could pay you through paypal.

Thanks for answering my questions, and lending your expertise to try and help Greyhounds.

Man, I wish we had known about this for Andy. He suffered so with a corn on his right foot.:( Thanks for the information. Now if one of my pups develops a corn, I'll know where to go.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

big brindle bunny I have copied your questions and will try and get them to Susan. I hope she is reading all your questions and get back to me.

I think she would like to join us here on this board what do you all think? Hey a resident Pharmacist

Edited by 6greyhounds

Guest bigbrindlebunny

big brindle bunny I have copied your questions and will try and get them to Susan. I hope she is reading all your questions and get back to me.

I think she would like to join us here on this board what do you all think? Hey a resident Pharmacist

You bet!!!

unless you think seeing how weird and crazy Greyhound owners are will discourage her...tongue.gif

Since there are a lot of ways to remove a corn, I am far more interested in whether this treatment prevents them from returning. What is the evidence for that?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

hopefully Susan can answer your question Jackandgrey. I have been trying to keep in touch with her via e-mail and sending her all your questions. If mine were to get corns I would rather do this type of treatment and not surgery

Guest PhillyPups

I don't think invitations are sent to certain people to join GT, but I am just a GT member. :dunno It is simple enough to join GT, all you need is a valid e-mail address, a user name and a love for greyhounds.

If the pharmacist is reading this thread and has come to the opening page, she knows she could easily enough join.

I wish I had known about this for The Queen she suffered with corns on all 4 feet. I used duct tape method, which did not prevent recurrence, just intermediate relief.

I don't think invitations are sent to certain people to join GT, but I am just a GT member. :dunno It is simple enough to join GT, all you need is a valid e-mail address, a user name and a love for greyhounds.

If the pharmacist is reading this thread and has come to the opening page, she knows she could easily enough join.

I wish I had known about this for The Queen she suffered with corns on all 4 feet. I used duct tape method, which did not prevent recurrence, just intermediate relief.

I was just trying to be funny on that post. Trying to cheer myself up after being to the cemetery today

Guest jerzyjen

I called the pharmacy this morning and was able to speak directly to Susan, she was very nice and infomative. It was easy enough to give my name, address and CC # and they will be shipping out the OTC cream. Since we are still in the early stages and have pretty much done no treatment yet it will be a good test for me to see if it works effectively. I also put in my order for Therapaws and now maybe we can start going for walks!! Yay!

I called the pharmacy this morning and was able to speak directly to Susan, she was very nice and infomative. It was easy enough to give my name, address and CC # and they will be shipping out the OTC cream. Since we are still in the early stages and have pretty much done no treatment yet it will be a good test for me to see if it works effectively. I also put in my order for Therapaws and now maybe we can start going for walks!! Yay!

Greyt news and I hope it helps. Please keep us posted

Just received this from Susan

Dear Greyhound Caretaker,

In the world of compounding, we are always trying to solve problems. We were approached by a greyhound owner to help resolve a painful corn and callus problem that unfortunately plagues many rescued greyhounds.

Our goal in creating this cream was to do the following:

Soften the area, provide anti-inflammatory/pain relief, provide anti-fungal and antiseptic relief, draw out the corn, and finally heal and prevent recurrence. Happily the first dog had relief in 10 days and was able to run and walk and play without pain.

The owner was amazed to say the least and we have since had similar success with other greyhound sufferers. We have found that if one starts the treatment early on, results may be seen faster.

The woman on the story used the cream early on and it went away (and has not come back) in 7-10 days. The other Greyhound has had hers for years but the corn is coming out after 2 months!

We want to work with vets and owners and shelters alike.

We are Pittsburgh’s Pet Pharmacy and are proud to be a part of such a wonderful community of greyhound owners and caretakers.

We are attaching an information sheet to this e-mail for your review.

Typically, the cream takes 48-72 hours to prepare and can be sent via USPS or FedEX everywhere! The price is only $59 for about 1-2 months of treatment.

The cream is non-prescription, and is non-toxic if the animal does lick it after the occlusion period of 10-15 minutes.

Thanks so much for your interest and support of this worthwhile product.

Any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me or my intern, Erica Trimble.

Yours in health,

Susan Merenstein, Pharmacist/Owner

Erica Trimble, PharmD Intern

Second part of the e-mail

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream

This drug information sheet is to be used as a guide to counsel patients on the use and side effects of this medication.

Medication:

Use:

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream (a Murray Avenue Apothecary proprietary formula)- helps soften and heal the skin, promote removal of corns and calluses, and has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties.

How to take and store this medicated cream:

- Follow the directions exactly as they are written on the tube of medication.

- Soak the foot/paw for 5-10 minutes in a salt water bath. Pat dry. Apply cream and massage in well. Wrap the area with saran wrap or use a bootie for 15 minutes following application to occlude area allow the cream to be well absorbed.

- Store the medicine at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.

- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.

Side Effects:

The product may cause the following local adverse reactions may occur: transient stinging, burning, itching and irritation.

Precautions:

- For topical use only.

- Do not apply to wounds or areas of open skin. May be applied around wounds.

- Avoid contact with eyes, lips, and mucous membranes.

- If you do get medicine in your eyes, rinse your eyes with water and call your doctor.

- Wash your hands with soap and water after using this medicine.

Guest bluefawn

I wonder if the cream can be used where a corn has been hulled? Is that considered, "areas of open skin"? Wonder if you would have to wait for a new corn to develop before using it?? I am anxious see the updates from users!

I wonder if the cream can be used where a corn has been hulled? Is that considered, "areas of open skin"? Wonder if you would have to wait for a new corn to develop before using it?? I am anxious see the updates from users!

Beryl,

This cream may be used as a preventive as well…..but of course we don’t want to put into a wound, let the wound heal and then start applying the cream preventatively…about 1-5 times a week.

Susan

Hi All.... I know how patiently you have been awaiting info about our Greyhound corn treatment that was on the news. I have posted information below. We appreciate all of your interest and support! We are only here to help! Please feel free to contact us at 412-421-4996 or email at erica@murrayavenuerx.com.

This drug information sheet is to be used as a guide to counsel patients on the use and side effects of this medication.

Medication:

Use:

Greyhound/Corn and Callus Cream (a Murray Avenue Apothecary proprietary formula)- helps soften and heal the skin, promote removal of corns and calluses, and has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties.

How to take and store this medicated cream:

- Follow the directions exactly as they are written on the tube of medication.

- Soak the foot/paw for 5-10 minutes in a warm salt water bath. Pat dry. Apply cream and massage in well. Wrap the area with saran wrap or use a bootie for 15 minutes following application to occlude area allow the cream to be well absorbed.

- Optimal results are typically seen with twice a day applications.

- Resolution has been seen in as little as 10 days but may take up to 2 months with repeated use.

- Store the medicine at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.

Side Effects:

It is possible that the following mild reactions may occur: mild localized irritation to surrounding skin. This cream is non-toxic if used properly and the paw is occluded for 10-15 minutes after application.

Precautions:

- For topical use only.

- Do not apply to wounds or areas of open skin. May be applied around wounds.

- Avoid contact with eyes, lips, and mucous membranes.

- If you do get medicine in your eyes, rinse your eyes with water and call your doctor.

- Wash your hands with soap and water after using this medicine.

For more information, please feel free to call the pharmacist Susan Merenstein or intern Erica Trimble between the hours of 9a and 5p at 412-421-4996.

Guest mountain4greys

Hi Susan, Hi Beryl, I went and bookmarked the info. for any future use. Like my DW says, "When you have 24 feet on 6 greyhound bodies, something can happen." I try and save any foot related problems. :)