Blood! Blood Everywhere!

Guest LunaTygerCat

Guest LunaTygerCat

I came home from errands, took my girl Athena for a quick walk, came back inside and then remebered I needed to ask my neighbor a question. I was litterally gone for only three minutes and I came back to little puddles of blood all over the carpet. I had to chase Athena through the apartment and pin her down to see where she was bleeding from. It was a little tiny scape on her paw pad on her back right leg. So after getting it cleaned and bandaged, I finally pulled out the Spot Bot and got all the blood out. Who knew that such a tiny scrape could bleed so much. She walks on it just fine, unless she wants a ttention, then she limps. So my plan is to change out the bandage after I walk her and keep antibac on it. Am I missing anything?

Been there! A while back, Naples and Gunnar were playing in the living room, when I saw little spots of blood. Naples was the culprit, having a small cut on a rear foot.

I still have no clue how it happened, but it was a really tough one to get stopped! I finally did, with copious amounts of styptic powder, then wrapped gauze and vet wrap around it.

At the time, we had a really tough berber carpet, so I just scrubbed the spots with Nature's Miracle and a nylon scrub brush. The spots came out well.

For the OP's case, depending on your weather right now (ours is wet and sloppy!), you may need to wrap the foot with a plastic bag, to keep things dry when outside. What I did for Manero (when he cut his foot a few years ago, requiring surgery) was use cheap sandwich bags from the dollar store, and tape to secure. It does not really matter what kind of tape if you are leash walking the dog, and just tape the bag itself to secure it. Don't tape to the dog's leg - no need to...it does not have to stay on that long!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest LunaTygerCat

Today the scrape looks better, but I am still cleaning it/changing the bandage/putting antibac on it. The sandwich bag thing really works. Ahtena is just being a goofball, she limps for a few minutes then goes back to walking normally. Quite cute to watch. Besides swelling, is there anything else I should look for?

Guest Energy11

Sounds like you are doing all the right things!

You'd look for redness, pus, swelling, tenderness, etc.

I'd clean the wound daily, and keep up the antibacterial ointment. IF you see any signs of infection, you might need to get some Keflex or other antibiotic from the vet.

Good Luck!